Why bellator fights are so boring

Dana will publicly insult you and ultimately cut you if you're a wrestler with a wrestling game plan, unless you're a draw. e.g.: Corey Anderson, Curtis Blaydes, early Usman, Woodley, etc. In the Contender Series he might not even give you a contract if you're a top pro but you LnP.

That sort of selection pressure doesn't exist in Bellator, so the wrestlers can thrive more freely. Also, most divisions are much thinner in talent and worse overall.

Last edited:
the last bellator card was like 90% regional level fighters

They do have a lot of big name fighters who were let go from the UFC for being too boring for the high purse they demanded.

Phil Davis, Yoel Romero, Ryan Bader, Cheick Kongo

Part of it is bias. I notice people tend to be preconditioned to hate on Bellator because of the sentiment on forums like this one and r/MMA. For example in the reddit thread people whined about the pacing over and over again when it literally had the same pacing (1 fight per 30 minutes of broadcast time, if a fight ends quickly they have to fill time) as the UFC card that just ended.

That being said it's not all bias. Part of it is the big, round cage. At 35 feet it's 5 feet bigger then the big UFC cage and 10 feet bigger then the smaller, Apex one. Part of it is the fact their roster is weighted towards less exciting fighters. The reason why that's the case is that UFC builds it's roster around excitement which means the divisions are very striker heavy. Bellator doesn't have this luxury so in order to collect world class talent sometimes they need to look at guys with less exciting styles. It's this reason amongst others I regularly encourage people to re-imagine what being the dominant brand in the space truly means.

I thought the card on Saturday was pretty decent myself, I don't really get why people are saying it sucked tbh. Yoel/Davis had 2 good rounds, Gracie should have been matched tougher but he got an over matched opponent out of there quickly, Bennett/Lara wasn't the highest level but was decent action, Georgi/Rogers had it's moments and Ben Parish had one of the biggest upsets of the year. Not card of the year, but not the worst either.

Yeah it was one of the better ones recently. Parrish Vs Edwards was a really good feel good moment I enjoyed a lot and even Davis Vs Yoel wasn't that bad.

the most exciting fighters in UFC in any weightclass if you matched them up with Phil Davis it would be absoutley horrific and would stink the place out, Davis is unwatchable for me personally, his fights are so bad and he is very happy to hold on for dear life for 29-28 or 48-47 scores, I avoid his fights like the plague
What exactly about his jelly-like plodding and slow motion striking don't you like?

Part of the problem is getting old, past-their-prime UFC fighters who at this point mostly fight defensively. Yoel's last 3 fights in the UFC (all losses) were yawners. All he can do at this point is swing for the fences occasionally and otherwise be boring...and his 44-year old speed and reflexes aren't what they used to be. He's basically late-stage Hendo. Roy Nelson was the same way (even worse) by the time he came to Bellator. Kongo had a lot of success in their weak HW division, but his style is also boring and grappling-based, despite his kickboxing background. Bendo is another fighter who's gotten even more boring as he aged.

Bellator prelims are usually local fighters, right? Bellator generally just stacks the top of the card. I think you are not meant to watch the whole thing.

There aren’t any stakes.

Every UFC fight is absolutely crucial to the fighters involved. Either they are trying to impress to work their way up the ladder, fighting to keep their job, or just trying to get bonus— the fights always have stakes. With Bellator nothing is on line, winning and losing doesnt hold the same weight

Yoel's last 3 fights in the UFC (all losses) were yawners..

His fight with Paulo Costa was one of the best fights of the year, his 2nd fight with Whittaker was one of the best fights of all time.

Bellator prelims are usually local fighters, right? Bellator generally just stacks the top of the card. I think you are not meant to watch the whole thing.

Usually the early prelims are local fighters and then the last 3-4 prelims are guys they have under contract.

Don’t think they are. UFC has had PLENTY of dud fights. Main events that set you back $69.99 too.

I just believe it is a branding issue.
If you were to wear a brand new Armani suit vs. a Canal St Armoni suit.
You would feel different regardless whether they were made exactly the same.

UFC is basically the unofficial name for MMA as was Rollerblade became the name for In-line skates

What did you think was more entertaining? Yoel vs Davis, or Izzy vs Yoel?
If you’re saying Romero is generally very boring and extremely overrated, no matter where he’s fighting. Then I agree.

Why should Izzy have to initiate everything with somebody coming after his belt? If you don’t put it all on the line as the challenger. Then you never deserved the fight to begin with. Which Romero obviously didn’t deserve.

If you’re saying Romero is generally very boring and extremely overrated, no matter where he’s fighting. Then I agree.

Why should Izzy have to initiate everything with somebody coming after his belt? If you don’t put it all on the line as the challenger. Then you never deserved the fight to begin with. Which Romero obviously didn’t deserve.
My point is boring fights/fighters are boring no matter where it happens. The biggest criticism I have of bellator is the prelims are very inexperienced, or tend to be squash matches. Especially for a subscription based service like showtime or espn + I think depth is important

Because Coker is stupid sometimes and signs guys like Danny Sabatello, Islam Mamedov, Rustam Khabilov, Sidney Outlaw, Josh Hill, Valentin Moldavsky, Fabian Edwards and Mike Shipman who are some of the most absurdly boring fighters in the world who routinely stink cards out.
Ya but the TS is complaining about last event, which outside of Adams vs. Khalid fight was entertaining imho and had none of those guys who are indeed bores

My point is boring fights/fighters are boring no matter where it happens. The biggest criticism I have of bellator is the prelims are very inexperienced, or tend to be squash matches. Especially for a subscription based service like showtime or espn + I think depth is important
Right, so why bring up those two Romero fights in particular ?

Which was better Davis/Romero or Costa/Romero?

Unfortunately there are MANY fighters in the UFC that have no business being there. But at least they don’t feature 0-0
fighters all over their prelims. But then the UFC has 40ish cards to fill per year. What is Bellator’s excuse?

Back