Why Can Some of the Best Strikers Get Away With Their Chin in the Air?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
People like Pettis and Machida dont tuck their chins in the slightest, almost looking up. Its like the opposite of tucking their chin and I suppose it comes from that TMA background.
Is it because their style is not to get hit that much, being out fighters, that its ok?

Im short and I have to eat shots to get on the inside, so I would never dream of doing this, but taller people with great range are getting away with it I guess. Is this a flaw that they just get away with? Or is there any real advantage to not looking up through your eyebrows?

well machida paid for it in the rua 2 fight. i dont think its a good idea to leave the chin out. Certainly if you're such a good striker you should know!

Because they have good striking defence.. Still not wise though

They get away with it beacuse they have good defense. Tucking your chin is not very comfortable, so fighters that are confident they wont get hit just ignore it sometimes.

If you have superb reflexes and a strong sense of your opponent's rhythm, which comes from years and years and thousands of hours of experience and sparring, you can get away with breaking some rules now and then.

Now, most of the time they will bring their hands up when their opponents move in, so it's not that they keep their hands low the whole time or anything.

For people who don't breathe and sleep striking, though, it is highly advisable to keep your hands up and chin tucked.

With regard to TMA, in a lot of the modern bullshit mcdojo incarnations (where it's purely about selling a product, not teaching you how to fight), you don't even strike at the face when sparring, so you never really learn to guard your chin.

Yeah i think u might be right about being from TMA which is more like old school boxing (19th century). You keep your foot forward while leaning back almost to create a safe distance from opponent's strikes

Some are just good at managing the distance and are trying to draw certain shots from their opponents. Of course, it's still risky.

For machida at least, it's because he doesn't stand in boxing range, and uses movement instead of letting his opponent hit him in the forehead etc.

McGregor does the same thing but you know, McGregoat and whatnot...

People like Pettis and Machida dont tuck their chins in the slightest, almost looking up. Its like the opposite of tucking their chin and I suppose it comes from that TMA background.
Is it because their style is not to get hit that much, being out fighters, that its ok?

Im short and I have to eat shots to get on the inside, so I would never dream of doing this, but taller people with great range are getting away with it I guess. Is this a flaw that they just get away with? Or is there any real advantage to not looking up through your eyebrows?
Well Machida fights from outside his opponent's punching range most of the time. But when he does jump in, that "chin in the air" has gotten him clocked before.

Footwork, head movement. Look at Pernell Whitaker dude would straight up drop his hands and hold his head up and dodge like 10 punches standing still.

Shogun gives an in depth explanation in this video:

lmao. I forgot it was because Lyoto is very movey.
Only reason Shogun beat him is because only thing he do is trainy, eaty, and sleepy

[YT]6f1W3MnHe_o[/YT]

well machida paid for it in the rua 2 fight. i dont think its a good idea to leave the chin out. Certainly if you're such a good striker you should know!

I didn't know your chin was in your temple. The things you learn from retarded people.

Back