Why didn't they do Ortega vs Stephen's at UFC 227?

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Seems like it would make the most sense. Give Stephen's enough time to cut the weight as opposed to UFC 226. I don't think Max Halloway is coming back any time soon. If at all. Ortega just can't wait forever.

Plus I live in L.a. and considering going to this event and if this fight were made I'd go for sure, still debating whether to go or not.

Because Aldo is gonna dominate Stephens in 9 days.

Aldo will beat Stephens, and then it will be Ortega/Aldo for the belt after Max vacates and moves up to 155.

Seems like it would make the most sense. Give Stephen's enough time to cut the weight as opposed to UFC 226. I don't think Max Halloway is coming back any time soon. If at all. Ortega just can't wait forever.

Plus I live in L.a. and considering going to this event and if this fight were made I'd go for sure, still debating whether to go or not.
Ortega is the #1 contender. I think he made it clear that his next fight is for the belt.
Unless UFC wants to make this fight for the real belt, Ortage is not interested.

Because Brock!!!!!!@@!!

giphy.gif

Sorry.

I am in the same boat. The problem with announcing this fight is they still dont know whats up with holloway. It would be a disservice to him if hes able to come back soon (he wont)

They don't want to screw Canada pretty much. If Stephens starches Aldo then maybe they still make the fight for UFC 228.

UFC doesn't remove fighters from one card to another to appease individual fans' desires, that's why. Lol

Didn’t Ortega turn it down? Thought I read that.... maybe I’m making that up..

Ortega is the #1 contender. I think he made it clear that his next fight is for the belt.
Unless UFC wants to make this fight for the real belt, Ortage is not interested.
this seems to be Ortega's answer to TS's question.

and not an interim either.

now i hope aldo beats him for him complaining about not getting the ortega fight.

Ortega made it clear he’s not fighting Stephens

Lol Aldo will never be champ in the ufc again.

What has Stephens done recently to deserve a title shot? Who has he beat to deserve one?

He's lost to Frankie, Holloway, and Swanson. His best win recently has been against Emmett, who still isn't proven against top 10 fighters other than one good win against Lamas.

Stephens doesn't deserve an interim title more than any of the people i've mentioned. He's fine where he is to fight Aldo. At the moment, he has no claim to a shot other than being Dana's opportunistic yes man.

As of now, i'd rather see Mendes, Edgar, Aldo, or Swanson fight Ortega, as they all deserve it more than Stephens.

Back