Why did Dana cave in to Conor’s wage demands all those years ago?

If you look at what Conor's done for the UFC brand and growth, he's probably done multiples of what they paid him.

People talk about how conor made 100 mil but Dana's playing in the billions. That wasn't charity it was smart business.

Conor did what you were supposed to: be a company man, fight frequently, have exciting fights, build your name, sell... Then negotiate for pay.

Yeah honestly I think more fighters should put on electrifying performances back to back, say something witty and funny and be active on social media,
THEN talk about money. Unfortunately most athletes don't have all that.

Lot of people started trying to brute force negotiate pay or a title shot after 2016 or so but didn't shake the game up as much. Conor McGregor was like the perfect businessman and fighter at the perfect time.

A senior member of the MMA media told me in the aftermath of 194 that McGregor didn’t sign the bout agreement with Aldo until the day of the show because of ongoing negotiations over money. Dana reportedly stopped speaking to him for a while. When he tried to exert leverage over UFC 200, they pulled him from the show.

the chips still lay with dana. conor has made a shit ton of dough, but made the ufc more

Because Uncle Dana knew how many people would enjoy seeing the beatings that would eventually come Conor's way

I remember reading about how Conor would get the ppv sales numbers for his fights, and use that as negotiating leverage. He was smart to do that. He pushed the limits as far as he could, and it worked because he created massive hype and was selling ppvs. Dana had to pay him to continue doing business with him. I was surprised as well, but Conor is a ppv star, and he knew his worth. I think Conor is a lunatic, but he was really at the right place and time, and took advantage of his situation.

Back