1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Why did Lawler leave UFC initially and why did it take so long for him to return?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Papa Doc, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Papa Doc Blue Belt

Anyone have any insight on this? Lawler is a future UFC hall of famer and has one of the best WW streaks of all time. Looking back at his record, I wish he spent more time in the UFC fighting better talent.

2. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Not sure but I think the Superbrawl owner knew Monte Cox and specifically brought him to HI for Superbrawl/Icon Sports which was later bought by EliteXC. He also was in IFL briefly.

3. filthynumber1 Silver Belt

Great question. Don't know

4. rocketrasslin18 White Belt

He may have been released. I think he was on 3 fight losing streak before moving on.

5. Kvolcom Banned Banned

Matt hughes being champ in the same division maybe? idk

He did lose 3 of 4 w a boring decision win before leaving. He was really young at the time, maybe wanted to get some more experience outside the UFC

That Trigg KO was nasty tho...when he was lying in the corner. I remember that shit like it was yesterday

6. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Who owns the Superbrawl library now? I want to watch the two Niko fights and never saw the Trigg fight.

7. theincognito Brown Belt

I could be wrong but I think UFC might have dropped the middleweight division around that time and then brought it back shortly later when Rich Franklin, who was a light heavyweight, decided to join it. They saw him as a star.

As for why Lawler didn't return sooner, probably just contracts with other promotions.

8. NeZhA23 Purple Belt

He was on a bad losing streak . Last fight was against Evan Tanner at ufc 50 .. then he hard time coming back to ufc . Great fight with ninja and couple of ko in pride and strike force

9. JustforBROCK Green Belt

Guys could make money elsewhere. UFC wasnt the profitable thing it is now back then - and fighters make shit now imagine how bad it was then. Diaz also left shortly there after and basically did the same thing.

10. Karl_Hungus Purple Belt

I thought it was over pay. Robbie's run during that period was pretty cool. The Trigg fight was cool. I think that was for a MW belt or something. My memory is fuzzy. I do think I remember reading that he was making more, though.

11. DesiredUserName Green Belt

Good question but I don't think that his competition outside of the UFC was necessarily all that bad.

12. Ogata Gold Belt

He was on a losing streak but the real reason was that Robbie was having some stomach issues or something. Its been a longtime since I read it but he was having some health issues which led to chronic fatigue and he had to wait to get better.

13. The Mookster Purple Belt

I actually know this answer… dana mentioned it once during an interview when robbie initially returned. He basically said they didnt part on bad terms and that other orgs were willing to pay Robbie way more than the Ufc was at the time. Im guessing 80-200k was too pricey for the ufc back then

14. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

I thought it was asthma.

15. Ogata Gold Belt

Perhaps you are right. I forgot what it was but I remember he had some lingering health issue that caused a diminishment of performance and recovery.