Why DC does well at HW but not vs JBJ

BowserJr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Yes he lost last night but he did dam well until the liver shots

My theory is that HW don't typically train to use their reach advantage over smaller fighters since they're all relatively similar in height and reach.

JBJ on the other hand is a master of using reach advantage. He has perfected it since that's all he fights at LHW.

At LHW DC has a strength advantage over everyone, doesn't give up too much in height/reach (except JBJ) and he is just as fast as pretty much all LHWs.

At HW DC doesn't give up much on strength, retains his LHW speed and his punches seem more powerful. He gives up reach but HWs don't leverage that.

IMO this also is an indicator on how JBJ does at HW. He won't have much of a reach or strength advantage at HW which is what makes him the master of LHW.
He is already pretty slow so I don't think he will have much of a speed advantage at HW either. He'd do well but look very mortal IMO. He'd get a few losses

Yes he lost last night but he did dam well until the liver shots

My theory is that HW don't typically train to use their reach advantage over smaller fighters since they're all relatively similar in height and reach.

JBJ on the other hand is a master of using reach advantage. He has perfected it since that's all he fights at LHW.

At LHW DC has a strength advantage over everyone, doesn't give up too much in height/reach (except JBJ) and he is just as fast as pretty much all LHWs.

At HW DC doesn't give up much on strength, retains his LHW speed and his punches seem more powerful. He gives up reach but HWs don't leverage that.

IMO this also is an indicator on how JBJ does at HW. He won't have much of a reach or strength advantage at HW which is what makes him the master of LHW.
He is already pretty slow so I don't think he will have much of a speed advantage at HW either. He'd do well but look very mortal IMO. He'd get a few losses
The talent at HW is not as good they have more power but the skill level is lower in HW.

Reach advantages are highly overrated. DC has always been good at getting to his distance where he can land and or take it to the ground

But one thing i noticed when DC fought Jones is he was starting to lunge in especially with his uppercut which is very dangerous. This is due to Jones being able to neutralize him.

But also, Jones has a very underrated chin. In the first fight DC landed several hard shots and Jon ate them.

Reach advantages are highly overrated. DC has always been good at getting to his distance where he can land and or take it to the ground

But one thing i noticed when DC fought Jones is he was starting to lunge in especially with his uppercut which is very dangerous. This is due to Jones being able to neutralize him.

But also, Jones has a very underrated chin. In the first fight DC landed several hard shots and Jon ate them.

JBJ does have a good chin. He'd get tagged at HW I wonder if he could take them

The talent at HW is not as good they have more power but the skill level is lower in HW.
This has always been true but I feel LHW is similar now.

Alotta guys that would've been LHW 10 yrs ago fight at MW now

JBJ does have a good chin. He'd get tagged at HW I wonder if he could take them

I think he could personally. I think the issue for him would be more if he has the power to hurt them.

I think he could personally. I think the issue for him would be more if he has the power to hurt them.

Man I dunno if he could. I wouldn't be surprised either way. And you bring up another great point.

I don't think he'd have much power at HW. His punches would be heavier but his frame is pretty small for someone so tall.

I could see him winning fights via decision and some by sub not many via ko/tko

Volkov would be very interesting

Man I dunno if he could. I wouldn't be surprised either way. And you bring up another great point.

I don't think he'd have much power at HW. His punches would be heavier but his frame is pretty small for someone so tall.

I could see him winning fights via decision and some by sub not many via ko/tko

Volkov would be very interesting

I think he would use his grappling more

He does well at both weight classes. I never subscribed to the idea that he's better at heavyweight.

His grappling without steroids hasn't exactly been that stellar.
tenor.gif

It’s pretty easy to see bones is that good.
All the fighters recognize that. But a lot of fans. Not so much. Very strange.

Back