Why did Corey Anderson leave the UFC?

He didn't like how hard Jan punched him in the face. Jan could have used only half the amount of power and still got the KO, but instead used full 100% Polish power to knock the soul out of poor Corey. Good move IMO. I hope Bellator continues to grow.

More money. Easier road to the title.

Imo its a very bad showing of the UFC to let guys like that go just because they arent willing to pay more. After all this is still a c-leagues sport.

More money. Easier road to the title.

Imo its a very bad showing of the UFC to let guys like that go just because they arent willing to pay more. After all this is still a c-leagues sport.

I don't think it was just money, they also found him difficult to work with and thought he was boring/not a draw.

Money and happiness probably

I don't think it was just money, they also found him difficult to work with and thought he was boring/not a draw.
Yeah but thats still money in a sense?
The UFC does a pretty simple assesment of how much they are willing to pay a fighter in contrast to the worth he offers to the company (ususally how much of a draw he is, but also if he is willing to step in on short notice etc.). Thats where i think there values are set wrong and where fighters like Corey or Moose are rightfully upset about the treatment by the UFC in contrast to their level of skill.

Yeah but thats still money in a sense?
The UFC does a pretty simple assesment of how much they are willing to pay a fighter in contrast to the worth he offers to the company (ususally how much of a draw he is, but also if he is willing to step in on short notice etc.). Thats where i think there values are set wrong and where fighters like Corey or Moose are rightfully upset about the treatment by the UFC in contrast to their level of skill.

IIRC with Corey a lot of it was that he started being a diva after he beat Walker and demanding a title shot off the back of winning that fight.

IIRC with Corey a lot of it was that he started being a diva after he beat Walker and demanding a title shot off the back of winning that fight.
Yeah not disputing that. Imo the UFC shouldnt even care how a fighters acts in interviews, if he still follows his contract. Again thats just Dana taking everything personal and trying to strong arm fighters out of the company for speaking up. Corey isnt the first example of this and wont be the last. And because Corey isnt the most liked guy in the world, they even find a lot of fans who agree.

Yeah not disputing that. Imo the UFC shouldnt even care how a fighters acts in interviews, if he still follows his contract. Again thats just Dana taking everything personal and trying to strong arm fighters out of the company for speaking up. Corey isnt the first example of this and wont be the last. And because Corey isnt the most liked guy in the world, they even find a lot of fans who agree.

It is what it is, I guess it depends how awkward Corey was being behind the scenes. He never used to pull out of fights and never seemed to duck anyone though. I wouldn't have let him go personally, but it is what it is.

The only cuts I think they've got wrong on an ability level recently are him, Formiga, Lineker and Elias. But there were probably mitigating factors.

Shouldn't have let Cyborg go either, but that seemed to be an untenable situation.

He collapsed and fell over in the woods and ended up looking like a Klingon.

63fd889cf07f4dfeb31ef69b4e0ded4a_md.jpg

he went woke

now he is going to be broke (in Bellator)

but at least he can stick it to Trump supporting Dana White

He kept losing at critical points to the elite of the division.

Got starched by Manuwa and OSP then just when he's about to gain a TS Jan ragdolled him in 1 round. The UFC hated him cause he was hard to deal with, wasn't a draw and wasn't exciting to watch.

He couldn't be bothered fighting up to a title shot again so jumped to Bellator where he has a better shot at capturing it and with faster route to the championship.

In short, he took the easy route and the UFC didn't see him as a huge loss.

It is what it is, I guess it depends how awkward Corey was being behind the scenes. He never used to pull out of fights and never seemed to duck anyone though. I wouldn't have let him go personally, but it is what it is.

The only cuts I think they've got wrong on an ability level recently are him, Formiga, Lineker and Elias. But there were probably mitigating factors.

Shouldn't have let Cyborg go either, but that seemed to be an untenable situation.
Yeah i mean i cant change the way it is. I still dont like the way they handle these situations and i think its a result of their often poor payment of top 15 contenders in huuuuuge contrast to slightly bigger names. That imo a big hindrance for the evolvement of the sport, because the UFC would have the financial capabilites to pay them more. But that goes a little too far into the topic.

He was on a tear before he lost to now LHW Champ Jan Blachowicz. Appearantly he had multiple fights remaining on his contract but wanted to move to Bellator.

He was ranked top 10 (maybe even 5?) but decided to take what seems to be a step back moving to the smaller organisation.

What happened here?
I may be in the minority, but I'm in the camp that believed he was incredibly underappreciated. I feel he wasn't getting respect from not only fans but also the company; I get it -- a lot of folks weren't entertained by his fights (I am not one of them). However, he has a very impressive body of work -- wins over Jan Blachowicz, Glover Texeira, Johnny Walker, etc. He has chin issues for sure, but he is a humble workhorse and has always been very diligent in his training. I hope that he does well in Bellator -- match ups against Bader and Phil Davis are very intriguing to me, as well as many others.

rough day buddy?

I post like 1 thread every 2-3 weeks, good but a little surprising to see I've actually got fanboys on here
Don't trip homie -- it is a fair thread in my opinion. He was a dark horse in the division for a good minute -- Anderson has never gotten a fair shake in my opinion, as proven by this person's response.

Couldn't get by only beasting 25/8, went to Bellator so he could beast 26/9.

He probably knew he had a better chance of winning the Bellator belt than he would the UFC to be honest. That and the sponsorship money. It's a good move for Corey personally, I think he'd be able to beat Bader.

EDIT. Didn't know Bader isn't champ anymore.

I think Nemkov is going to KO him like Jan did. This was a definitely a bad move. Corey probably thought he was gonna fight Bader or Phil Davis he didn't even know who the champion was after his win

I think part of it is he didn't know that Jon Jones would vacate the belt

He was on a tear before he lost to now LHW Champ Jan Blachowicz. Appearantly he had multiple fights remaining on his contract but wanted to move to Bellator.

He was ranked top 10 (maybe even 5?) but decided to take what seems to be a step back moving to the smaller organisation.

What happened here?
Here you go ts.

When Corey Anderson beat Glover, and his few fights leading up to it, Dana called him boring and said things like “we don’t need another guy like that”. Imo, not really his place. But Dana said more or less that he would never get a title shot fighting like that. So Corey comes out against Johnny walker, and fucking bodies the dude. Big finish, big card. Everyone was counting Corey out of this fight and the hype behind Johnny was massive, and Corey ruined Dana’s parade. He celebrated way too much in the octagon, and Dana white called him unprofessional etc...

So he adjusted his game to cooperate, and Dana still put the kid on blast. Then of course, he got absolutely smashed by Jan, likely fighting the way that he knew was more risky to appeal to the ufc, and guess who wasn’t going to throw him any bones? The ufc lol.

It’s been an ongoing thing for years. It just wasn’t a good relationship.

Back