Why Dana White blocked the GSP-Khabib fight

I dont get it, Dana is about money and this fight would make money.

I dont get it, Dana is about money and this fight would make money.

Outside of Conor fights, this might be the next biggest money maker. And who knows, maybe Conor’s earning power starts to decrease after Khabib.

Sure, why not?
Because he reportedly walked around at 200+ as the 170lb champ and his last fight was at 185. I dont see it as a healthy option to fight at 155. Its would likely be Dillashaw like at 125.
I'd just rather see it at 170+.

If GSP beats Khabib and retires he destroys Dana's cash cow. Why would Dana agree to that? If Khabib loses to Tony then Tony is the new man the UFC machine can get behind. It's a business, Dana is there to make money.
Khabib is Dana’s cash cow now? How many more times do you think he will even fight?

He promised he would defend vs Whittaker, that’s the only reason they gave him the shot. They even put it in the contract, he then gave it up after winning it which meant he screwed Dana(went back on his word)
Went back on his word to Dana? Dana the only guy less honorable then Trump, I just shit myself laughing.

Because he reportedly walked around at 200+ as the 170lb champ and his last fight was at 185. I dont see it as a healthy option to fight at 155. Its would likely be Dillashaw like at 125.
I'd just rather see it at 170+.

He has always said he walks around between 185-190 and even had issues staying at 185 during training for the Bisping fight. Is this “200 lbs” thing kinda like Nate’s 200 lbs?

Sure, why not?
Have you not seen what happened to TJ when he cut his weight down till he's bones? Exact same thing will happen to GSP. GSP is a heavy Welterweight and has no business fighting as a Lightweight.

Khabib is Dana’s cash cow now? How many more times do you think he will even fight?
Not many but my point was if Khabib loses I would think Dana would want to use that to build another fighter. GSP is dead money now.

Honestly for once I’m with Dana/UFC on this. GSP has fucked them over way too many times. Didn’t give a rematch to the toughest fight he ever had at WW. Refused to defend the MW title. Why should they allow him to cherry pick another division?

fk Khabib. Donkey wants to sit out 13 months and then come back and fight someone outside the LW division? Get the fk outta here with that!

Just book it at LW and Khabib will retire him like he did to McGilliCutty.

I think both sides have a part to play here and one of them is not playing ball. Dana would give him the 155 fight, but after that fiasco with the contract for the 185 belt and the fact that gsp didnt defend it in the end, I think the ufc would want gsp to sign a more serious contract with him agreeing to the defend the belt at least once if he wins. Especially considering the guys you would have in the mix.. Conor, Ferguson, Holloway, Poirier? Anyways, I see GSP not playing ball and the ufc screwing him over as well. If thats the way it is, then screw it oh well, he can retire as GOAT and we can watch khabib tony hopefully

Gsp shouldn’t be allowed to do as he pleases
Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice Shame on me...
yeah gsp screwed the UFC really hard when he sold those 850k ppvs against bisping...

Love gsp and dislike Dana but Dana is right in this one. It doesnt make sense to potentially kill a champ for a guy that is on the verge of retirement and fighs once every 3 years. I wish it happened as a fan, but it i see why Dana doesnt.

Why would you give a fight to a dude that's just gonna relinquish the belt and retire after?

People don't really care for GSP like they use to.

Comeback fight didn't even do a million buys.

Dana knows its not worth the headaches.

It did 875k which is pretty good after a 4-5 year layoff. He is a top 5 UFC PPV guy. A fight with Khabib, after the Conor fight would be well over a million buys.

Lol at people not caring about GSP, he is one of the most loved fighters ever.

Back