Why did Burgos force a close-ranged brawl when...

Rorschachxx

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
- he has 5'5" reach advantage
- has a great jab and straight right
- has great front kicks to body and head
- his opponent is knows for powerful boxing inside

This was obv. a close fight and Burgos won rounds but ultimately does he want a 50k bonus or a top 10 win? Dude got punched in the head because he kept going forward and throwing leg kicks standing right in front of Emmet. This was a silly gameplan. He should've moved in and out with solid combinations and rips to the body and outside of that, keep the fight at a distance. It certainly helped that Emmet kept moving away from him. I really feel he handed Emmet the win with weird decisions and maybe his willingness to make it an entertaining fight. Burgos has one hell of a chin to absorb this many powerful punches but clearly pushed his luck towards the third round. I'm a fan of this guy and while it was one hell of a fight and one of the best of 2020, its frustrating seeing him derail what could be a run towards the title any further.

IQ is low with Burgos

I doubt he ever sniffs the door for the FW belt. He's been getting schooled too hard lately.
I really liked the adjustments he made in the Makwan fight though. Lost the first round clearly and then found the hole with the bodyshots and kept ripping. I think his IQ is there but he throws it out in favor of a fun brawl. Its certainly entertaining but like you said, it will cost him in the long run. Dude is wasting his time and prime fighting like that when he should be slowly moving towards the top. Same shit in the Kattar fight.

Todays loss was almost inexcusable especially in light of the way he fought. The fact he didn't take more advantage of the 5" reach advantage should be concerning to all in his corner

That was a horse-shit performance in all things considered. He should've beaten Josh.

I think he got cracked early and relied on his chin way too much..dude took long term damage.NG

That's how he always fights. If you expected something different from him, then you haven't been paying attention. Hopefully burgos learns from this. He could of won tonight's fight with defensive fundamentals.

That's how Burgos fights every fight, if you expected anything else you don't know what Burgos is about

If Burgos doesn't have a Gaethje type of epiphany about how getting punched in the head is not a viable technique, his career won't last long.

Yup. I don't get it either. The guy is gigantic (both in size and in length) for his weightclass and can definitely strike from range as well.

His ego will be his downfall if he doesn't change his approach.

Tried to wear him out. Normally people gas in abut 6 minutes with the pace that Emmett fought. When you factor the injury and the fact that Emmett went full 15 at that exact same pace is incredible.

At the same time it's incredible how Burgos just ate many of those shots. Weird fight but a great one.

That's how he always fights. If you expected something different from him, then you haven't been paying attention. Hopefully burgos learns from this. He could of won tonight's fight with defensive fundamentals.

Yeah, the lack of footwork, lack of head movement and holding his hands down around his chest alongside him pressuring by following his opponents and standing right infront of them trying to exchange isn't very promising at almost 30... Its one thing if youre 9-0 and 23 years old just blowing through guys and even then I'd urge coaches to identify that and train it largely out of them.

Burgos has good hands, I noticed that vs Rosa forever ago, no doubt. The guy has a reach longer than most Middleweights yet willingly stands in the pocket and trades punches with his hands down. This will work vs the lower level prospects and washed up guys but he's going to keep having bad nights vs the better fighters in the division and the punishment he keeps taking can't be good long term despite a solid chin.

It is not up to him alone. He could step back and his opponent steps forward. The opponent is also looking to dictate distance. It's a dance.

Burgos likes to fight a forward pressure style of fighting, which given the smaller cage last night, gives your opponent less room to work with in terms of escape routes. Big guy for LW with long reach and great jab. Emmett generally moved laterally to the pressure and would also come forward to close the distance and mount attacks. Unlike TS and others, I don't think Burgos is stupid for being a forward pressure fighter, if the fight is close you might win extra points in close round situations for being the fighter who advances rather than retreats - imposing will & octagon control. Emmett is a high quality striker which meant that Burgos would be giving and taking, but changing his style to a matador counter-puncher after many years as a forward pressure fighter might not have been successful. He developed into a forward pressure fighter because he is good at that style, quick, powerful and long. Uses kicks and hands very well together. Only my first time watching Burgos, but I saw highlights in the lead up to the fight where it looks like he simply overwhelmed many of his opponents. But there are levels to fighting and Emmett is high quality and very experienced. There is no shame losing to Emmett and Kattar. Many people feel that Kattar has the best boxing in the UFC, which is also my opinion (Kattar and Yan).

Both guys took a lot of punishment as both were aggressive, winging hard and the smaller cage made it harder to exit left or right. I agree with TS that it was a close fight until R3. I had Emmett R1, Burgos R2 and Emmett R3 by 10 - 8. Final 29 - 27 Emmett. FOY candidate. That Emmett fought 3 hard action packed rounds on an injured knee is absolutely tremendous. I hope he doesn't need surgery.

- he has 5'5" reach advantage
- has a great jab and straight right
- has great front kicks to body and head
- his opponent is knows for powerful boxing inside

This was obv. a close fight and Burgos won rounds but ultimately does he want a 50k bonus or a top 10 win? Dude got punched in the head because he kept going forward and throwing leg kicks standing right in front of Emmet. This was a silly gameplan. He should've moved in and out with solid combinations and rips to the body and outside of that, keep the fight at a distance. It certainly helped that Emmet kept moving away from him. I really feel he handed Emmet the win with weird decisions and maybe his willingness to make it an entertaining fight. Burgos has one hell of a chin to absorb this many powerful punches but clearly pushed his luck towards the third round. I'm a fan of this guy and while it was one hell of a fight and one of the best of 2020, its frustrating seeing him derail what could be a run towards the title any further.
It's a fair question. My take on the fight was that it wasn't Burgos' poor game plan but Emmett's amazing Mike Tyson-esque ability to slip those short-range powerful punches in over and over again that made the difference. Emmett's combo of speed and technique was outstanding, almost totally negating Burgos' reach advantage.

Back