Why did the ref stand Maia/Shields when Maia was on top hitting him but nothing when

A84

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Shields was on top laying on him moving from safe position A to safe position B and rotating?

Yeah, that was a stupid stand up from the ref. Was it from round 4? If it was, Maia still won that round anyway, so I don't think it would have change anything, though. (Shields won 1,2,3, Maia won 4,5).

But stupid standup.

Shields was trying to improve his position. Constantly trying to pass, getting half guard.

Maia on the other hand was resting in guard making no attempt to pass throwing pitter patty punches.

Shields was trying to improve his position. Constantly trying to pass, getting half guard.

Maia on the other hand was resting in guard making no attempt to pass throwing pitter patty punches.

Exactly what I was going to post... It was a bit quick but I had no problem with it.

I thought the same thing, but it didnt change the outcome of the round

Shields was in half guard most of the time, Maia was content to sit in full guard.

i kind of agree. i kept thinking maia cant get up and hes not threatening subs, he should lock him up and get a stand up. thats what shields did and it was smart

on the flip side im a bit surprised the ref stood them so fast since shields had him on his back for about 10 minutes and didnt even bruise him. i thought with the roles reversed he would be more lenient with maia

Probably because Jake had full guard.

Jake would always pass to half guard, or work for side control when he was on top.

I noticed the crowd wasn't booing when Maya sat on top but did when shields was on top. Aren't they supposed to be booing lack of action?

Shields was on top laying on him moving from safe position A to safe position B and rotating?

That seemed like a bad stand up to me too. Maia was actually landing some punches at the time too. It was, at the very least, inconsistent based on what was happening before in the fight.

Back