Why can't BJ return to LW for non-title fights like Diego does?

Because he doesn't enjoy cutting so instead would rather get beat up against bigger guys at WW

Yeah, i hear ya. I'd love to ask him if he still thinks was a good deal, cause for us BJ fans it was really painful to see him get destroyed like that.:icon_neut

Honestly, I feel like only BJ knows what's going on in his head.

He didn't cut ANY weight for Rory and was clearly in pretty good shape, it's not like he came in as BJ Pizza Penn.

Maybe he thinks the challenges at WW were greater and wanted to test himself?

Maybe he saw the possibility for one last title run at WW?

Maybe he just hates cutting weight?

Maybe he thinks he'll make more money in big fights at WW and just wants to cash out?

i doubt he needs the money.. but bj is lazy he has said himself he hates to cut the weight

Because he's lazy. That's coming from a BJ fan.

But remember his second fight with Jens? He came in at like 153. That wasn't dieting; that was just hard work. I agree with the people here who are saying he's lost the fire. I hope he either moves back to 155 or retires. At 170 he's just an oddity at this point.

My guess is that he is too lazy to discipline himself through dieting and weight cutting. It's much easier to just let yourself go and fight at 170

This isn't an indictment, but I don't think BJ wants it bad enough to train the way he has to keep fighting at a high level.

I think BJ enjoys fighting, but he doesn't enjoy the prep work, or rather, there are things he'd rather be doing, like spending time with his family in Hawaii.

When you have financial security and a young family, it might seem kind of crazy to give up that time when you could just be living that good life everyone else is working so hard to enjoy in retirement.

The first win over Hughes was BJ's best and worst moment.

It has led him to chasing short cuts to glory ever since when prior he was known for training and wars.

If he beats a highly ranked WW (Fitch) or a top ranked up and comer at WW (Rory) he instantly gets that glory for being a little guy beating giants. If he fights a run of the mill LW, he gets little credit as he will be the favorite. And BJ does not want to have to string together multiple wins to regain glory. That is too much training over too much time. He wants that glory in one big win, like he got when he beat Hughes.

Retirement is still too early . He isn't that old and could have a few more good years of MMA left. At the worst he would still be top 10 at LW ( I would say top 5 ). A couple of the right match ups and he could go on one more run for the LW title or get a win streak going for himself. Not one as big as he wants ( too much talent at LW ) but I don't see why he couldn't go on a 4 fight win streak by easing himself back into the division instead of jumping right in with the top guys again. His fight back could be with someone who isn't top ten but has made a name for themselves.

Why can't BJ return to LW for non-title fights like Diego does?

I want to watch fun fights and don't always care about title implications. They should just let the fighters move around and pick fun fights now and then.

An upper tier fighter like Kenny Florian can say he faced BJ, Gomi, Aldo. Hendo can say he faced Fedor, Nog, Wanderlei, Anderson Silva, Rampage, Shogun, and soon Lyoto. Anderson Silva can say he faced Bonnar, Irvin, Forrest, Thales Leites, Patrick Cote.

After thinking about it, I think a lot has to do with the fighter actually asking for these big bouts. It takes guts to ask for bigger challenges.

Tough to be a Penn fan. He should be on the level of Fedor and Anderson but will never be close.

I'm a huge BJ fan and it makes me sad that he will go out on a loss like that. BJ can still DEFINITELY main or co-main event some cards.

Is he 100% retired? if not then do you guys want to see BJ fight some top 6 to top 10 LWs? BJ vs Dan Miller as co-main event for a Fox card sounds awesome to me :D

We see guys like Diego NEVER giving up and still trying to fight at LW. Why can't BJ do the same? He doesn't have to be champion to be a fighter. Look at kenflo all his career a coentender but never champ yet he was still a draw on ppv cards

So imagine BJ vs Jim Miller or Donald Cerrone :D

Those guys would make for an exciting fight that BJ has at least a 50% chance of winning, why wouldn't dana support this idea especially when hes working hard to stack an increasing number of cards

You want him to stay at WW to fight Dan or cut to 155 to fight Jim?

His pride won't let him. He doesn't see the point in fighting if he can't bask in the adoration that comes with being champ.

He's got all of his camp and Hawaii telling him "Your da best B.J!", "Go champ!", "Just Scrap!", "Unlimited potential just not motivated!".

He's not gonna give that up to become a gatekeeper.

he doesn't want to risk losing to guys his size

when he loses to guys in bigger weight class, there's more sympathy/empathy/understanding, and bj figures it's better for his legacy

bj is a lil slower now than he used to be
but he is a lil stronger than he used to be as well.

i wish he didnt retire , i always get hyped to watch him fight.

but i do agree with those that say that the fire is gone.

he is an mma legend and should be able to do as he pleases in the UFC and fight who he wants if he wants. he has earned that.

This photo says it all:

pennmac.jpg

Mentally, he's done as a fighter. Edgar, Diaz, and MacDonald broke him. He still has the physical gifts to be a top LW, but he doesn't have the mental toughness anymore. The mental aspect is just as important as the physical aspect. You can't be a top-level fighter without both. It's sad to see a legend like BJ get stomped, but that's the nature of the game. Hungry, physically superior up and comers overtake the old, worn down legends.

I want to watch fun fights and don't always care about title implications. They should just let the fighters move around and pick fun fights now and then.

An upper tier fighter like Kenny Florian can say he faced BJ, Gomi, Aldo. Hendo can say he faced Fedor, Nog, Wanderlei, Anderson Silva, Rampage, Shogun, and soon Lyoto. Anderson Silva can say he faced Bonnar, Irvin, Forrest, Thales Leites, Patrick Cote.

After thinking about it, I think a lot has to do with the fighter actually asking for these big bouts. It takes guts to ask for bigger challenges.

Forrest was #4 LHW, a weight class above him. Don't forget Sonnen, Marquardt, Hendo, and Okami. Embarrassingly ignorant post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back