Why didn't the sequel trilogy focus on Luke?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In my view the sequel trilogy was always supposed to continue Luke's arc. Whether or not we see him succumb to the dark side and then redeem himself or what have you, it was supposed to be about Luke. I think that's why from the beginning I had a bad taste in my mouth about these new movies - they just focus on the wrong things.

Was it because Mark Hamill didn't want to be involved that much or because Disney and the story runners didn't want to go that route?

Hilarious,

Bad taste in your mouth.

Because it's current year and Luke is a straight white male. Get with the program, buddeh

After listening to some Star Wars podcasts, I'm getting the impression that the 9 movies weren't the Skywalker saga, but the Palpatine saga.

Luke? A white male? Gtfo of here bigot

I took my kids to see Rise... yesterday. I guess they liked it, although I did hear a lot of questions about why/how the emperor came back to life. I, however, thought it was garbage. I know Lucas supposedly didn’t care about the big war component of the story and instead wanted to create some crappy family soap opera. But is there anyone else out there who cares about that? You’ve got this massive intergalactic war as a frame for your story and this is what you give us? Were it not all so laughably bad, I’d be really offended.

In my view the sequel trilogy was always supposed to continue Luke's arc. Whether or not we see him succumb to the dark side and then redeem himself or what have you, it was supposed to be about Luke. I think that's why from the beginning I had a bad taste in my mouth about these new movies - they just focus on the wrong things.

Was it because Mark Hamill didn't want to be involved that much or because Disney and the story runners didn't want to go that route?

because he is as straight white christian male

As much as you’ve participated in the SW threads and you still need to ask?

You know full well that the only mandate Iger had for KK was to make money. Other than that, she was allowed to do what she wanted. So do you make movies for the old fan base, or make movies for a new younger fan base?

So why would a fully woke woman in power cater to the old fans with a new trilogy about a white male main character? Not in this day and age of social justice.
upload_2020-1-4_23-32-46.jpeg

Cause it's this new era. New gen doesn't wanna see an older guy, no matter how strong in the force he is, take up a majority of the screen time.

So they littered it with fresh faces, corny dialogue and merchandise ops. The kids will love it.

They completely ruined any post ROTJ books or material which was actually great, and replaced it with a sloppy, copy n paste project with little originality. Hollywood at its finest.

Last edited:
Cause it's this new era. New gen doesn't wanna see an older guy, no matter how strong in the force he is, take up a majority of the screen time.

So they littered it with fresh faces, corny dialogue and merchandise ops. The kids will love it.

They completely ruined any post ROTJ books or material which was actually great, and replaced it with a sloppy, copy n paste project with little originality. Hollywood at its finest.
Be that as it may, it's losing more money than last jedi, and rightfully so.

Meanwhile, the marvel movies, dominantly headlined by older white males made money.

These movie makers need to keep with whats known to sell.

yeah, but those guys are very handsome....Luke is so fugly they had to invent the abominable snowman to 'splain his Moe Szyslak like ugliness
umm acchktually.....he was involved in an accident between anh and esb

Because tye prequels didn't make sense either. Should have had the clones go nuts and then palpatine start a fascist order and slowly seize power. With clones and their loyalty, why was the Senate still necessary? It was dumb

Be that as it may, it's losing more money than last jedi, and rightfully so.

Meanwhile, the marvel movies, dominantly headlined by older white males made money.

These movie makers need to keep with whats known to sell.

At the end of the day quality will out, better written characters in better films will keep people going to the cinema for longer.

The idea of tokenism as a negative seems to have pretty much been forgotten(or deliberately ignored) by the media. I do think theres a case that women tend to be underrepresented in such films, I mean there have obviously been good female leads going back to the 80's or earlier like Ripley but they have tended to be in the minority. A lot of what we see today though isn't really addressing that, its cheap tokenism looking to exploit the politics in a shallow fashion to cover weak material.

To me a film like Fury Road has a genuinely well written female action hero or indeed Black Wdiow/Scarlett Witch in the MCU. Rey as a character isn't well written, she is about as close to a Mary Sue as you'll get lacking in any real substance. The ironic thing is though I think this means the films don't tend to be about her, in TFA really the central drama comes from Han and in TLJ it comes from Luke, these characters are basically milked to give Rey's story substance.

I actually think part of the problem with TROS is that they didn't have the existing characters to fall back on anymore beyond supporting roles like 3PO, Rey, Finn and Poe had to stand up and provide the drama but there was no drama there because theres no substance to them.

Because Disney didn't want to be in the Mark Hamill business. They hate him, and it shows.

It was because Kathleen Kennedy is a feminist cunt, and dictated her Star Wars movies would be filled with social agenda narratives and characters - Effectively making all new movies in the greatest SciFi series ever to be propaganda.

Oh, you wanted Luke, Han, and Leia to be up-front and center? Fuck you.

You wanted meaningful and epic Star Wars movies? Fuck you.

You will pay for a ticket to sit in a theater and have Mickey Mouse's dick shoved down your throat.

Back