Why didn't GSP pursue a Hendricks rematch?

I remember thinking to myself that despite what GSP said about retiring post fight that he would go after Hendricks in a rematch to clear any doubt but he didn't come back. GSP never said anything about peds and testing during the earlier part of his career which everyone knows that ped usage was far more easier to get away with. I feel like GSP retiring at that point was for reasons other than just the whole ped testing situation. I always thought that GSP couldn't be out for longer than 2 years but he didn't come back until 2017
1. Hendricks was saucin'
2. GSP won

He retired, and I think he was fed up with the UFC not being serious about drug testing and leaving him hanging out to dry when he tried to be.

Because well before the fight he'd already planned to take time off.

Reactions: lsa
I believe he was unhappy with the drug testing process prior to the fight, and his gut told him Hendricks was juicing.

Thanks man, I'll have to fish out the interview. I do remember gsp shouting something to his corner man about how strong Hendricks was.

I remember thinking to myself that despite what GSP said about retiring post fight that he would go after Hendricks in a rematch to clear any doubt but he didn't come back. GSP never said anything about peds and testing during the earlier part of his career which everyone knows that ped usage was far more easier to get away with. I feel like GSP retiring at that point was for reasons other than just the whole ped testing situation. I always thought that GSP couldn't be out for longer than 2 years but he didn't come back until 2017

Come to think of it, it took him three years to rematch Penn, and Penn did far more damage to GSP than Hendricks did (GSP went straight to the press conference after Hendricks, but went straight to the hospital with no press conference after the first Penn fight). Hendricks was only GSP's fourth hardest fight (being finished by Hughes and Serra were the hardest, and then the first Penn fight was the third hardest).

Which suggests that GSP considers a win a win, and so didn't feel a need to rematch either Penn or Hendricks. He did eventually rematch Penn when the UFC set it up, so its possible that if he and Hendricks had both remained active he would have eventually rematched Hendricks.

That raises a question: how many fighters who won a controversial decision have gone out of their way to arrange a rematch? It might be a lot for all I know, I've really no idea.

He needs to go to bare knuckle fighting to chase Hendricks now.

Because GSP is a pro, and like Fedor Emelianenko, he's a true martial artist. He was tired of fighting Steroids Freaks, and Hendricks was one of the worst offender. After he won , he got the fuck out, tired of UFC's bullshit.
GSP's exit from the sport started a serie of events that made the UFC deal a partnership with USADA.
Once the sport was a least a bit cleaner, GSP went to add to his already legendary career, while Hendricks was somewhere eating burgers.

Fighting Hendricks post USADA would be a waste of a fight for GSP, it was obvious that Hendricks looked like shit without his PED's.

I believe this is it.

thanks for reposting this

for me, the gem was GSP criticizing himself for not taking a stand pre-fight when Hendricks reneged on independent testing

I appreciate that about GSP. He is willing to be honest about his mistakes

This is what tarnishes his legacy.

That fight was a clear win for Hendricks. GSP should have done the rematch before retiring. Retiring the way he did makes it look like he dominated every fighter he fought, finally fights someone who can give him a run for his money and then retires.

Judges, scorecards and every record-keeping website on the 'net shows that GSP was the winner. You account of history is inaccurate.

because the winner does not need to chase the rematch. then hendricks went off and gained a bunch of weight and his career plummeted. meanwhile gsp retired because he said he had to take care of some things and get away from fighting - which he did. even after making his one return fight bhe seemed to know he was done. i applaud him for retiring on his terms and not feeling the need to go way past his prime like so many other fighters desperate to relive their glory days.

Back