Why Conor sells and Tyrone/Eddie tries-hard

Ar145984

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People miss the point often when trying to imitate the Genius of Conor McGregors promotability. One of the biggest factors that made Conor so big was his i dont give a fuck attitude, he just wanted the belt but was willing to risk it to fight mendes for example, or wrbt to fight rda and risked nate

You Either have it or not, Ferguson has the same type of attitude, even worst, while people recognize his skills, most don't give a rat ass fuck about him...

He was pampered by the UFC and got world tours to promote and drag in noobs like you. Anyone who can be delusional and get world tour promos can achieve the same thing.

And Conor actually had a push behind him.

He talks with a fancy accent and Ireland has nothing else good going for them.

Conor sells because he has a base of Irish nationals and Irish Americans who have always been fight fans and who have been waiting for their next big fighting star.

It doesn't hurt that he's cocky and charismatic.

Conor has filled a void that has long been waiting for him. It was a market ripe for the picking. Conor's success has as much to do with his fanbase as it has to do with his skills and persona.

Conor has a good shtick and he's obviously skilled. But his antics draw in some delusional fans and he's had a good amount of momentum behind him from the UFC. It's difficult to deny that his had some assistance along the way. That's paid off for the UFC and it will continue.

So many people trying to steal his gimmick, how many people have been saying lately that "I knock them out and I pick the round."? I've seen Rockhold, Garbrandt and a couple of others say it, it's hilarious.

He was pampered by the UFC and got world tours to promote and drag in noobs like you. Anyone who can be delusional and get world tour promos can achieve the same thing.

You got that upside down. The UFC saw his star power taking off and made a focused effort to accelerate it. The UFC knows they need a few big stars to carry their PPVs and it's just simple business sense to promote the fighters that have that quality.

If you think they can just promote anyone to greatness you're dead wrong.

Conor and all of these other bums are just following the blueprint that Chael Sonnen (R) created.

Hmm I wonder why conor got the push ?.

You got that upside down. The UFC saw his star power taking off and made a focused effort to accelerate it. The UFC knows they need a few big stars to carry their PPVs and it's just simple business sense to promote the fighters that have that quality.

I'm sure the world seen Ronda as a superstar...nice try. The UFC does the most work when promoting the fighters.

EDIT: I meant the UFC opens up the big window for their puppet to promote themselves ala the world tours etC.

I'm sure the world seen Ronda as a superstar...nice try. The UFC does the most work when promoting the fighters.

EDIT: I meant the UFC opens up the big window for their puppet to promote themselves ala the world tours etC.
Yeah first rd finishes and looking fairly attractive for a champion didnt play a role at all

If there's nothing remotely unique about Conor as you're suggesting, why did the UFC choose him to promote so heavily and not one of the other hundreds of fighters on the UFC roster? :)

You can't fake charisma or having "it." You can become a pretty big star without it if you go on insane undefeated streaks as the champ - but charisma makes it a lot easier.

The rising tide floats all ships so any fighter that complains about Conor is simply a fool who doesn't understand business, marketing, and their own personal limitations.

(I can't say I'm really a fan of Conor - but I, like everyone else, find him interesting.)

No, no, no, the fact that he has all of the qualities of a megastar is entirely incidental. He's only popular because the UFC promoted him. The whole jumping the cage and confronting Jose Aldo face-to-face thing is entirely irrelevant. Any milquetoast fighter can pull his PPV numbers, provided the UFC does promos for them.

<41>

Conor got a push because he was marketable. The UFC is a business. If Woodley or Alvarez were just as marketable, don't you think they'd be milking them for all they're worth already?

Back