Why did Rory leave Bellator?

The Accuser

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I wasn't aware he signed with PFL. And pretty surprised, cause I can't imagine PFL would pay him more than Bellator.

Is there a story to it? Pay issues? Did Bellator not want him anymore?

Maybe I'm underselling PFL but that seems like a steep decline for somebody who was once considered a phenom and the next WW champion.

I wasn't aware he signed with PFL. And pretty surprised, cause I can't imagine PFL would pay him more than Bellator.

Is there a story to it? Pay issues? Did Bellator not want him anymore?

Maybe I'm underselling PFL but that seems like a steep decline for somebody who was once considered a phenom and the next WW champion.
Rory was going through a lot. He had some kind of personality conflict where he turned to religion in the last few fights and felt morally conflicted because he didn’t feel he should be hurting people etc... He talked about it on Helwanis podcast and it was quite odd. He’s definitely not the same guy he used to be.

images

He’s always been about the money. Same as his buddy GSP. So a 1 million prize is tempting for a guy like that

Had no clue that he left Bellator.

Would have loved to see him back in the UFC. 5 of the 6 losses in his career are to top-notch competition. There is no shame in losing to Robbie during his ascension and championship years, or to Wonderboy when he was in his prime. Lima (whom he had already beat once prior) is currently one of the best welterweights on the planet. And of course there is Mousasi, who would make minced meat out of 95% of all welterweights alive, no shame in that loss either.

Had Rory returned, he would be right up there as a top-5 170 pounder. I'd favour him over Covington, Masvidal, Edwards and Woodley.

Styles make fights.

Probably giving him decent money. I know they pay Kayla Harrison well. PFL have plenty of money, they just don't make any.

He got a lucky draw versus the ghost of Jon Fitch, Fitch should've won that fight. Went on to get beat down by Lima in a rematch.

I think it's a combination of things - he saw D.Lima pass right by him ..... and by a margin. He cant move up while mousasi still there ( and, unfortunately, planning on staying with bmma ). Hes left with some random match ups at welter where hed still be taking home a decent days pay but he ,obviously, has a shot at one of these PFL tourney paydays.
It is what it is.

Because he was getting fed to the lions on a regular basis taking more years off his career. Watch the Moose fight and the 2 wars with Lima? Would you wanna go through that? The UFC WW is padded with wrestlefuckers and point strikers, Masvidal aside.

Rory was going through a lot. He had some kind of personality conflict where he turned to religion in the last few fights and felt morally conflicted because he didn’t feel he should be hurting people etc... He talked about it on Helwanis podcast and it was quite odd. He’s definitely not the same guy he used to be.
This.
I remember one of his fights (could have been the last, I don't recall) at the post fight interview (inside thew cage) he stated that he didn't have in him to hurt/finish his opponent.
I thought he was done... I am surprised he came back.
Then again, he has been training and doing MMA since he was so young, I don't know if he has any alternative...

He said he did really well on Bitcoin.

The guys probably a multi millionaire.

Rory is slowing down now ! Too much damaged and wars ( Lawler 1 and 2, Thompson )

Lost the belt and contract was done so he signed with PFL instead, $1M payday could be a good retirement money, this is old news tho, but with the pandemic its not like PFL is eager to put events.

Had no clue that he left Bellator.

Would have loved to see him back in the UFC. 5 of the 6 losses in his career are to top-notch competition. There is no shame in losing to Robbie during his ascension and championship years, or to Wonderboy when he was in his prime. Lima (whom he had already beat once prior) is currently one of the best welterweights on the planet. And of course there is Mousasi, who would make minced meat out of 95% of all welterweights alive, no shame in that loss either.

Had Rory returned, he would be right up there as a top-5 170 pounder. I'd favour him over Covington, Masvidal, Edwards and Woodley.

Styles make fights.

He's always been the bridesmaid in the UFC and it didn't help that he had to endure two wars against a pre USADA Lawler who was clearly on the juice (imo) which left him with no nose.

PFL tournaments are so dumb, shit quality of opponents and the winners get 1 million?? I really don't get why more good fighters don't join. Look at their HW champion, Philipe Lins, Arlovski schooled him. That dude won 1 million. I don't get it. A guy like Niko Price could win those 1 mill, Volkan, Guillespie, Brunson, etc... But they all stay in UFC

Emiliano Sordi won 1 million last year, that dude lost in the contender series in 15 seconds against Ryan Spang. Spang "won" that 12/12 contract that day lol

Back