Why did Sterling win via illegal knee and Weidman lost (vs. Moussasi)?

Kwik Kick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What is the difference between the two situations? Both were hurt by illegal knees.

Didn't they end up deciding moose knees were legal?

Yes, Mousasi pulled Weidman's upper body up which made Weidman no longer grounded cause his hands weren't on the mat, then he kneed him in the head.

both from the same camp.when weedman lost, their camp tweaked the right acting movements for the next performance

Weidman was hurt up until they said it was a legal knee then he was fine.

Weidman wasn't hurt by an illegal knee. Mousasi pulled his arms off the mat then kneed him in the face.

I love the fact that people are arguing its ok to pull a fighters arms up off the canvas, AND THEN knee him, but a guy squatting on his legs is completely defenseless and needs to be protected

Rules need to be practical, and there is nothing practical about the above scenario

The change in how hurt Weidman was when he thought the knee was illegal to how hurt he wasn't when he realised it was actually legal is one of the funniest things I can recall in MMA.

Still my boy though.

I love the fact that people are arguing its ok to pull a fighters arms up off the canvas, AND THEN knee him, but a guy squatting on his legs is completely defenseless and needs to be protected

Rules need to be practical, and there is nothing practical about the above scenario

It is okay, that's the way the rules are, I'm not saying I like it but it is what it is. I would much rather knees and kicks just be allowed on the ground, it makes MMA a lot more interesting and makes knockdowns even more likely to end fights shortly after.

Wanderlei Silva is one of my favorite fighters and he nearly kicked Bisping in the face after dropping him due to his muscle memory from years of fighting in Pride but he was able to stop himself from breaking the rules.

Miragliotta called for the replay, because he initially thought the knees Moose landed was illegal. when they checked the replay, it was evident that Moose lifted Chris up, and when his hands came off the mat, he was no longer a downed opponent, so it was a legal knee strike.

but also, in ny at the time, im not sure of the rules now, if the ref called for replay it meant the fight was over. it was a weird situation. If the fight wasnt stopped cause of the knee, Moose probably would have won anyway, because that knee fucked up Weirdman. But then calling for the replay kind of threw everything on it's head.

Yan there was no controversy. he kneed a downed opponent in the face, opponent couldnt continue, he gets the loss

It is okay, that's the way the rules are, I'm not saying I like it but it is what it is. I would much rather knees and kicks just be allowed on the ground, it makes MMA a lot more interesting and makes knockdowns even more likely to end fights shortly after.

I just think if a rule is in place it needs to be for good reason, and there are too many examples of the grounded rule just not making sense.

Miragliotta called for the replay, because he initially thought the knees Moose landed was illegal. when they checked the replay, it was evident that Moose lifted Chris up, and when his hands came off the mat, he was no longer a downed opponent, so it was a legal knee strike.

but also, in ny at the time, im not sure of the rules now, if the ref called for replay it meant the fight was over. it was a weird situation. If the fight wasnt stopped cause of the knee, Moose probably would have won anyway, because that knee fucked up Weirdman. But then calling for the replay kind of threw everything on it's head.

Yan there was no controversy. he kneed a downed opponent in the face, opponent couldnt continue, he gets the loss

I think Mousasi was taking over the momentum but I don't think Weidman was really that hurt from the knee, I think his corner convinced him into trying to game the rules and it turned out the knee was legal making it a TKO win for Mousasi. It's a shame as I thought the fight was 1-1 at the point of the stoppage.

Something like half an inch of space, lol. Between knee/leg being in contact with the mat or not.

They need to rewrite that rule further, it doesn't work well.

Can't seriously expect refs to be able to keep track on so many thing and be able to tell whether knee's on the mat or a centimetre above.

I just think if a rule is in place it needs to be for good reason, and there are too many examples of the grounded rule just not making sense.

The reason that rule is in place is so MMA could be legal in most of the United States. That's a pretty good reason, but yeah it should eventually change but not a lot of people are asking for it and visually it still looks more brutal to most people than most other strikes.

I personally think it might be better for fighters long term brain health if knees and kicks were legal on the ground, IMO it would lead to quicker stoppages so guys don't get concussions and take a lot more strikes after as often which seems to be a bigger cause of CTE issues than the KOs themselves.

Because Sterling has a knee down where as Weidman didn't have his palms down

"A grounded fighter is defined as: Any part of the body, other than a single hand and soles of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, both hands palm/fist down, and/or any other body part must be touching the fighting area floor. A single knee, arm, makes the fighter grounded without having to have any other body part in touch with the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees to the head will not be allowed."
http://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/unified_rules_fouls_rev0816.pdf

Thats true. This is why the ufc should just get rid of the no head strikes to a grounded opponent rule. Yan’s knee should have been legal with no controversy.

Back