why did people stop palm striking the ear?

Open palm strike and chops work great when on the ground and the opponent on bottom is tying up the upper body

Kevin Holland uses them. And And those aren’t insignificant when he’s doing those to the ear.

Yes, there was a thread about it today. It has happened often, was trying to remember. I believe Conor did it to Mendes off his back. And Sonnen to Silva as Silva tied his hands behind Sonnen's back. IIRC, also Hughes did it, maybe against Royce. And maybe GSP did it to Hughes.

They were doing palm strikes bc they weren't allowed to use closed fists. Now the interlocking fish smash is another story....

No, even in UFC and PRIDE people were doing palm strikes to the ear, especially on the ground.

I remember Chael doing it a lot against Silva in their first bout. Not sure how effective they are though, I wouldn’t count them as significant strikes they seem more like a nuisance than deadly blows.

No, even in UFC and PRIDE people were doing palm strikes to the ear, especially on the ground.
That's bc there were no gloves and they didn't want to break their hands/knuckles.

Agreed. I think it evolved out because punches to the head are more successful.

Sure a Stockton Slap makes the crowd go "woo". And it's a solid head game move. But it doesn't put your opponent down.

I've often wondered how strong Bas' wrists must have been. He dropped cats with slaps to the kidney (EDIT: I mean liver) ffs.
If you know how to palm strike correctly such as Bas, you can actually hit someone in the head harder than a punch would, and it's less likely that you'll break your hand.

But also, those hits to the kidney and liver with his hands were from punches, as you could closed-fist strike the body

(in close-quarters/grappling) you can actually generate more force (and have less/no padding on your palms) .
I got way more padding on my palms than I ever do on my knuckles. There is a reason why people say to check their knuckles baw. They damn sure ain't saying check their palms.

bro wtf are you talking about

People have done it throughout MMA history, not just the early days
That's bc they didn't know how to throw punches and slapped like girls.

I got way more padding on my palms than I ever do on my knuckles. There is a reason why people say to check their knuckles baw. They damn sure ain't saying check their palms.
With 4+ ounce gloves on? I don't follow. . . I mean, which part of what I said are you disagreeing with? Because I agree that standing there's no real reason to palm-strike, but on the ground it can generate more force in certain positions.... like I said above.

Why palm strike someone in the ear standing or on the ground, when you can just punch or elbow??
Have you ever trained/sparred mma on the ground? There are so many positions where you can't get a good punching or elbow angle/power, but can with palm-strikes. And it's like rock-scissors-paper: there's of course positions where you can elbow effectively but not punch or palm strike etc.

Back