Why did Michael Moorer move up to HW?

Weight cutting to LH probably destroyed his chin. I don't know why that is but it seems like that is how it works. Roy Jones went to shit coming from HW back down.

I grew up on Springsteen form a young age. Either my dad or my older sister were buying his older albums, so I listened to him a ton before Born in the USA came out. That was actually the first album I bought of him with my own money, though, and I still remember bringing the cassette home, putting it into my little ghetto blaster, and being disappointed with what I was hearing. It just didn't sound right to me, although the album obviously worked for him considering how much of a success it was. For me, though, it wasn't what I wanted to hear from him. Bobby Jean is about the only song I liked off the album and really the only one I can still enjoy. No Surrender is a good song when Bruce strips it down and plays a solo acoustic version of it like he did on the live album. Don't care for the album version. I can't really listen to much else from the album either even to this day. Born To Run, Darkness, and The River were all vastly superior albums in my opinion. But that's just me and my listening preferences.
I remember being amazed by the lyrics of all the pre darkness stuff, after Born To Run he pared down his music and lyrics, no more 7 minute epics, no more quasi-psychotic poetry, I think it was intentional. By born In the USA he realized this was the last chance he'd have for the kind of superstardom he'd wanted, he took the opportunity. The songs were all standard 3 minute, simple chorded stuff, It's really good, i always go back to "i'm on fire" "I'm goin down" and I cover Born In the USA (it was so saturated at the time that people hated it, they love it now). He even made a huge concession to mtv and his own producer who kept asking him for a Prince song with Dancing In The Dark, even doing his "white man's boogaloo" (his words) in the video which he says his kids laugh and tell him he looks ridiculous. It was still subversive though, Born In The USA was no anthem, it was a bitter indictment on the treatment of the Vietnam vet, most of the other songs were dark themed too. "Pop" in it's purest form doesn't deal in morose themes, that's where the real artists show their craft, they do it subversively and still triumph.

Sincere question: was Moorer a righty who fought southpaw?

I know that—watching him at heavy—his right hand always seemed to be the hand doing the work... Was that a function of moving up & having to rely on that jab more against bigger dudes, or what?

[Makes mental note to rewatch Moorer's light-heavy career.]
I think I heard he shot pool right handed. Lots of so called southpaws have wierd issues like that, Dundee insisted that Hagler was really a righty and advised Leonard to do things to avoid his power side because he watched him sign autographs right handed. Usually, a southpaw will convert to orthodox rather than the other way around, it makes business easier because no one wants to fight a southpaw. Joe Frazier, Gerry Cooney, Oscar Delahoya were all encouraged to fight orthodox even though they were lefties. So, a righting fighting lefty just because he feels like it seems stupid but it happens.

Weight cutting to LH probably destroyed his chin. I don't know why that is but it seems like that is how it works. Roy Jones went to shit coming from HW back down.
i don't know if that's true or not but chris byrd looked sick fighting at lightheavy.

Back