Why aren't there wrestling gyms?

MuayThai95632**

White Belt
Reaction score
I feel like wrestlers are so successful in MMA is because they have experience that can only be acquired through high school wrestling, after high school you can't really find any where to get wrestling experience unless you go completely out of your way.

Why can't their be casual wrestling gyms like there are for other combat sports such as boxing, taekwando, muay thai, jiu jitsu, judo, etc??

It's easy for high school/college wrestlers to get striking experience, all they have to do it locate a striking art gym near by.

I think if wrestling was more open to the public it wouldn't be the key to winning MMA fights anymore and people with wrestling bases wouldn't be so hard to defeat.

It's not really fair to be honest, every other art is open to the public but if you want to know wrestling you had to do it in high school/college.

They should open up wrestling gyms around the globe to see what happens to MMA.

Anybody else agree with me?

Because it's hard to sell the general public on wrestling for self-defense, fitness, etc. The only people who would be interested in joining a wrestling-only gym are fighters or wannabes. Unfortunately it's the soccer
moms and hobbyists who keep the doors open, not the fighters.

At least with judo or BJJ there are competitions with divisions based on age and experience. How many local wrestling tourneys are there for 30 year old beginners to take part in?

Also, Galt?

I understand what you're saying, and I think the lack of wrestling gyms comes mainly from the lack of popularity outside of scholastic and Olympic events until it was seen to be so beneficial to MMA competition. As a result of its popularity outside of school being so tied to MMA instead of having wrestling gyms you see MMA gyms some of which will have strong wrestling programs.

Because wrestling is hard and people don't pay for things that are exceedingly hard

Cross fit is hard and is very popular

They scale the shit out of crossfit. For every person doing it rX balls to the wall, there's a dozen chubbies chatting about paleo between reps.

They scale the shit out of crossfit. For every person doing it rX balls to the wall, there's a dozen chubbies chatting about paleo between reps.
You can train wrestling without going NCAA balls-to-the-wall-Dan-Gable speed as well, it's just that Americans don't tend to.

If a wrestling gym opened up in my city or within an hour from where I live I would join in a flash..

It's not really fair that every other art if easily accessible to the public except for wrestling.

If a wrestling gym opened up in my city or within an hour from where I live I would join in a flash..

It's not really fair that every other art if easily accessible to the public except for wrestling.

I guess it's time to take a second mortgage on the house and start a gym. If its a great idea you can, work your butt off, risk it all, and hope you are right. Big risk = big reward. Welcome to capitalism.

I guess it's time to take a second mortgage on the house and start a gym. If its a great idea you can, work your butt off, risk it all, and hope you are right. Big risk = big reward. Welcome to capitalism.

Maybe start by offering seminars and when u find a location that constantly sells out your seminar then open a school

Lower risk if u get an idea of the demand

Not sure if they have enough demand to make a class/club self sustainable.

also, you do not have the carrot (ie belt system) to keep people interested long enough.

no competition for adult could be a disadvantages. It does get old after a while just sparring with team mates.

I would like to be able to host a weekly wrestling class at my club but I would not be able to find an instructor interested to teach.

Maybe start by offering seminars and when u find a location that constantly sells out your seminar then open a school

Lower risk if u get an idea of the demand

That's way to sensible ;)

Because wrestling is hard
That's by choice though. You could run a wrestling class with a more laid back pace, just like you could run a BJJ class like a traditional wrestling practice.

Because wrestling is hard and people don't pay for things that are exceedingly hard

truth. I begged my mom to get me in wrestling when I was like 8, but the school didn't allow it until 5th grade. So eventually we found a guy that was teaching wrestling and opened up a school partnering with a dance studio or something. I was his only student.

We have a wrestling program here at my gym too, and in Mississippi there is no high school wrestling so you think it would be popular, but it's still really small.

Last edited:
Kids think it's "gay" because of the singlets. I almost did wrestling in high school but decided not to because of singlets, cutting weight, and cauliflower ear. *sigh*

I am actually a bit curious considering the explosion of successful wrestlers in MMA. Why dont ex wrestlers form gyms?

I mean I have seen jiu jitsu blue belts try to open up schools. I would be interested to have learned wrestler younger from a 3rd place NCAA guy or even a 10th place NCAA.

I say wrestling jump on the MMA bandwagon and use it to open up wrestling gyms for kids and adults. Maybe if wrestling markets itself the way other martial arts market themselves it will create more for a presence for the sport.

That's by choice though. You could run a wrestling class with a more laid back pace, just like you could run a BJJ class like a traditional wrestling practice.

I don't really agree. Just mechanically speaking, wrestling is hard. Level changes and explosions of energy are much more prevalent. The way you would make BJJ harder, is by adding wrestling lol.

As for whether a school would be successful, I doubt it. There's three schools in my town that offer wrestling, and wrestling is the smallest class in all three of them. Our wrestling class stayed at 3-10 people if there was a 3x NCAA wrestler teaching it or a high school wrestler. In fact, the class at my school didn't hit double digits till it was opened up to kids and now its all kids with maybe two adults.

I do know of a Wrestling gym though, its called Kingdom Klub and it operates in Utah, but it caters almost exclusively to kids. There's only like two adult wrestling classes.

I don't really agree. Just mechanically speaking, wrestling is hard. Level changes and explosions of energy are much more prevalent. The way you would make BJJ harder, is by adding wrestling lol.

Transitioning from wrestling to bjj I have to say I agree with this. Wrestling moves are meant to be explosive and it's one of the habits I have been working hardest to break. While being explosive sometimes helps in bjj it often just tires you out.

Not to mention it takes way less energy to tie someone up by holding onto a gi then trying to keep them tied up with a clinch

Back