Why champs refuse to defend in the UFC?

Not entirely their fault. The UFC has been favoring this stupid fucking gimmick of multiple division champions for the last several years, so champs are basically shelving their actual titles for a year+ to hunt after fights in other divisions.

Why it is not the case in Bellator or ONE or in the UFC several years ago?

Usman and Colby refuse to defend
Cejudo doesn't defend yet in both divisions
Whittaker had problems (ok, I understand here, medical)
Problems at HW...

and of course, Conor !

Contract negotiations. A lot of it has to do with money.

Maybe they feel like they finally have some leverage after becoming champion so they hold out for more money.

Not entirely their fault. The UFC has been favoring this stupid fucking gimmick of multiple division champions for the last several years, so champs are basically shelving their actual titles for a year+ to hunt after fights in other divisions.
Another part of the equation is that the UFC is getting way looser with giving out interim belts or fake BMF belts, so there's not much pressure to make title fights, when they can make one up.

If a champ turns down a fight from the next contender, they should have to vacate.

On the note of champs not defending, DC went 9 months between the Derek Lewis and Stipe2 fights. Khabib and Jones seem to be the only active male champs these days.

To be fair, UFC caused that to drag on by trying to build DC vs Brock and then failing on negotiations with Brock. It wasn't entirely DC's fault.

Fighters seem a bit more business minded these days, maybe they're getting better advice. If they've got halfway decent management becoming champ will bring in more outside money so there's less financial pressure to fight.
We often see fighters willing to fight on short turnarounds or fight injured when they're on the way up because they don't want to lose their spot but once they're champ they can go and get niggling injuries taken care of and fight on their timeline when it's best for them.

To be fair, UFC caused that to drag on by trying to build DC vs Brock and then failing on negotiations with Brock. It wasn't entirely DC's fault.

Good point. Not entirely DCs fault, but still an active title not being defended. UFC needs to get the ball rolling and not holding up titles. They’re really the ones to blame in the end whether or not fighters want to defend.

Problems at HW...

and of course, Conor !
Is this a serious question?

Are you a UFC shill?

Good point. Not entirely DCs fault, but still an active title not being defended. UFC needs to get the ball rolling and not holding up titles. They’re really the ones to blame in the end whether or not fighters want to defend.
Cormier fought twice since he had won the belt. And once with a back injury.

Cormier fought twice since he had won the belt. And once with a back injury.

The point from my original post, the one you’re not quoting, is that’s it took 9 months before he defended for the first time against Black Beast.

EDIT: Read the dates wrong when looking at DCs record. The 9 month timeframe was between the Lewis and Stipe2 fights. Regardless, even when excluding DC from the conversation, too many champs are skating by with not defending their belts.

Last edited:
The point from my original post, the one you’re not quoting, is that’s it took 9 months before he defended for the first time against Black Beast.
The point is that you are an idiot.

Cormier won the belt in July 2018 and fought Lewis in Nov. 2018. This is NOT 9 months. And Cormier had a back injury.

Didn't he win the belt in July then fight BB in November? I'm pretty sure that's how it went making it 4 months.

They probably make more in sponsorship and social media as a champion than by fighting.
Exactly.

When you actually get real fighters like Andrade that defend their belts quickly, they risk a lot if they lose. Sadly, guys like Usman and Woodley benefit from milking the system and taking long layoffs.

As you mentioned, they make money just by BEING a UFC champion from all the sponsorship money. Andrade left a lot of money on the table by risking and losing her belt so quickly, but I respect her a ton for doing so. I only wish more champs were like that.

Cejuo last fought in June (only three months ago), has already defended the flyweight belt, and apparently now has a shoulder injury. Whittaker and Adesanya are scheduled to a fight in a few weeks. And the HW title changed hands less than a month ago.

So I guess your problem is really just with Colby and Usman? And Colby fought last month, so just Usman then. Definitely thread-worthy.

The point is that you are an idiot.

Cormier won the belt in July 2018 and fought Lewis in Nov. 2018. This is NOT 9 months. And Cormier had a back injury.

I stand corrected! I read my months wrong when looking up his fight schedule. Kudos for you for calling other posters idiots on Sherdog. You win the Ultimate Poster Championship interim belt for the day!

The 9 month timeframe was between the Lewis and Stipe2 fights. Cormier sat around waiting to fight Lesnar for 9 months, when everyone knew Lesnar wasn’t coming back back. DC got his hopes up for nothing.

Last edited:
Definitely the opportunity to sign sponsorships and generate income while being champ is a big consideration. Not to mention, the UFC and the fighter will still have to agree on price/opponent for fights. That can lead to dismay. Most fighters aren't consistently active, and behind the scenes fun is likely part of the reason. Champs are no different there, except they get paid more in sponsorships etc while they are champ. Think Pettis and Wheaties vs. after a few losses, or all the MetroPCS folks (minus the good looking ladies, as looks dont go away as fast as titles)

Problems at HW...

and of course, Conor !
Cejudo vs TJ was Cejudo's first title defense, he hasnt defended BW yet, but that fight was 3 months ago.

Back