Why didn't GSP pursue a Hendricks rematch?

I think you should ask usada. They retired Jonny before GSP could have a rematch.

I cant sit here and question whether georges was on peds or not. Its pretty clear he was an absolute speciman his whole life even before pro mma fights. What you can and should question was his willingness to fight after he got smoked by 70% pig rigg. He tucked his tail between his legs and ran out of dodge when twood, rory, robbie and others started coming up. He came bsck to fight a one eyed cyclops that was a layup fight for him and then years later at 39 decides hes going to drop down to fake challenge a guy who is already comitted to another champjonship bout. Its crystal clear gsp doesnt want to fight. I could see him going after joe benevidez before he goes after usman or izzy.

While I disagree with nearly everything that you said, the epicness of your rhetoric couldn't go unnoticed.
Well Done!

Herb picked it up and feinted stopping the action to give it to him. Anderson is a master of timing and took the opportunity. Not illegal but certainly a cheap shot.

I must've remembered it wrong.
Thank you!

Yeah I know all about his "I got the shits from the thought of fighting guys like romero" disease.
So, refusing to accept what the fighter says because it helps your narrative?

Since its GSP, you'll get likes from the same minded folks!

Because he had been fighting high level opponents for years and needed a break.

Reactions: lsa
I cant sit here and question whether georges was on peds or not. Its pretty clear he was an absolute speciman his whole life even before pro mma fights. What you can and should question was his willingness to fight after he got smoked by 70% pig rigg. He tucked his tail between his legs and ran out of dodge when twood, rory, robbie and others started coming up. He came bsck to fight a one eyed cyclops that was a layup fight for him and then years later at 39 decides hes going to drop down to fake challenge a guy who is already comitted to another champjonship bout. Its crystal clear gsp doesnt want to fight. I could see him going after joe benevidez before he goes after usman or izzy.

As much as I enjoyed GSP smashing Penn in their second fight that didn't go to the death... I can't disagree with anything you just said. People can say blah blah blah testing blah blah blah but this is pretty much accurate and it's all about the $$$$ and health at the end of the day.

Silva in his prime was an absolute monster at 185... no one at 170 wanted any of that.

As much as I enjoyed GSP smashing Penn in their second fight that didn't go to the death... I can't disagree with anything you just said. People can say blah blah blah testing blah blah blah but this is pretty much accurate and it's all about the $$$$ and health at the end of the day.

Silva in his prime was an absolute monster at 185... no one at 170 wanted any of that.

In the case of Prime Silva vs Prime Georges, I say Silva via savagery

So, refusing to accept what the fighter says because it helps your narrative?

Since its GSP, you'll get likes from the same minded folks!
It's just too perfect. Who gets colitis going up a weight class? Name 1 other guy. GSP was never small at 170 and looked to have gained a serious amount of weight at one point back after he retired in 2013. I just looked it up, it was back in 2014. He looked bigger than he did against Bisping.

Attachments

• BtWkjVECcAAGo2F.jpg
    BtWkjVECcAAGo2F.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 4
It's just too perfect. Who gets colitis going up a weight class? Name 1 other guy. GSP was never small at 170 and looked to have gained a serious amount of weight at one point back after he retired in 2013. I just looked it up, it was back in 2014. He looked bigger than he did against Bisping.

It's documented that the pool picture is when he was rehabbing from his double knee injury. All he could train is his upper body and he couldn't do any cardio. Tell me in what fight he had that upper body, ill wait.

I remember thinking to myself that despite what GSP said about retiring post fight that he would go after Hendricks in a rematch to clear any doubt but he didn't come back. GSP never said anything about peds and testing during the earlier part of his career which everyone knows that ped usage was far more easier to get away with. I feel like GSP retiring at that point was for reasons other than just the whole ped testing situation. I always thought that GSP couldn't be out for longer than 2 years but he didn't come back until 2017

Hendricks was GSP's fourth hardest fight. The two hardest were his first fights with Serra and Hughes, both of which finished him. His third hardest was his first fight with BJ, who sent GSP straight to the hospital (he couldn't even go to the press conference, which he easily did after the Hendricks fight).

So why did he want rematches with those (though he waited a long time for the Penn rematch), but not with Hendricks? Because he'd been fighting a long time and had been talking of retiring since wrecking his ACL a few years before (he had surgery, but it wasn't completely successful).

Usually your fourth hardest fight isn't the one you retire after, but it is if you were talking about retiring before anyway. If he'd easily beaten Hendricks he might have been tempted to do one more fight, but the hard fight probably confirmed what he'd already thought -- he was burnt out and needed to retire.

Hendricks retired gsp at the young age of 32

that’s when Georges decided he was only going challenge Bisping-level fighters from his own era

Bisping retired GSP for good at age 36. But he doesn't get much credit for that. Hughes and Serra both gave GSP his toughest fights (they finished him), but they don't get much credit for that either. And Penn hospitalized GSP in their first fight (GSP went straight to the hospital, no press conference after GSP-Penn 1, Hendricks didn't do that much damage), but doesn't get credit for that either.

Beats me why Hendricks gets so much credit for what was only GSP's fourth hardest fight. Hughes and Serra are the ones who really, 100% beat GSP.

gsp retired after, Hendricks was pretty much spent within a year of that very close GSP fight. Some people only have a moment of greatness in them. GSP was elite from 2005 until 2013, a very impressive stretch.

I mean, it wasn't just PEDs that made him quit. He talked pretty openly about "losing time" that was fucking with his brain. And he also tore his knee before that fight then later his other knee. I wouldn't come back either unless it was for a shitload of money.

Hendricks won that fight. Although today's judges would probably give it to GSP because of his reign like they do to Jones. It's not brought up because of how unprofessional Hendricks was post USADA, but yeah GSP was talking retirement right after that fight

Rarely do we see fighters win bad decisions like that and come back and win a rematch.
He would've done to GSP what Shogun did in the rematch to Machida.

Dude already had one foot out the door at that point - the Hendricks fight just confirmed his retirement.

Getting wasted in a rematch would've been much more horrible for his legacy than retiring off a terrible decision - his retirement was the definition of taking his ball and going home but it worked out well for him.

He did duck the every loving fuck out of Whittaker though.

That should of been in the deal before GSP could fight anyone else. He would have to rematch Hendricks first

GSP had come through a serious knee injury and then within a year of his comeback, he comes within a whisker of losing his belt.

If he wanted to go out on top; why rematch Hendricks? Recognising he dodged a banana skin was a smart move.

Back