Why did a decorated striker like Shevchenko decide use the blanket strategy???

She had an MCL injury

GSP didn't look the same after his knees gave either, was a different fighter vs Condit and Diaz

Hope it was just a one off for Shev but we may not see prime Shev ever again

I think she was fine dealing with her on the feet, but when she got taken down and was on her back in round 2, she couldn't get out. So she decided to initiate the take down rather than risk being taken down.

It's simple actually. She could control Maia from the top but as we saw in round 2, couldn't do anything about it when Maia tool control. Rather than stand and risk being taken down, she forced the issue and fought where she was dominant.

I think she said it in post fight interview. She just went with the flow of the fight. She adapted on the spot, I don't think it was her game plan per se. She saw opportunity to take her down so she did.

She was probably zapped from the grappling and Maia's pressure. Also, it was smart strategy to pick up enough rounds to secure a UD so she could safely go for a KO on the feet in later rounds

I don't get it.

You're a highly decorated striker with numerous championships in striking sports...

So, why did you decided to grapple with the grappler?

source.gif

it almost liek she has more submission wins than ko in her career.

Shes crap. Because of mma she got exposure. She probably looks at the plebs on sherdog who worship her and think shes a real "fighter". Shes never been anything special. Nunes gets shitted on but she has eclipsed her in every way.

I think im the third round she went for a spinning backfist and almost got taken down

This is how Val fights most people she can't just ran through. Did this to Joanna aswell.

Shevchenko easily beat Joanna on the feet.

29c82fc49316487b2d916c7cf801b0e4.gif

She also took Chookagian down after dominating her in the standup. That's just how she fights - mixed striking with takedowns to make her opponents have a difficult time countering her moves.

Last edited:
Shevchenko easily beat Joanna on the feet.

29c82fc49316487b2d916c7cf801b0e4.gif

She also took Chookagian down after dominating her in the standup. That's just how she fights - mixed striking with takedowns to make her opponent have a difficult time countering her moves.
Yeah one gif removes the large portions of times Shevchenko slammed Joanna to the ground in their fight.

Back