Why blame Blaydes for taking down and controlling Volkov, instead of blaming Volkov...

Oh you dont think volkov showed a good ground defense? COOOOL story bruhhhhh

Not good enough for Blaydes apparently, if it was good enough he wouldn't have been taken down so many times and controlled so easily.

Heavyweight has hilariously low skill and athleticism compared to the lower weight divisions.

Some jabronis always counter with "if its so easy why doesn't everyone move up" and the common sense answer is Volkov is 6'7". If you are fighting someone enormously larger than you, being more skilled isn't enough.

You see completely one dimensional, poorly conditioned, slow guys like Blaydes and realize he just dominated Volk who looked helpless himself. These are not dynamic, well rounded fighters, yet they are some of the highest ranked guys in the world right now at heavyweight.

Until the entry pay in the UFC isn't 12k to get brain damage, we are not going to see suitably athletic young guys that size enter MMA.

agreed. volkov was the one who made HW look bad, yet again. you can only be that one-dimensional and get away with it at HW. i mean at least learn a few sub attempts from your back or something, he's like a throwback to the old days.

agreed. volkov was the one who made HW look bad, yet again. you can only be that one-dimensional and get away with it at HW. i mean at least learn a few sub attempts from your back or something, he's like a throwback to the old days.

Both of them are like throwbacks to the old days.

And what did we learn from the old days? That grapplers beat strikers every time, if those are the only dimensions you have.

No one should have been shocked by this.

Both of them are like throwbacks to the old days.

And what did we learn from the old days? That grapplers beat strikers every time, if those are the only dimensions you have.

No one should have been shocked by this.
blaydes has some decent striking, he was actually holding his own in the striking until he gassed. by HW standards he's almost well-rounded.

I totally understand the easiest path to victory argument and especially when he's close to the #1 contendership. But that does make it entertaining. That was horrendous to watch, except for about 40 seconds to start Rd 2. Volkov shares the blame, but Blaydes was driving us off to dreamland

Actually Volkov's ground game is one of the best in the HW division, his submission attempts aren't too dangerous but his guard and defensive BJJ are top notch. He fought 4 rounds against Werdum on his back and easily defended all submission attempts and never let Werdum advance to any serious positions (like mount or taking back). Then he went 5 rounds with Blaydes and easily neutralised GnP, once again he was never seriously threatened on the ground.

Actually Volkov's ground game is one of the best in the HW division, his submission attempts aren't too dangerous but his guard and defensive BJJ are top notch. He fought 4 rounds against Werdum on his back and easily defended all submission attempts and never let Werdum advance to any serious positions (like mount or taking back). Then he went 5 rounds with Blaydes and easily neutralised GnP, once again he was never seriously threatened on the ground.

He is pretty good defensively but he is not good offensively.

If you want to make people hesitant to take you down, you have to be good offensively off your back.

No one wants to take down Ortega for example, so everyone is forced to stand and trade with him, because they know if they even as much as shoot on him they could get guillotine'd.

I can blame Bladyes for being boring in this fight.

Nobody blames Volk because Curtis initiated many take down and had top position for 5 rounds and HE did nothing with it. No punches. No submission attempts. Nothing. Held him down.

In MMA it's considered stalling if you aren't trying to advance your position or throw meaningful strikes. If Volk isn't doing anything from the bottom he is also stalling and this is considered naturally a stalemate by both guys. Aka time to stand it up

Herb Dean needed to stand them up multiple times throughout the fight but clearly failed to do so.

Curtis Blaydes was boring as fuk in this fight.

Second thread you’ve made trying to justify a putrid fight... you’re getting desperate lad.

Just come to grips with the fact that HW is regressing back to one dimensional UFC 1 days...

LOL id rather watch a fight like this 10x in a row than volkov vs blades
C0Mdnho.gif

I think it was more that Blaydes was so ineffective in doing damage and actually attempting to do something with his wrestling. No one would be complaining if he would be more offensive and finished the fight or did some damage. When you have an opponent that isn't offering much offense on the ground like Volkov, that should make Blaydes engage more.

I'm just saying, Blaydes isn't the one to blame here. He fought within the rules and got the win, I don't see what he did wrong.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!
People know he fought within the rules.
Nobody accused him of cheating.
They accused him of taking down Volkov and doing nothing to him.
A takedown should be followed by GROUND and POUND with the intention of finishing your opponent not by "I will wait for the judges decision"

A takedown should be followed by GROUND and POUND with the intention of finishing your opponent not by "I will wait for the judges decision"

Says who?

Why didn't Volkov stand back up or submit him? Blame Volkov for doing nothing but helplessly laying underneath Blaydes.

Or blame the ruleset for allowing Blaydes to do what he did and for allowing him to get a win the way that he did.

Hate the game not the player.

I can blame Bladyes for being boring in this fight.

Nobody blames Volk because Curtis initiated many take down and had top position for 5 rounds and HE did nothing with it. No punches. No submission attempts. Nothing. Held him down.

In MMA it's considered stalling if you aren't trying to advance your position or throw meaningful strikes. If Volk isn't doing anything from the bottom he is also stalling and this is considered naturally a stalemate by both guys. Aka time to stand it up

Herb Dean needed to stand them up multiple times throughout the fight but clearly failed to do so.

Curtis Blaydes was boring as fuk in this fight.

Sounds like you have a problem with Herb Dean, not Curtis Blaydes.

Ther problem is the 10-point system who rewards lay n pray fighters.

Changing the system is one way of resolving this problem. Another one is to just develop wicked BJJ like Brian Ortega for example.

Nobody is shooting on that guy. When you have that kind of BJJ, no one can do to you what Blaydes did to Volkov tonight.

Its not Blaydes fault that Volkov isn't skilled enough to threaten him on the ground.

LMFAO sure, I am the triggered one.

What an absolute retard.

Clean the sand out of your pussy and try again,

Well, yeah, you opened the thread to complain and complain and complain, you refresh the page every 10 seconds, you answer to every guy who tells you you are wrong, you have a problem, dude, admit it!
Go outside!
Play with a ball!
And stop crying!
<DCrying>

The only thing that's sorta weird was how Curtis basically told people he was going to intentionally make it a boring wrestling match and not to watch.. That is what I want to look into right now.

Why alienate fans, try to purposely turn them away and reveal a dull game plan going in? I mean there is different ways to look at it but it seem to do him very much good here.

He's an alright guy, he doesn't really pretend to be someone he isn't I just feel like he's bitter about the state of the division and he's going a certain route to rebel against it, in only a way he knows how to.

Back