Why can't I make a fist correctly?

Zuben**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I keep my wrist straight like I'm supposed to, there is no way I can tuck my fist in tight enough to strike with my bottom knuckle on my index and middle finger like I'm supposed to. Instead, my middle knuckles jut out too far, and I end up connecting with the finger part of my fist. The only way to correct this is by bending my wrist slightly down, but I'm told that this shouldn't be done. Is my fist just the wrong shape for fighting? Does anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: This should make it clearer: This isn't my hand, but I noticed that this fist has the same issue. See how the fingers stick out so that if he was punching straight on the lower knuckle and finger would connect with a flat surface before the knuckles he's supposed to connect with? His arm is even sloped down in this pic, if it was straight, the problem would be even more pronounced. I don't know if his other fingers do the same thing, but mine do. Basically, my middle knuckles jut out.

making-a-fist-2.jpg

Do you guys get what I'm saying now?

Last edited:
If I keep my wrist straight like I'm supposed to, there is no way I can tuck my fist in tight enough to strike with my bottom knuckle on my index and middle finger like I'm supposed to. Instead, my middle knuckles jut out too far, and I end up connecting with the finger part of my fist. The only way to correct this is by bending my wrist slightly down, but I'm told that this shouldn't be done. Is my fist just the wrong shape for fighting? Does anyone else have this issue?

fat fingers? i have no idea...

Same with me. Not a big deal. Keep a tight fist on impact.

Same with me. Not a big deal. Keep a tight fist on impact.

So don't bend the wrist at all, just hit with the wrong part of my fist? My right hand already kind of hurts from this. Not a lot, but I notice it.

We don't know anything about how or what you punch.

I know what you're talking about as I kinda have the same problem. So yes, you should bend your wrist just enough to be able to connect with the knuckles. It's the only way not to break your hand.

So don't bend the wrist at all, just hit with the wrong part of my fist? My right hand already kind of hurts from this. Not a lot, but I notice it.

Whatever you do DON'T bend the wrist that the worst thing you could do. It may prevent breaking your knuckle but it's much easier to hurt your hand than your knuckles and probably more dangerous don't ever bend your wrist when you punch hold in the they way that it's supported the best. Just "punch" very weakly against a wall (I mean really weak) or/and try pushups on your knuckles and you will see that bending your wrist is a sure way of breaking/hurting it if you throw full power

Whatever you do DON'T bend the wrist that the worst thing you could do. It may prevent breaking your knuckle but it's much easier to hurt your hand than your knuckles and probably more dangerous don't ever bend your wrist when you punch hold in the they way that it's supported the best. Just "punch" very weakly against a wall (I mean really weak) or/and try pushups on your knuckles and you will see that bending your wrist is a sure way of breaking/hurting it if you throw full power

Punching the wall slightly is what I do. And I always have to bend my wrist at a 10 degree angle.

Punching the wall slightly is what I do. And I always have to bend my wrist at a 10 degree angle.

When I do it as well but my fist also happens to be stabilized the best when I do it so it's the natural position for me. If your fist is 100% safe then I don't really consider it to be really bend since it's seemingly it's natural position. You can bend really really slightly but really only as long as you feel that nothing happens when you punch.
So yeah maybe he should just punch against the wall carefully and he will see himself how to hold it correctly

We don't know anything about how or what you punch.

I'm doing muay thai, so basic jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts into bags and pads. Not sure what else you want to know.

I absolutely cannot do pushups on my fists without bending my wrists inward a little. Not possible.

Have you broken your hands? I've broken several fingers and knuckles over the years and my hands are all screwed up looking. It doesn’t matter much with gloves on but hitting without gloves is a challenge.

I'm doing muay thai, so basic jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts into bags and pads. Not sure what else you want to know.

So you're in gloves, punching soft things?

Do your gloves have a grip bar in the center? It may be soft or firm, but do you have it? Also... are your gloves beat out where your punch lands? Also, are the bags hard as fuck where you hit them?

This isn't my hand, but I noticed that this fist has the same issue. See how the fingers stick out so that if he was punching straight on the lower knuckle and finger would connect with a flat surface before the knuckles he's supposed to connect with? His arm is even sloped down in this pic, if it was straight, the problem would be even more pronounced. I don't know if his other fingers do the same thing, but mine do. Basically, my middle knuckles jut out.

making-a-fist-2.jpg

Do you guys get what I'm saying now?

So you're in gloves, punching soft things?

Do your gloves have a grip bar in the center? It may be soft or firm, but do you have it? Also... are your gloves beat out where your punch lands? Also, are the bags hard as fuck where you hit them?

It's not a hard or soft issue, it's an issue of shape and the angles created by that shape.

Oh my bad, I thought you were asking for help.

Oh my bad, I thought you were asking for help.

I am. The problem isn't my equipment though. Mostly, I'm curious how other people with this shape in their fist deal with this issue.

My fist does the same thing. I don't think it's much of an issue. Your fingers collapse into your hand somewhat when you strike the target, and the real impact is delivered by the knuckles. I can hit the bag bare-fisted all day and experience no soreness of my finger joints, but walk away with bright red, scraped up knuckles, despite the fact that my fingers appear to be projecting past my knuckles when I make a fist.

**** your wrist and form your fist correctly, and it shouldn't be much of an issue. Is it causing you problems, or do you just imagine that it might?

Edit: Good lord. Caulk your wrist, then.

My fist does the same thing. I don't think it's much of an issue. Your fingers collapse into your hand somewhat when you strike the target, and the real impact is delivered by the knuckles. I can hit the bag bare-fisted all day and experience no soreness of my finger joints, but walk away with bright red, scraped up knuckles, despite the fact that my fingers appear to be projecting past my knuckles when I make a fist.

**** your wrist and form your fist correctly, and it shouldn't be much of an issue. Is it causing you problems, or do you just imagine that it might?

Edit: Good lord. Caulk your wrist, then.

What is your edit referring to? Also, what does caulking your wrists mean? I just tape them. And yeah, my finger on my right hand hurt, mostly my index.

I think Discipulus had his term censored in his post, so he used caulk, which sort of rhymes with and starts with the same letter as the 4 letter word he has trying to use.

Back