Why Didn't Bisping Help Brendan Loughnane Get UFC Contract? (He's Also From Manchester)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Red Belt Platinum Member

Brendan Loughnane Receives Many Offers After UFC Snub

After years of flying under the radar in the U.S., British featherweight Brendan Loughnane finally became the topic of water-cooler MMA discussion last week, but not for the reasons he would have hoped.

Loughnane (17-3 MMA), a former late replacement competitor in “The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes,” whose record includes two highly questionable split-decision losses and a third defeat he subsequently avenged by knockout, decided to shoot his shot with the UFC via Dana White’s Contender Series 17, a platform where winning isn’t always enough to earn a UFC contract.

And while Loughnane’s all-action performance to defeat fellow hot prospect and Ring of Combat featherweight champion Bill Algeo was seemingly enough to impress the watching audience, a takedown attempt in the dying seconds of the fight was enough to convince UFC president Dana White not to offer Loughnane a contract.

White’s decision prompted social media outcry from both sides of the pond. Speaking to MMA Junkie, Loughnane said he was at peace with his part in the night’s action.

“To be honest, I’ve literally just watched it back with my coach for the first time,” Loughnane said. “I did everything I could. What more could a man do? I’ve put everything into the fight, had a great camp, went in there and performed to the best of my ability. That’s pretty much all you can do in this sport. So I’m pretty content, and there’s no hard feelings to Dana. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don’t.”

“English reporters and fighters have always known my capabilities, and thank God I finally got to show that on the world stage,” he added. “I got to show a massive array of skills. I got to show my takedowns, my right hand, my ground game. The guy’s supposed to be a black belt and a Division I wrestler, and I outwrestled him and outgrappled him. It’s pretty unusual for an English guy to do that.”

Loughnane admitted he thought his performance was more than enough to warrant a contract offer, and his teammate, former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, was of a similar opinion. Watching the other fights that night only served to further convince the Englishman that he’d done enough to stand out from the crowd.

“Yeah, especially after watching the other fights,” Loughnane said. “There was nothing that jumped out to say, ‘Oh, this guy’s definitely getting one,’ so looking back at that, and going on my phone and seeing the reaction of everyone back home and how much everyone loved the fight, I thought I’d pretty much guaranteed it.

“Then obviously it was pretty weird to see the explanation of things and why I didn’t get it. It felt like something was pretty off. I still don’t know what it is to this day.”

Loughnane revealed that no one from the UFC spoke to him after the fights – even after the cameras stopped rolling at the Apex. As he described the bizarre post-fight moment, he realized it was time to pack up and go home.

“I never spoke to anyone from the UFC after the fight,” Loughnane said. “I was left on the chair, and no one even said: ‘Get up, it’s finished,’ or anything like that. I’d never seen Dana before or after it. I’d never seen Sean Shelby before or after it. I was basically left sat there in front of a camera, and I ended up getting up and walking out of the arena. It was surreal.”

But while his fans have vented their frustration at White for opting to pass on the crowd-pleasing Englishman, Loughnane is taking a more philosophical view of his situation.

“I know what I signed up for,” he said. “I signed up for one fight, and ultimately it was up to Dana, even if I won. So I knew what I was getting myself into, so there’s no hard feelings with Dana or the UFC.”

That more measured response could be due to the events that occurred after he left the Apex last Tuesday night. In the days that followed his Contender Series win, Loughnane received a string of communications from an array of prominent MMA promotions wanting to discuss terms. And with his initial dream of the UFC seemingly dead, Loughnane says he now has a plethora of options to consider.

“My stock’s through the roof. I’ve got plenty of offers on the table, and it’s about time to make some money now,” he said. “I’m 29, I’m not getting any younger, so I am out for the highest bidder, whoever that may be.

“Since this fight, I’ve spoken to PFL, ONE Championship, Bellator, and KSW,” he revealed. “I already had those guys on the table before the fight. Nothing’s changed. And they all reached out to me straight after the fight.

“Like I say, get the money out, and the highest bidder, I will go there. I don’t care about fighting in Asia, fighting in Poland, the States, wherever. I will go wherever now. I’m a seasoned veteran and wherever the money is, I will go.”

Loughnane is currently in the process of working out if his one-fight deal to compete in the Contender Series includes a 28-day matching period. But once that hurdle is cleared, the Mancunian mixed martial artist says he’ll be raring to go again.

“Once I clarify that, I’ll move on, and a signature will be imminent with someone else,” Loughnane said. “There’s some good offers on the table right now. I’m going to sit with my team, see about this 28-day window thing and go from there. I’ve not heard a word from the UFC, so we’ll see.”

And the plan for Loughnane is a simple one: sign a big contract and take big fights.

“I love the pressure of big fights and big occasions,” Loughnane said. “(I want to) take good fights, high-profile fights, travel the world with my coach and my team, and just have fun, man. And make some good money in the meantime.

“My nose is healed up now, and I’m back in the gym today for the first time, and I want to be out once or twice before the end of the year.”

Seemingly galvanized by the experience of fighting on the Contender Series and receiving the response he did, the Manchester lad now can’t wait to sign a contract and return to action with a promotion who really wants him.

By August, he says, he’ll be signed, sealed and ready to roll.

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/06/brendan-loughnane-opens-up-dana-white-ufc-snub-offers-on-table

2. Verace

Verace Silver Belt

Here i am, thinking this would be a story involving bisping, just to read this gigantic wall of text and realize the thread title is actually a fucking question

<JonesDXSuckIt>

3. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom Belt of Skulls [÷X]

How much more does Mike need to do to help Manchester out? Did loughnane conceive, or even believe he'd achieve?

Shut the fuck up, buddeh
    <28>