Why champs refuse to defend in the UFC?

cyrusthevyrus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why it is not the case in Bellator or ONE or in the UFC several years ago?

Usman and Colby refuse to defend
Cejudo doesn't defend yet in both divisions
Whittaker had problems (ok, I understand here, medical)
Problems at HW...

and of course, Conor !

We need more champ champs in MMA
giphy.gif

They probably make more in sponsorship and social media as a champion than by fighting.

Maybe it goes to show that, as disgusting as the pay in UFC is, you’ve gotta keep ‘em hungry or they’ll stop fighting.

Welcome to the WME ducking Era!

If a champ turns down a fight from the next contender, they should have to vacate.

On the note of champs not defending, DC went 9 months between the Derek Lewis and Stipe2 fights. Khabib and Jones seem to be the only active male champs these days.

Why it is not the case in Bellator or ONE or in the UFC several years ago?

Usman and Colby refuse to defend
Cejudo doesn't defend yet in both divisions
Whittaker had problems (ok, I understand here, medical)
Problems at HW...

and of course, Conor !
Cejudo has defended one title against Moraes though

Didn’t Minikov go nearly 5 years before being stripped without defending the Bellator HW title?

Maybe it goes to show that, as disgusting as the pay in UFC is, you’ve gotta keep ‘em hungry or they’ll stop fighting.

Absolutely look at Canelo he's only had something like 15 title fights and is still going or Mayweather who had 26 of them.
Or in other sports where you have Brady still going at 42 or LeBron and Ronaldo still doing it at 34 with 100's of millions in the bank.

Absolutely look at Canelo he's only had something like 15 title fights and is still going or Mayweather who had 26 of them.
Or in other sports where you have Brady still going at 42 or LeBron and Ronaldo still doing it at 34 with 100's of millions in the bank.
So offer a theory as to why this is

Tito and Randy pulled the same shit. Nothing new here. Move along.

That’s stupid. Maybe guys don’t wanna fight absolute killers for chump change? If I was a champ and I knew I was getting a fat check I’d be ready to defend every time. But what’s the point of defending when you’re pulling teeth to get a couple hundred thousand?

Back