1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Why did Rory leave Bellator?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by The Accuser, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Coolkid666 Black Belt

He went to PFL and PFL shut down hahahaha way to gooo

Memeojima likes this.
  2. NicholasJBasile Hoping to fight some day...

This 100% -- his skills depreciated overnight. The guy that fought in the beginning of his Bellator contract wasn't the same guy that fought Lima in the rematch. Hell, I was at his fight in San Jose when he fought Fitch and feel that Fitch comfortably won that fight as well. I was surprised that he even fought through the tournament as he really seemed morally conflicted with fighting.

cabear and Zebra Cheeks like this.
  3. johnyboy Silver Belt

That's what I'm thinking.

4. TrevorLahey Purple Belt

When he first went to Bellator and was talking about becoming a 3 division champion and fighting at heavyweight and then he got completely man handled by Mousasi. That was so incredibly embarrassing to watch, I can't help but think that contributed to his whole mental break down. Fuckin hell that was sad.

5. Kono dio da! Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Rory's been fighting longer than some sherdoggers have been alive. He started at 16. Factor that in, the physical damage and his turn to Christianity and how that conflicted with his killer instinct and you have a steep decline. I hate it but Pfl is the right choice. Secure the bag and bow out is his strategy I think.

SeattleFightFan likes this.
  6. GueseGuy Brown Belt

He was in the Bellator WW tourney for the $1m but lost in the finals so he almost had the $1m

7. daltonames Black Belt

His contract was up with Bellator, he's obviously going for the million. Bellator paid him really well AFAIK, but I also remember he was upset with them for not keeping him active enough and having him fight only once or twice a year.

8. superpunch Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

And the guy in Bellator wasn't the same guy we saw coming up the ranks either. He looked tired even then. The other guy was hungry and a lion. You can't fight like that forever though, that style burns you out quickly. Unless you're Robbie Lawler.

NicholasJBasile likes this.
  9. skylolow Silver Belt

It isn't some big mystery.

Rory has a high paying contract and does next to nothing to help himself and the promotion to promote himself. It's one of the main reasons the UFC didn't go crazy to resign him also. You also got a guy who sounds like he has one foot out of the sport but at the same time this is how he makes a living right now. So I'm not sure how focused of Rory anyone is getting.

It really is as simple as that.

P.S.: At one time he also voiced some displeasure in getting fights with Bellator. One of the few times he talked to the media, he whined about some displeasure with his employer.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. Phrozenspite Black Belt

Rory is basically done as far as high level fighting goes. I mean he can probably hang around at the neil magny level for quite a while. And bellator probably didn't offer him what he was hoping

11. DoubleA012 White Belt

Personally, I think he left because of multiple factors.

The Bellator Welterweight division has some legit talents and I don't know if he saw himself beating Lima ever. Obviously the jump to 185 was too much, so whats that leave him? a fight against MVP, where maybe he wins, or maybe he ends up KOed on a highlight reel.

I also heard he had a transition in his personal life, potentially something with religion and him having trouble hurting people or something, not sure if there is anything to that or not.

Finally, I've been waiting for a really good fighter to do this. PFL is giving out 1 million dollar to the winner of each season at different weight classes and if your someone like Rory that should be an easy payday based off the past PFL talent. He will also be the face of their organization, get a ton of media and offers from it and PFL is on ESPN so he'll be highlighted that way.

12. CinemaKingdom Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

A lot of fighters are as dumb as the fans. They think the ufc is the be all end all. Screw that nonsense, go where the money is. They have a short window and should make the most of it.

Greg House likes this.
  13. StanClarker Purple Belt

<WhoJeff>Are u kidding? Guy got his head pounded in there.

14. skylolow Silver Belt

I will say it now, that production team better be top notch because Rory isn't going to give them shit that makes anyone get excited to watch six parts of a show. The dude's personality is just dry at best.

Jackonfire likes this.
  15. TCE The Three Piece with the Corona

Actually no, they get 250k for being a runner up. 100k for reaching the semi, etc. As well as their contracted pay on top.

16. ChangeIsComing Black Belt

Yeah but if you done make top 3....

An organization like PFL cannot afford to pay well and dont forget that is for a year/season....why would a star in the UFC making 100k to show a fight move to an organization where they may get a 100k for getting to a semi...

17. strebitel86 Brown Belt

Not enough cash.

18. DoctorTaco Breadhead

“I want the easiest fights on the biggest stage for the most money possible”

-uncle chael

19. wrestlefan Green Belt

That Mousasi fight was horrendous match making.

20. GangGangGang Green Belt

Because he can make 1m+ a year in PFL if he wins the tournament. After losing the grand prix/title his contract probably went to 100-150k per fight.