Why Danaher doesn't compete

from what's being said in this thread, some people seem to be implying that john danaher is making excuses or is a liar.

considering that there were several posters who were absolutely enraged over the wording of a thread involving a blue belt beating a black belt, to not call this thread downright disrespectful would just be wrong.

from what's being said in this thread, some people seem to be implying that john danaher is making excuses or is a liar.

I don't think anyone is doing that. I don't think anyone has implied that Danaher has made any claims personally. Everyone is pretty much commenting on what other people have said about Danaher, which is pretty much how every thread about Danaher goes. The man is a like a mythical internet figure. Much is said, little is known.

considering that there were several posters who were absolutely enraged over the wording of a thread involving a blue belt beating a black belt, to not call this thread downright disrespectful would just be wrong.

A few words if I may...

1. No one was absolutely enraged over that thread. But posters like you with no reading comprehension took it that way. It was more of a "pfffft, this is lame."

2. I don't think the poster that straight up called John Danaher a liar is disrespectful, so much as just fucking stupid for making that assertion. Had you not pointed it out, I wouldn't have said anything, only because it is so mind blowingly retarded I would hope most people would roll their eyes and skip over it.

I don't think anyone is doing that. I don't think anyone has implied that Danaher has made any claims personally. Everyone is pretty much commenting on what other people have said about Danaher, which is pretty much how every thread about Danaher goes. The man is a like a mythical internet figure. Much is said, little is known.

Did you win the US Grappling tournament last weekend?

NZJ has kept shit real in the streets of NYC for a long time. Period. Only on shitdog could some anonymous haters imply John was shook of stepping up to a fight.

Competition isn't for everyone is that so hard to understand? He has random people on sherdog making threads about him seemingly, what does he need to prove/ gain from competition. With his PHD in philosophy he I doubt he puts much weight or thought into tournaments.

I can't say I am a guy that loves competition although I have competed before! I am sure I could never be as good as John Danaher. I don't have that type of dedication or talent!

The only reason people knock John Danaher for not competing is that he spends 12 hours a day in the gym! My opinion is if someone is in the gym 12 hours a day every day they have that competitive spirit. Someone who is not competitive trains 2-3 times a week.

IMHO people are competitive when they get to be as good as John Danaher. Why doesn't Danaher compete? No one knows except him but it may be to breaking down mentally in competition or he may have a fear of losing!

The only reason people knock John Danaher for not competing is that he spends 12 hours a day in the gym! My opinion is if someone is in the gym 12 hours a day every day they have that competitive spirit. Someone who is not competitive trains 2-3 times a week.

John Danaher is in the gym 12 hours a day because it is his job. He makes his living instructing others. Even John has said that he loves teaching more than anything, and his knee pretty much keeps him in constant pain. In the gym you can control the impact on that knee, not so much in a tournament. Im sure John would do just fine in tournaments.

I can't say I am a guy that loves competition although I have competed before! I am sure I could never be as good as John Danaher. I don't have that type of dedication or talent!

IMHO people are competitive when they get to be as good as John Danaher. Why doesn't Danaher compete? No one knows except him but it may be to breaking down mentally in competition or he may have a fear of losing!

some people need competition to enjoy and train jiu jitus. Others don't need it, jiu jitsu and training jiu jitsu is good enough.

Mr. Danaher himself TALKS ABOUT IT IN THE INTERVIEW ON THE FRONT PAGE OF SHERDOG!

I think a lot of the forum whores forget that there is a front page to sherdog.

Just to avoid any third party rumours, when he TALKS ABOUT IT IN THE INTERVIEW ON THE FRONT PAGE OF SHERDOG he says he has a "rather long history of knee dislocations" apparently he has a "misshaped patella" in his "left leg, which means [his] leg has dislocated many many times throughout [his] childhood".

He went through an operation in the days before arthroscopic surgery, which he described as being rather tragic and left him with arthrofibrosis.

I think a lot of the forum whores forget that there is a front page to sherdog.

Just to avoid any third party rumours, when he TALKS ABOUT IT IN THE INTERVIEW ON THE FRONT PAGE OF SHERDOG he says he has a "rather long history of knee dislocations" apparently he has a "misshaped patella" in his "left leg, which means [his] leg has dislocated many many times throughout [his] childhood".

He went through an operation in the days before arthroscopic surgery, which he described as being rather tragic and left him with arthrofibrosis.

That about sums it up :-].

The only problem is that as an instructor, it's upon Danaher to be able to relate concepts to his students. In order to do this as well as possible, it's also necessary to know your student and how they think/ work. At the very least, having some competition experience would give Danaher the knowledge of what competing is like. Put himself in his student's shoes.

Not to say that he isn't a fantastic coach, but personally I think that any teacher should have 1st hand experience in their field.

The only problem is that as an instructor, it's upon Danaher to be able to relate concepts to his students. In order to do this as well as possible, it's also necessary to know your student and how they think/ work. At the very least, having some competition experience would give Danaher the knowledge of what competing is like. Put himself in his student's shoes.

Not to say that he isn't a fantastic coach, but personally I think that any teacher should have 1st hand experience in their field.

I hear he does okay.

Sure, that's a nice rule of thumb, but what's your point? What do you mean by "the only problem"? Danaher happens to be one of the most successful and sought-after coaches and instructors in the world. I'm pretty sure there is no problem.

yeah, i don't know why all these top guys in mma and bjj train under this guy.

Or why he is the head instructor at the largest bjj school in the northeast.

Call up renzo and get send this NZ guy back home to do some work on the hobbit movie.

good catch forum guy, not to say you are a total loser

/sarcasm

Congratulations, how did you like the event?

Well I wouldn't congratulate me too much I only ended up going against one guy in both my weight and the absolute and it was the same guy.

The event was well run though. I like how they organize the tournament.

Back