Why Conor's Title Defenses Don't Matter

The haters say this like he is purposefully avoiding fights, but consider if after beating Aldo, he stayed in the featherweight division and defended the belt. It's absurd to think that it would have been more impressive to beat an over-the-hill Frankie Edgar and who else - JEREMY STEPHENS - than moving up to lightweight, signing to fight RDA, losing and subsequently avenging his short-notice loss to the much bigger Nate Diaz, and then TKO'ing the lightweight champion in Eddie Alvarez for the second belt.

At each fork in the road he takes the more difficult path, and this is somehow construed by the haters as ducking, or being given easy fights, when in reality it's just the opposite!
giphy.gif

Well he was stripped for khabib to fight a twelve hour notice rank eleven for the belt and then khabibs first 'defence' is against the champ who was stripped....
When looked at properly, you could say him fighting the number one contender in Khabib is his first defence and he is in fact doing everything he has said he would do.

Become champ.
Win two weights belts.
Get rich quick.
Defend his belts.
Get out healthy.

As fans, we are just impatient and expect everything done in a year, his previous activity and success in such a short period of time hasn't helped in curbing our enthusiasm for quick turn around fights.

[ ] unicorns
[ ] Easter Bunny
[ ] Tooth Fairy
[ ] Conor McGregor title defenses

Mods why cant we have a Conor subforum to put all this shit in

Haters gonna hate bro. I wouldn’t even bother.

Conor ran from Frankie like Forrest Gump ran when his legs started working.

The notion that Conor would have trouble with Frankie Edgar is preposterous.

And about title defenses, he's thinking "I can't lose what I don't put on the line." That's true. But what he (and his offputing super fans like yourself) don't realize is that it's not embarrassing to lose a belt, as long as you step up to the plate to defend it. It's FAR more SHAMEFUL to be stripped of not 1 but 2 belts because you don't have the guts to compete like a man and risk losing.

It's better for his image to lose in a different weight class, true. But if going to a different weight class also happens to be a bigger challenge, then how is the move more cowardly than defending the belt? Remember the actual facts - we aren't talking about him vacating the featherweight title to fight CM Punk. Rather, vacating the featherweight title meant immediately signing to fight RDA, then Diaz at 170, then Alvarez - and all happened within 7 months. It was only after signing to fight Mayweather that there was a long lay off - the idea that McGregor has turned down challengers or sat on belts with inactivity is unfounded.

Besides, if he is as scared as you say, he wouldn't have fought Max Holloway with a torn ACL, Mendes on short notice, or Diaz after RDA pulled out.

TS got buried, fucking dying LOL.

The Champ-Champ does what he wants... and that is make money with or without the belt.

The haters say this like he is purposefully avoiding fights, but consider if after beating Aldo, he stayed in the featherweight division and defended the belt. It's absurd to think that it would have been more impressive to beat an over-the-hill Frankie Edgar and who else - JEREMY STEPHENS - than moving up to lightweight, signing to fight RDA, losing and subsequently avenging his short-notice loss to the much bigger Nate Diaz, and then TKO'ing the lightweight champion in Eddie Alvarez for the second belt.

At each fork in the road he takes the more difficult path, and this is somehow construed by the haters as ducking, or being given easy fights, when in reality it's just the opposite!

Everyone that has won a title then defended has stated it is harder to defend a title, I have never seen a champion say otherwise.

Conor has faired well whenever he has nothing to lose and is moving towards a goal. As someone that studies fights as much as he does he is acutely aware how dangerous it also is to give a rematch to someone he just beat, they learn from their mistakes normally and come back stronger. A rematch with someone he just beat doesn't assist him towards his goal of further fame or fortune however a rematch if he loses such as the diaz fight eats away at him and provides that hunger.

At each fork in the road he takes the path that assists his personal fame/wealth not necessarily his legacy as a fighter, nothing wrong with that as he does extremely well at it and is exciting to watch when he does fight but that shouldn't diminish how important title defences are.

Frankie Edgar is a 4 time UFC LW champion. Please explain to me what Nate and Eddie have done in comparison?
Alvarez doesn't even have as many Bellator championships as Frankie has UFC championships, and Diaz couldn't even win a WEC championship.

This thread is garbage.

I think TS just started watching mma a couple weeks ago.

What goes up

and ducks

Eventually comes down
{<jordan}

While reading your post I got so disinterested I forgot about Dre

Nate is a scrub and smashed Conor without wrasslin

Conor would lose at least 5 out of 10 fights against the entire LW top 10, even with his size and reach advantage.

Nate is a scrub and smashed Conor without wrasslin

What does this have to do with the thread? This thread is about the idea that title defenses don't count more than regular fights.

Conor would lose at least 5 out of 10 fights against the entire LW top 10, even with his size and reach advantage.

Again, not relevant to thread.

Didn't read.. Just came here to say"Your an Idiot"

His defenses don't matter? His defenses don't exist mate? Pass some of that crack you are on. It's harder to be targeted than to target someone else. It's easier to prey upon someone else than to be preyed upon. It's easier to take than to keep. It's easier to win a championship, defending it is another level.

Conor ran from Frankie like Forrest Gump ran when his legs started working.

And about title defenses, he's thinking "I can't lose what I don't put on the line." That's true. But what he (and his offputing super fans like yourself) don't realize is that it's not embarrassing to lose a belt, as long as you step up to the plate to defend it. It's FAR more SHAMEFUL to be stripped of not 1 but 2 belts because you don't have the guts to compete like a man and risk losing.

Just like he's running from Khabib right? Conor had bigger fish to fry.

Back