Why can't the UFC accept performance enhancing drugs like Pancrase did?

It was even encouraged informally for the fighters to get juiced during the Pancrase days. Why does the UFC need to take a moral stand here?

Pancrase was never shut down by any governing body, yet it was without regulations. Nobody could argue it wouldn't work.

they make them illegal so that they can ban foreign fighters who take them while allowing them for americans like jon jones

Public perception obviously

UFC owners' dream would be to convince the public that there was rigorous drug testing while letting everyone juice like crazy behind the scenes

More juice means less pullouts, less weight misses, and more exciting fights.

also more of this

gsp1.jpg

and less of this -

C-XxBe4VYAA0hpy.jpg

some PEDs are schedule 1 controlled substances
to be a sport, you need to be regulated by a government commission
so can you imagine how it would be if a promotion regulated by the government was encouraging its fighters to take illegal substances?

plus if you take PEDs it means you are mentally weak, no discipline, no heart, and you like sticking needles in your ass like mark hunt would say

if you really want PEDs go watch pro wrasslin
lots of big men in tiny shorts with oiled muscles there

I believe the UFC believed that to further legitimize the sport in the eyes of big name sponsors and to really have a chance at building that very important revenue channel that they needed to institute steroid testing.

I am not sure why they went the full Monty though and instead did not more parallel the NFL testing procedures which I believe are a lot more forgiving in terms of helping athletes "wink, wink" prepare for the tests. I am not FOR steroids in the sport but I just do not think you can prevent it from the guys determined to use and many who have ruined their bodies so badly (looking at you Johnny Hendricks) that they simply cannot perform at top levels without using.

I hope I'm still alive when we get the first generation of genome edited fighters. Transhumans will rule the UFC.

Maybe, though the cyborgs are going to be tough to beat too. And it won't be long until the nano-technology aided ones are going to be very good (instant healing and recovery will be a real advantage).

They don't even have to openly support PEDs, just go back to the golden age of commission-administered tests immediately before and after the fights. :)

if they allow ped's?
Congress will get rustled.... Look what happened to baseball and WWE. You can get away with a fringe sport that uses but not something that is mainstream

Congress will get rustled.... Look what happened to baseball and WWE. You can get away with a fringe sport that uses but not something that is mainstream

Give example of a fringe sport

Wish UFC would encourage roid usage lime PRIDE did…but than wouldn’t allow the sport to be legit and more like circuits fights (i.e. Pride).

Back