Why didnt Anderson face the reigning LHW champ when he was the MW champ?

They wernt handpicked opponents, like 4 of the top 10 guys turned down Anderson for a fight until Forrest said fuck it and put his hand up... same thing happened with Irvin.
Hi toner.

Dana no let me fight the roy jones either

Is normal

I have never understood why the fearless Anderson Silva never jumped up to light heavyweight and faced the champ.

He sure faced stiff competition in light heavyweight being none other than James Irvin
20100320050418_img_9166_medium.jpg
and the two TUF season one finalists... How impressive is that!!??

Why did Anderson not want to face legit competition at light heavyweight? Was he scared he would get absolutely starched? If any of you are gonna say 'wahh wahh Forrest just lost the championship in his last fight!' just dont. Forrest is not a good fighter. He pulled 2 miracles out of his ass during his career, one the first shogun fight, two the rampage fight. When Forrest wasnt pulling miracles out of his ass he was running from the cage crying that he lost.

So what gives? Why did Anderson never challenge real competition at light heavyweight?
Spider vs Horn 1.png

Spider vs Horn 2.png

dildos is like the new Claude or i reckon this is Claudes secondary account.

Claude is primarily an Anderson hater because Anderson threatened Fedor's P4P status/GOAT status. I've seen him hating on GSP before too. I think Sir Dildo is more of a GSP fan retaliating against Anderson fans.

Cause he probably would have lost. Make no mistake Forrest was the sixth or seventh best guy in the division when he fought AS. I don't like superfights I don't think the champ is obligated to go up in anyway shape or form. The fact AS took the time and effort to go up to LHW and fought Forrest, Bonnar and Irvin instead of the best though says he was image padding cause youre going to get credit for going up no matter who it is. LHW and MW are mostly interchangeable though, AS is 6 2.

Other poster makes a good point Machida was champ at the time of Forrest thing and until 2013 always had the serious chance of getting the belt back. But that doesn't mean AS couldn't have picked more serious non championship opponents for these one off fights. He'd have been helping Machida to knock off his potential rivals.

He'd rather fight James Irvin or Stephan Bonnar

Anderson was Cherry picking, one could say.

again on both occasions of fighting Irvin and Forrest, a number of fighters were offered the fight and turned it down like Rashad, thiago silva, Jardine, etc before those guys accepted...

again on both occasions of fighting Irvin and Forrest, a number of fighters were offered the fight and turned it down like Rashad, thiago silva, Jardine, etc before those guys accepted...

Fair. Not that Jardine would have really changed anything. Would have been interesting to promote Silva v Silva. T Silva is that dude who got cut from the company whose hype never really was proven wrong. He just rarely lost to a top guy like Gus and Shad had some PED issues I think, but for all we know he's one of the best LHW's ever and he just never got his shot. Most bizzare thing I've ever seen.

Irvin though at that point might as well cancel the event.

Claude is primarily an Anderson hater because Anderson threatened Fedor's P4P status/GOAT status. I've seen him hating on GSP before too. I think Sir Dildo is more of a GSP fan retaliating against Anderson fans.

The fact that they feel they have to constantly create threads to bash Anderson is just a testament to his greatness..

but i think we need to celebrate all fighters greatness as one rather then loving one and hating the other, im a big Anderson Fan but GSP and Fedor are great i love watchiing them fight, and i will never bash them i am fans of them too its just my favourite is Anderson.

Fair. Not that Jardine would have really changed anything. Would have been interesting to promote Silva v Silva. T Silva is that dude who got cut from the company whose hype never really was proven wrong. He just rarely lost to a top guy like Gus and Shad had some PED issues I think, but for all we know he's one of the best LHW's ever and he just never got his shot. Most bizzare thing I've ever seen.

no but my point is so many people are saying Anderson Picked those guys..he didnt pick them.. he specifically was recorded saying both times that he'll fight anyone at LHW other than the champ. it did not matter to Silva.

a number of guys turned down the fight with Silva before Irvin put his hand up to fight. if you google it you can find the list of names for both times the fighters that turned down the fights... all of them quite big names at least at the time.

The jump from MW to LHW is the biggest weight discrepancy in MMA. It's not like he's jumping up 10 pounds. He came into the bout with Cormier (albeit on very short notice) at 198 pounds. The man is a MW

but i think we need to celebrate all fighters greatness as one rather then loving one and hating the other, im a big Anderson Fan but GSP and Fedor are great i love watchiing them fight, and i will never bash them i am fans of them too its just my favourite is Anderson.

I agree. I used to sometimes participate in Anderson v. GSP/Fedor threads many years ago (never in a bashing way) but I realized it was pointless because in reality I think they're all great and I don't dislike any of them even if sometimes I root against them. It's sometimes fun to talk shit to other fanbases and stuff but these dudes are old af now and I feel like at this point people really should just let it go and appreciate their greatness.

The worst thing about Sherdog is the GOAT conversation. IMO Jones is the GOAT but you could make an argument for about 4-5 guys. The sport is only about 25 years old for fucks sake

Well, the Jones fight is probably the only one that made sense commercially for the UFC, and any version of champ Bones would mercilessly beat the shit out of Andy 100 times out of 100, so there’s that.

thiago silva should have had like a 20-4 record at one point if you took those 3 or so NC's he won that he tested positive for something so he lost out on a win. he hurt rashad in their fight as well. very underrated when he was at his best

Because he was terrified of Jones and Shogun. Made excuses for both but guys like Bonnar were OK

Back