Why did Rory leave Bellator?

Rory was going through a lot. He had some kind of personality conflict where he turned to religion in the last few fights and felt morally conflicted because he didn’t feel he should be hurting people etc... He talked about it on Helwanis podcast and it was quite odd. He’s definitely not the same guy he used to be.
This 100% -- his skills depreciated overnight. The guy that fought in the beginning of his Bellator contract wasn't the same guy that fought Lima in the rematch. Hell, I was at his fight in San Jose when he fought Fitch and feel that Fitch comfortably won that fight as well. I was surprised that he even fought through the tournament as he really seemed morally conflicted with fighting.

When he first went to Bellator and was talking about becoming a 3 division champion and fighting at heavyweight and then he got completely man handled by Mousasi. That was so incredibly embarrassing to watch, I can't help but think that contributed to his whole mental break down. Fuckin hell that was sad.

Rory's been fighting longer than some sherdoggers have been alive. He started at 16. Factor that in, the physical damage and his turn to Christianity and how that conflicted with his killer instinct and you have a steep decline. I hate it but Pfl is the right choice. Secure the bag and bow out is his strategy I think.

I don't get how people are confused. It's pretty clear cut. If he wins the tournament he gets 1 mil which would take him years in Bellator to earn. Then you look at past winners. Some of them are legit but others wouldn't even be in the top 20 in the UFC. Hell, Sean O'Connell won.
He was in the Bellator WW tourney for the $1m but lost in the finals so he almost had the $1m

His contract was up with Bellator, he's obviously going for the million. Bellator paid him really well AFAIK, but I also remember he was upset with them for not keeping him active enough and having him fight only once or twice a year.

This 100% -- his skills depreciated overnight. The guy that fought in the beginning of his Bellator contract wasn't the same guy that fought Lima in the rematch. Hell, I was at his fight in San Jose when he fought Fitch and feel that Fitch comfortably won that fight as well. I was surprised that he even fought through the tournament as he really seemed morally conflicted with fighting.
And the guy in Bellator wasn't the same guy we saw coming up the ranks either. He looked tired even then. The other guy was hungry and a lion. You can't fight like that forever though, that style burns you out quickly. Unless you're Robbie Lawler.

It isn't some big mystery.

Rory has a high paying contract and does next to nothing to help himself and the promotion to promote himself. It's one of the main reasons the UFC didn't go crazy to resign him also. You also got a guy who sounds like he has one foot out of the sport but at the same time this is how he makes a living right now. So I'm not sure how focused of Rory anyone is getting.

It really is as simple as that.

P.S.: At one time he also voiced some displeasure in getting fights with Bellator. One of the few times he talked to the media, he whined about some displeasure with his employer.

Last edited:
Rory is basically done as far as high level fighting goes. I mean he can probably hang around at the neil magny level for quite a while. And bellator probably didn't offer him what he was hoping

Personally, I think he left because of multiple factors.

The Bellator Welterweight division has some legit talents and I don't know if he saw himself beating Lima ever. Obviously the jump to 185 was too much, so whats that leave him? a fight against MVP, where maybe he wins, or maybe he ends up KOed on a highlight reel.

I also heard he had a transition in his personal life, potentially something with religion and him having trouble hurting people or something, not sure if there is anything to that or not.

Finally, I've been waiting for a really good fighter to do this. PFL is giving out 1 million dollar to the winner of each season at different weight classes and if your someone like Rory that should be an easy payday based off the past PFL talent. He will also be the face of their organization, get a ton of media and offers from it and PFL is on ESPN so he'll be highlighted that way.

PFL tournaments are so dumb, shit quality of opponents and the winners get 1 million?? I really don't get why more good fighters don't join. Look at their HW champion, Philipe Lins, Arlovski schooled him. That dude won 1 million. I don't get it. A guy like Niko Price could win those 1 mill, Volkan, Guillespie, Brunson, etc... But they all stay in UFC

Emiliano Sordi won 1 million last year, that dude lost in the contender series in 15 seconds against Ryan Spang. Spang "won" that 12/12 contract that day lol

A lot of fighters are as dumb as the fans. They think the ufc is the be all end all. Screw that nonsense, go where the money is. They have a short window and should make the most of it.

Had no clue that he left Bellator.

Would have loved to see him back in the UFC. 5 of the 6 losses in his career are to top-notch competition. There is no shame in losing to Robbie during his ascension and championship years, or to Wonderboy when he was in his prime. Lima (whom he had already beat once prior) is currently one of the best welterweights on the planet. And of course there is Mousasi, who would make minced meat out of 95% of all welterweights alive, no shame in that loss either.

Had Rory returned, he would be right up there as a top-5 170 pounder. I'd favour him over Covington, Masvidal, Edwards and Woodley.

Styles make fights.
<WhoJeff>Are u kidding? Guy got his head pounded in there.

PFL is going to air a 6 part documentary about MacDonald starting June 30th:

MacDonald will star in a six-part documentary series called ‘Red King Rundown,’ as the show plans to document his career, signing with the PFL, dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic and more.

“With the launch of Red King Rundown, we’re excited to provide our passionate fanbase with unprecedented access to one of the best MMA fighters of the past decade,” said Dan Ghosh-Roy, Chief Digital Officer of the Professional Fighters League. “Through commentary and insights from Rory and those closest to him, we will tell his inspiring story and explore the experiences that have prepared him for his next challenge, earning a PFL title. This is the type of in-depth storytelling MMA fans crave, and what PFL Studios is committed to delivering.”

The show will release weekly on PFL’s YouTube channel, beginning June 30 and into the month of July. MacDonald looks forward to a fresh start and working towards another championship.

“I’m proud of the man I’ve become inside and outside of the cage and am thankful for the pivotal moments and people who have helped shape me over the years,” said MacDonald. “I’m excited to have my story told in a way that has never been done before. Fans will see why I am ready to dominate the PFL welterweight division, add another title to my resume, and remind the world what I am capable of.”

https://fansided.com/2020/06/23/rory-macdonald-featured-new-pfl-series-red-king-rundown/

I will say it now, that production team better be top notch because Rory isn't going to give them shit that makes anyone get excited to watch six parts of a show. The dude's personality is just dry at best.

The main reason why they do not make the move is due to the payout if they do not win the 1 mil, I forget the exacts but pretty sure the show money is a joke in PFL...so if you dont win...you lose financially.

Actually no, they get 250k for being a runner up. 100k for reaching the semi, etc. As well as their contracted pay on top.

Actually no, they get 250k for being a runner up. 100k for reaching the semi, etc. As well as their contracted pay on top.
Yeah but if you done make top 3....

An organization like PFL cannot afford to pay well and dont forget that is for a year/season....why would a star in the UFC making 100k to show a fight move to an organization where they may get a 100k for getting to a semi...

“I want the easiest fights on the biggest stage for the most money possible”

-uncle chael

Because he can make 1m+ a year in PFL if he wins the tournament. After losing the grand prix/title his contract probably went to 100-150k per fight.

Back