Why did Shannon Brigg's "Let's Go Champ" gimmick never result in a major fight?

Well, it's not a clear thing, Don King once said of Holyfield, "he can't draw flies to a dump" and he said "Ali was a promoter's dream" at one point. I often wonder what they do, especially when most of the guys they work with at the highest level don't need much promotion. It's the same in music too, you'll hear a lot of artists/Record execs point the finger at each other for failed album projects, as Prince once yelled at Clive Davis, "I have to make the album AND promote it?" Really are no easy answers.
Soon as you mentioned music, I knew a Prince reference was coming.

Soon as you mentioned music, I knew a Prince reference was coming.
always baby! but there are a few others, MJ, George Michael and Terence Trent D'arby tried to blame record companies for sabotaging them. How much of it's true, who knows. I know that only in Terence's case, classic music did not get proper appreciation, but you can't force people to buy things.

i found his little gimmick great

but the guy must have been about 50 years old(im not interested in how old he claims to be....look at him)

Shannon Briggs actually did get a title shot for a vacant belt (WBA I think?) in 2016 vs. Fres Oquendo but the fight got cancelled when Briggs failed a drug test. The incident also caused the main person who was backing him financially to bail. That’s why for like, a couple years there really wasn’t a whole lot going on with Shannon Briggs. I think the Logan Paul/KSI fight was his resurrection though lol

I mean he wasn’t great ever and he looked about 60 years old when he took up the gimmick.

If I recall right, it came off as him wanting a shot without going through a few good fighters. And no one took him seriously because of his age. Ali hounded Liston into a fight but to them at the time, it made sense. A popular fighter who could get Sonny a purse with the added bonus of shutting that loudmouth, that's what everyone thought. Same with most things, you have "bring some skin to the game". Everyone tries to get something for nothing and usually it's nothing that they end up with.

Question…why is everything Ali related to you ?

Question…why is everything Ali related to you ?
He influenced almost everyone that came after him. The hounding for a title shot is pure Ali-Liston. I do think much of the influence on other fighters is beyond tired. We dont need anymore loudmouths in the sport.

I mean he wasn’t great ever and he looked about 60 years old when he took up the gimmick.
Word was that he actually had talent but was more concerned with his image.

Back