Why can't people admit GSP has holes in his game

Well since we're going this route, if Hendricks' wrestling is so fucking good why did he lose to Story and arguably a fucking lightweight in TJ Grant?

Your talking about a whole fight and a different fighter. This thread is not about fight wins and losses its about the individual skills of GSP that are missing

99% of the heavies is bashing the top athletes in the world for one reason or another. I think the forum can live without another thread like this.

You've been on Sherdog for four years and you think that that's a legitimate possibility?

Your talking about a whole fight and a different fighter. This thread is not about fight wins and losses its about the individual skills of GSP that are missing

I'm talking about a whole fight and a different fighter? What 'whole fight' was I talking about? This thread is about you straw manning an argument and then trying to respond as quickly as possible to anyone who responds. Let's get real, this is a pretty clear troll-job. Literally no one has said that GSP has no flaws in his game.

the things TS mentioned arent really holes. Not finishing guys isnt a hole in your game. Ppl cant exploit it because they are busy being dominated for 25min. Its not like his inability to finish certain fights has allowed ppl to come back, it never happens.

No fighter is perfect but in terms of all around skills from versatile striking to versatile grappling GSP is at the top of my list. There is no one aspect of MMA where you can say lets attack that, its weakness.

Its not like fighters are saying "GSP didnt finish Hardy or Shields, lets attack his lack of finishing ability....." so i really dont know wtf this thread is about. Every fighter has holes or something they are not as good at as other things but TS failed to mention any of GSPs. If you were a trainer preparing your fighter for GSP, what hole would you want to exploit??

If your so good at subs you can create the openings just like a boxer can create an opening for a perfect body shot. GSP just isn't all there with his offensive submission game

Except GSP is a top heavy grappler so a guillotine is highly unlikely as he basically has to be in mount for it to ever happen for him

Unless of course Hardy were to shoot on him as he did to Lytle

Never said it wasn't.

But a guy like Hardy, who's very flexible and clearly has a high pain tolerance, will be harder to submit with a submission that targets the joints and bones, compared to a submission that targets your brain oxygen.

or perhaps the sub wasn't that deep. that is why you apply until the person taps. i'm sure, as evidenced by hardy tapping to a choke, that if the kimura was deep enough that hardy would have tapped. but we are getting distracted from the topic about gsp's holes in his game, which of course he has yet no one is complete enough to exploit it.

He lost 2 rounds to Shields in a kickboxing fight

Saying shit like that loses all credibility.

Honestly I see it a bit and its is either the result of people talking about something they know nothing about or people being so deluded that forget what actually happened.

Its like me saying Chael almost beat Jones as proof of how good Chael is. Or in other words completely fucking retarded.

Well, the reason why GSP is the #1 P4P and the MMA GOAT was revealed to us quite recently:

1. GSP has never been outboxed solidly for 5 whole rounds, unlike Jones was.
2. After GSP got outstruck and TKOd by Serra, in the rematch he went to his wrestling and grappling to make sure he won. Anderson Silva does not have this option and will have to hope he can outstrike Weidman to get the belt back.

If your so good at subs you can create the openings just like a boxer can create an opening for a perfect body shot. GSP just isn't all there with his offensive submission game

Then why hasn't guys exploited his jiu jitsu and boxing then? A weakness is something that can be exploited.

He couldn't finish Shields in a striking match when Jake is one of the worst strikers out there and he had him standing the whole 25 minutes.

I didn't watch the match either. We should start a club. Call it, "People who don't watch MMA, but make comments about specific fights as if they had watched them."

PWDWMMABMCASFAITHWT for short.

So TS -- you're essentially saying that his "hole" is that he couldn't submit Hardy, or KO Shields?

Hardly a "hole". He kept hardy on the ground -- where he wanted him, and he kept Shields standing -- where he wanted him. He didn't get the finish, but he took the fight where he wanted and kept it there, and dominated for 25 minutes in both cases.

Basically, the "holes" you have outlined are that he has trouble finishing fights -- which has been said in every GSP thread in existence. Great job at bring original.

When I hear someone say that a fighter has holes in his game, I generally take that to mean they have some measurable weakness in some aspect of their game, that uncorrected, will be exploited by future opponents. In that sense, GSP is probably as complete a fighter as we've seen. If anything, his previous losses to Serra and Hughes might suggest that he hasn't always been as mentally strong as was needed, though he was very young at the time.

He's seemed maybe a step slower since the surgery and cardio was more of a factor last fight than it has been in the past... so maybe age is catching up.

Well, the reason why GSP is the #1 P4P and the MMA GOAT was revealed to us quite recently:

1. GSP has never been outboxed solidly for 5 whole rounds, unlike Jones was.
2. After GSP got outstruck and TKOd by Serra, in the rematch he went to his wrestling and grappling to make sure he won. Anderson Silva does not have this option and will have to hope he can outstrike Weidman to get the belt back.

Jones lost 5 to 0 hmm not sure what fight I watched then

Ofcourse he has holes, that being said, he's the hardest champ to beat currently imo

Jones lost 5 to 0 hmm not sure what fight I watched then

Well Jones did get outboxed every round

He won the 4th because of a spinning elbow and knees that hurt Gustafsson. Knees and elbows aren't allowed in boxing

He then won the 5th round because of a takedown. Takedowns aren't allowed in boxing

So it is fair to say Jones got outboxed every round. It's not like the guy said Jones got out MMA'd every round

When I hear someone say that a fighter has holes in his game, I generally take that to mean they have some measurable weakness in some aspect of their game, that uncorrected, will be exploited by future opponents.

Exactly - agree with this definition 100%.

To me, in that sense, GSPs inability (or unwillingness) to go for the finish isn't really a "hole". He still keeps the fight where he wants it, and pretty much 50-45s everyone and controls the fight start to finish. I think he still tries for finishes given the right situation (i.e. armbars vs Hardy), but he doesn't put himself in harms way, or a less dominant position in order to do so.

Submission offense and a lack of power in his strikes are his "holes" in his game.

That's pretty much it. He's excellent at avoiding the sub, but poor (relatively speaking) at slapping them on. Also, he lacks the kind of firepower that several other guys in the division have. That's why he has less margin for error than some other champions.

Which makes his streak of title wins all the more impressive.

Well actually having a weak submission game and lack of striking power can be taken advantage of because if you don't submit the guy and cant knock him out he is still in the fight

good and valid point

Back