Why can't I make a fist correctly?

There's an alternative way to make a fist that deals with this issue. It requires completely changing how you make your fist so don't bother until you've exhausted all other options.

The change is only applied to the index finger so the 3 outside fingers don't change.

Start with holding your hand like you're making a pretend gun. Index finger pointed, thumb up, last 3 fingers closed like a fist. Now bend the index finger at the base, so it's pointing 90 degrees from it's earlier position, then bend the finger at the next knuckle so that the top 2 segments of the index finger are resting on your palm.

This is the primary difference - the index finger not being curled under.

Finish by putting your thumb in it's normal position. This should fix the extension of the index knuckle and probably the middle knuckle as well.

Edit: I have no idea how this works with wraps.

There's an alternative way to make a fist that deals with this issue. It requires completely changing how you make your fist so don't bother until you've exhausted all other options.

The change is only applied to the index finger so the 3 outside fingers don't change.

Start with holding your hand like you're making a pretend gun. Index finger pointed, thumb up, last 3 fingers closed like a fist. Now bend the index finger at the base, so it's pointing 90 degrees from it's earlier position, then bend the finger at the next knuckle so that the top 2 segments of the index finger are resting on your palm.

Finish by putting your thumb in it's normal position. This should fix the extension of the index knuckle and probably the middle knuckle as well.

ouch...cant you break the index finger that way? or maybe im picturing it wrong but i dont think so.

here is a pic of my ****

237427-rooster.jpg

What is your edit referring to? Also, what does caulking your wrists mean? I just tape them. And yeah, my finger on my right hand hurt, mostly my index.

Haha, yeah. I tried to say c-o-c-k your wrist, and it censored me, so I went with caulk which, at least in American English, is pronounced more or less the same.

Hurt how? In gloves or without?

Haha, yeah. I tried to say c-o-c-k your wrist, and it censored me, so I went with caulk which, at least in American English, is pronounced more or less the same.

Hurt how? In gloves or without?

If I make a fist and push on my index finger, it's sore. Not horribly so, but I can feel it right now as I type. My hand is also sore in the morning right when I get up. For the record, I'm pretty new to Muay Thai (like three weeks new) so it might just be my body getting adjusted to the sport. I came into this in terrible shape, so my knee is also wonky from pivoting for kicks.

Thanks for the advice, but for whatever reason, this doesn't work for me, although it does seem to make the problem less pronounced. I appreciate the response.

You may have a deformity which makes punching damaging for you.

What exactly is preventing the finger from curling into a fist??

You may have a deformity which makes punching damaging for you.

What exactly is preventing the finger from curling into a fist??

It just won't do it. I talked to my instructor last night and he said it wasn't a problem. Also, the pic I provided in the OP is, ironically, from a web page called "How to Make a Fist" and is the "correct" fist made by some martial arts guru.

See?

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=510

I have the same issue, just not as pronounced as in the picture. It really isn't a big deal, just continue to focus on making impact with your top knuckles. If you punch a bag without gloves but with correct technique, you may have slight abrasions on the middle knuckles.

It's just the shape and flexibility of our hands.

ouch...cant you break the index finger that way? or maybe im picturing it wrong but i dont think so.

Not if you're punching correctly. Structurally, your knuckle alignment is identical to forming your fist the more traditional manner. And your thumb lacks the strength to break your index finger in that position.

I have a similar lack of mobility, where I can't for the life of me make a fist that hits with my first knuckles, As can be seen from the second image, the mobility issue is in my knuckles, even with fingers out I can't get them past a 90 degree bend.

What gives, has anyone encountered this before? Is there a way to strike around it or to mobilise past it?

And no it doesn't have to do with how I am making the fist, and no it won't collapse into a better position from the force of a strike. It's also not a temporary condition that will go away from rest.

Cheers.
View attachment 796980 View attachment 796981

I have a similar lack of mobility, where I can't for the life of me make a fist that hits with my first knuckles, As can be seen from the second image, the mobility issue is in my knuckles, even with fingers out I can't get them past a 90 degree bend.

What gives, has anyone encountered this before? Is there a way to strike around it or to mobilise past it?

And no it doesn't have to do with how I am making the fist, and no it won't collapse into a better position from the force of a strike. It's also not a temporary condition that will go away from rest.

Cheers.

bend the wrist

Cheers.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a-sinister-fist-tutorial.2236285/
Read that and watch Sinister's video on it, it should help. He shows you how to make a correct fist rather than a blocky one like you're holding something in your hand like a lot of people do

Start hitting walls- your fist will learn the correct position through pain, why does everyone wants to learn stuff from the internet?

disclaimer: go light don't break your hand and pin it on me later :(

Last edited:
If I keep my wrist straight like I'm supposed to, there is no way I can tuck my fist in tight enough to strike with my bottom knuckle on my index and middle finger like I'm supposed to. Instead, my middle knuckles jut out too far, and I end up connecting with the finger part of my fist. The only way to correct this is by bending my wrist slightly down, but I'm told that this shouldn't be done. Is my fist just the wrong shape for fighting? Does anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: This should make it clearer: This isn't my hand, but I noticed that this fist has the same issue. See how the fingers stick out so that if he was punching straight on the lower knuckle and finger would connect with a flat surface before the knuckles he's supposed to connect with? His arm is even sloped down in this pic, if it was straight, the problem would be even more pronounced. I don't know if his other fingers do the same thing, but mine do. Basically, my middle knuckles jut out.

making-a-fist-2.jpg

Do you guys get what I'm saying now?

Your fist is quite clearly not in line with your wrist.

But - yes, this is normal. This is why people breaks their hands when punching.

Your fist is quite clearly not in line with your wrist.

But - yes, this is normal. This is why people breaks their hands when punching.

the thumb is pushing the index finger outwards in the pic

first curl the four small fingers and then curl the thumb..
maybe try to slide the four fingers from the bottom of the palm towards the final position , I don't do it like this in fights though its just a quick motion

Last edited:
Years of boxing actually changes the alignment of your fists.

yes thats true it also changes more your dominant hand , I don't feel pain with my right fist but if I don't place my first correctly I may strain my left fist, that's more when Im going southpaw and can land power shots with the left

I have that too, a bit more pronounced on the right hand.
You can either continue to practice punching until you get the right angle, maybe use bag mitts to get better feedback. Or you can get pillowy type gloves and be forgiven of your sins. These are the only 2 things I know of.

Back