Why Can Some of the Best Strikers Get Away With Their Chin in the Air?

Not really. Your head would have to be facing the floor for that to be possible. which is as bad as if not worse than keeping your chin up.

Shogun%252520vs%252520Machida%252520II.gif

He was leaning right already when he threw, he could have moved his head down and right (especially since he checked Shogun's left hand going in). He had almost an overhand arc on the straight and was stepping forward and right anyway so he could have put his arm/shoulder and distance between his head and Shogun's overhand. I understand the value of seeing everything during exchanges, but I think the head movement would have been worth the smaller range of vision for that moment. But, who am I to question Machida's methods? It just looks to me like his head didn't have to be there. But then Shogun's punch could very well have arced around regardless so...

well machida paid for it in the rua 2 fight. i dont think its a good idea to leave the chin out. Certainly if you're such a good striker you should know!

And Pettis will pay for it if he ever fights Aldo.

You would be surprised how common this rhetoric actually is amongst gyms. Most cornermen on regional shows will do absolutely nothing beyond yell "HANDS UP!" after the slightest provocation, as if blocking strikes is in any way more viable than actually....... evading them. It's really quite concerning.

Myself, I like to keep the rear hand high for parries or hand-fighting.. I usually jab from the waist though lol.
My bread and butter.

Footwork and head movement

Yes, but he understands distance better than almost anyone in the UFC.
And he doesn't need head movement as much when he is utilizing his footwork better than almost anyone in the UFC.

He does control the range and distance exceptionally well, also.

You would be surprised how common this rhetoric actually is amongst gyms. Most cornermen on regional shows will do absolutely nothing beyond yell "HANDS UP!" after the slightest provocation, as if blocking strikes is in any way more viable than actually....... evading them. It's really quite concerning.

Myself, I like to keep the rear hand high for parries or hand-fighting.. I usually jab from the waist though lol.
Idk, I think of it like the last base of defense if all other options fail. Of course "Move your head" might be better advice mid-fight than "Hands up" But it certainly helps.. I mean its a fight, you are going to get hit, and probably hit alot.

Lol.. Bullshit.. Pettis would finish Aldo.
I dont know about finish, but I think Pettis is better than Aldo. He can kick at a range, although Aldo's speed advantage might just light him up with the hands. + He has pretty long arms. We havent really seen Aldo have to fight someone taller with better range, curious to see what Aldo would do to get on the inside.
Aldo def doesnt want to be in Pettis guard either. Idk this fight would be epic.

Bate. Machida bates his opponents in, though it didn't work out very well against Rua.

Yes, but he understands distance better than almost anyone in the UFC.

Of course.

But his lack of head movement was exposed in the Shogun fights. When Shogun would swarm him Machida would move back with his chin in the air. Got tagged hard a good few times.

Like this

rkzhgz_jpg.gif

He's not a 'pocket' fighter it's not that much of a problem but whenever he's in striking distance his lack of head movement is apparent

Last edited:
But, who am I to question Machida's methods? It just looks to me like his head didn't have to be there. But then Shogun's punch could very well have arced around regardless so...
Well, Machida's head movement (or lack thereof) is well-documented. It's pretty much a non-issue because his footwork is truly exceptional, some of the best in all of mma, and he just about NEVER fights at a range where head movement is necessary because he's only ever that close when performing one of his signature flurries, and even then he's already moving back out of striking range after landing his own stuff.

But, the issue with that .gif lies not in Machida's poor boxing form or lack of head movement, but rather his awful decision to step in behind a left straight at boxing range after already having landed his painful left knee strike. Shogun wanted him to come in again, and instead of backing out and re-establishing distance as Machida does 90% of the time, he did just that and got knocked the fuck out. He pretty much fed him a chance cross counter because Shogun was just waiting to sling that right hook as soon as Machida punched.

As an aside, slinging the right hook as soon as the opponent punches comprises about 90% of the striking of Glover Teixeira.

Well, Machida's head movement (or lack thereof) is well-documented. It's pretty much a non-issue because his footwork is truly exceptional, some of the best in all of mma, and he just about NEVER fights at a range where head movement is necessary because he's only ever that close when performing one of his signature flurries, and even then he's already moving back out of striking range after landing his own stuff.

But, the issue with that .gif lies not in Machida's poor boxing form or lack of head movement, but rather his awful decision to step in behind a left straight at boxing range after already having landed his painful left knee strike. Shogun wanted him to come in again, and instead of backing out and re-establishing distance as Machida does 90% of the time, he did just that and got knocked the fuck out. He pretty much fed him a chance cross counter because Shogun was just waiting to sling that right hook as soon as Machida punched.

As an aside, slinging the right hook as soon as the opponent punches comprises about 90% of the striking of Glover Teixeira.

Good point. It was pretty uncharacteristic of Lyoto to go in twice in quick succession like that.

Pettis and Machida use range and movement to stay out of the power attack zone. Their style dictates movement. They both use kicks and that requires space. You also have to take into account stance.

I always wondered how Shogun never got KO'd for this in pride. His striking often times consisted of sprinting at an opponent windmilling his punches with his chin held high.

It has a lot to do with posture. Most people aren't used to having their spines straight and their chins down. Guys who keep their shoulders in very good position often don't tuck their chins because it's uncomfortable, and the styles that put the most focus on posture are the same that put the most focus on fighting from the outside where having the chin untucked is less of a problem.

It's not a good idea though. You get hurt more by punches when your chin is up. The ideal is shoulders back, chest forward, back straight and chin tucked.

Shogun%252520vs%252520Machida%252520II.gif

He was leaning right already when he threw, he could have moved his head down and right (especially since he checked Shogun's left hand going in). He had almost an overhand arc on the straight and was stepping forward and right anyway so he could have put his arm/shoulder and distance between his head and Shogun's overhand. I understand the value of seeing everything during exchanges, but I think the head movement would have been worth the smaller range of vision for that moment. But, who am I to question Machida's methods? It just looks to me like his head didn't have to be there. But then Shogun's punch could very well have arced around regardless so...

Sure, if he knew exactly what Shogun was gonna do he could have avoided it. Leaning that far when throwing a straight is bad form, unless you're doing it specifically to facilitate a defensive movement after. You don't make that movement when you're trying to hurt the other guy though, you do it when you're trying to disrupt him and ideally take what would be an inside angle for Lyoto. In this case, Machida wanted to hurt Shogun. His intent was to land that punch as hard as possible. It was poorly timed and thrown at an opponent who was ready to counter, which is very atypical for him. Normally he doesn't need to worry about defense once he's attacking because he's sure to get the opponent out of position (such as when he's taken an angle or when they throw a kick, one of his favorite times to rush) or when he's gotten them chasing him. In this example, the absence of any of these advantages for him gets him knocked out. It's what happens when a counter fighter feels the need to prove something and gets more aggressive. His skill at leading, except with kicks, doesn't match his skill at countering. Just like Silva.

I always wondered how Shogun never got KO'd for this in pride. His striking often times consisted of sprinting at an opponent windmilling his punches with his chin held high.

Shogun always had decent head movement, when he started into the GP is when he started really using his head movement well. He wasn't impossible to hit but he wasn't easy that's for sure. He made Chuck look like an amateur with his head movement. Also he wouldn't stand and bang with someone who'd punch him out.

It works because both of those fighters have excellent Footwork, like Anderson Silva.

To get inside you really shouldn't be eating punches. Cover their lead hand, or move your head as they jab, and step in.Tucked chin is pretty ideal in general because it pre-emptively braces the muscles of your neck to reduce the impact of the blow if you get clipped. I almost never use the gloves to defend but I always dip my chin. Usually chin-tucked = guy focuses on head movement, whereas a more upright fighter focuses on using feet as defense, but I try to combine the two. On the other hand (pun not intended), "hands up" is NEVER enough because gloves really aren't meant to block punches, but rather, protect the hands. Of course it works in situations where you use boxing gloves, etc. but it's a bad habit to get into because it freezes you bolt-upright in front of them and makes it harder to counter, which footwork/head movement doesn't, and in fact makes it easier to do so.

People will say, "if your hands are up a punch that lands will be softened!" and while that is true, if one was moving the head or using the feet correctly, it never would have landed in the first place. Like, why do I need to block a punch that I could've evaded by simply ending my combination with angling footwork (1-2-step out-pivot), etc...?

Basically a lot of fighters just try to get by with illegitimate modes of defense because they aren't taught or trained any better. Stefan Struve is a good example, he only tries to cover up and it never helps because he always gets lit the fuck up even in fights that he wins, and Mark Hunt regularly hooked around his gloves every time he covered.

But, I do like to hold the phone while throwing low kicks and hooks for sure, because it provides the threat of a hand destruction + allows one to cover their chin, temple AND back of the ear while striking.

Use those 52 blocks haha
i23245_Page2.gif

Back