Why Can't the Diaz Bros Win Championships?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tall, long reach, best cardio in the sport, best chins in their divisions, insanely durable bodies, great BJJ, great boxing..

That sounds like the attributes of a killer. Yet, it seems that the Diaz bros can barely crack the top 5. Is it their lack of explosiveness and 1 shot power? I think that makes sense because their wrestling doesn't seem up-to-par despite great grappling, which could be explained by lack of explosiveness. What is it?

117_coker_and_nick.jpg

Well... Nick was Strikeforce champ, and at the time Strikeforce was full of sharks

Stockton is holding them back. They can't shake the street off of them. They can't get a belt because they let their pants sag like G's.

Sherdog wouldn't understand. 209 bitches....

Well... Nick was Strikeforce champ, and at the time Strikeforce was full of sharks

Just watched his and Noons 25 minutes of punching each other. Fight had some good boxing on both sides.

Lack of a good kicking game, and lack of interest in employing wrestling. But the biggest thing by far is that they are so set in their style of fighting, and their coaches that they won't step outside of their comfort zone to reach that new level of performance.

And I say this as a hardcore Diaz fan.

They still might. If they get the right match ups. I think Nate beats Eddie. Also Nick Woodley.

Stockton is holding them back. They can't shake the street off of them. They can't get a belt because they let their pants sag like G's.

Dude, they're from Lodi.

It's pretty there.

Are you 12?

Above comments nailed it - Lack of wrestling fundamentals and an offensive / defensive kicking game.

Although in recent fights, they HAVE finally started checking some kicks, so who knows, they may bridge the kicking gap, at least defensively.

I'm a huge Diaz bros fan, but many fighters have proven that if you stick to a good gameplan, they are beatable. It's fighters who fall into their traps, that they dominate.

To be a champ you have to have multiple fighting styles that change within each fight and between each fight. Diaz bros have only one style.

They lack wrestling. If they could score takedowns somewhat at will they could impose their BJJ from the top position on some guys. If they could defend takedowns against higher level wrestlers consistently, they could force those guys to stand with them and would probably have an advantage most often.
It wouldn't hurt if they were a bit stronger, either. It actually might help in.the wrestling/grappling area.

Back