Why did Barao/Faber headline over Aldo/Lamas at 169?

flakxd

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
How many times has a lower weight division title fight headlined over a larger championship fight?

Originally it was supposed to be a title unification bout. Barao/Cruz.

Guessing because it involved "2 titles" it outranked the higher weight's title fight.

Cruz dropped out, short notice swap for Faber, no reordering of the matches because "fuck it".

Aldo should be main event over anyone not named Jones. He's the 2nd top PFP imho. Dude is no joke.

I thought it always went by weight....even if women are involved. When has this happened before?

I thought it always went by weight....even if women are involved. When has this happened before?

UFC 44 was the only other one I could find. Main event was Randy Couture vs Tito Ortiz to unify the LHW title with Tim Sylvia defending his HW belt against Gan McGee

It just happened to be Faber stepping in for an injured Cruz, and they didn't want to swap around the fight order to put Aldo/Lamas up top.

/end of thread

we found our answer...

PLAYYY BALLLL

ufc65_wallpaper.jpg

Was a unification bout and because that's a Champion v Champion fight it took the top billing.

But Cruz backed out and Faber stood in and if I recall Aldo said he was cool with Barao getting the top spot.

They promised Barao he'd be main eventing so they left it there.

'Cause Faber da man, that's why.

LMFAO at #2 dude was champ when Jones 1st started.

I agree with you friend. I think a good argument could be made for either or being #1 PFP. I am pretty much at a loss when I see people like Faber as the main event over Aldo. Especially after Aldo beat up Faber so bad, Faber could barely walk for days after the fight. His legs were so swollen and bruised I thought he was going to need to get them amputated.

The bottom like is that Aldo should almost always be the main event.

Back