Why are wrestlers so effective in MMA?

A fucking Cage dumb-arse!

source.gif

Where does wrestling end and BJJ begin? Isn't wrestling simply stalling the fight?
LOL @ wrestlers

Wrestling begins when you can actually take opponents down, can keep from being taken down, can get off your back if you want to, can effectively grapple while standing, and can win an MMA fight in 2020 with that being your base discipline.

There's a lot more to it than that, but those are some key things to look for.

Chael Sonnen made a great point in one of his vids where he explained that pure wrestling is not effective but Greco-Roman guys who were considered B Tier compared to the collegiate system were dominating in MMA because of the standing posture implemented by GR wrestlers.

Where does wrestling end and BJJ begin? Isn't wrestling simply stalling the fight?
LOL @ wrestlers
I guess you don't wrestle. Slams are about the deadliest moves going, on a hard surface. Even on a padded mat they can still result in knockouts. Lol at idiots that can't wrestle then cry when they get mauled in an mma contest. (I am a boxer first and foremost)

Last edited:
I guess you don't wrestle. Slams are about the deadliest moves going, on a hard surface. Even on a padded mat they can still result in knockouts. Lol at idiots that can't wrestle them cry when they get mauled in an mma contest. (I am a boxer first and foremost)
slams on octagon canvas are soft though aren't they
I'd mek a great wrestler. It boggles my head how sprawling is a BFD to many people. TDD is not very complicated I dun think but people always discuss fighters' TDD on tens of thread pages and you can call mad but I feel like it is done pointlessly.
The only major slam of the last decade happened in WMMA when Rose got KOed but that was the definition of perfect storm and that's it.

Because the current iteration of the unified rules doesn't penalise stalling. There's nothing more to it than that.

slams on octagon canvas are soft though aren't they
I'd mek a great wrestler. It boggles my head how sprawling is a BFD to many people. TDD is not very complicated I dun think but people always discuss fighters' TDD on tens of thread pages and you can call mad but I feel like it is done pointlessly.
The only major slam of the last decade happened in WMMA when Rose got KOed but that was the definition of perfect storm and that's it.
Have you done any combat sport? If counter wrestling is so basic name three defensive wrestling moves that aren't the sprawl.

Why are wrestlers so effective in MMA?

Sometimes I feel like boxing and wrestling is enough for MMA. Top UFC guys have wrestling background and know striking (i.e., Daniel Cormier, Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones (uses kick boxing too), Khabib, GSP, Chris Weidman). Even Brock Lesnar, who fast tracked into UFC was because of his wrestling background. Fighters who relied on BJJ are Fedor, Werdum and Jose Aldo. Is wrestling the best art to have then?
Downward elbows to the head and neck are banned. Massive help to wrestlers.

What is with these new age morons with zero understanding of fighting? Boxing is just throwing hands with pillows, kickboxing is just boxing with kicks, wrestling is just muscles and cuddling, and bjj is just rolling around in pyjamas. Sounds like a lot of stupid conor fans crying about his shit wrestling ability.

Have you done any combat sport? If counter wrestling is so basic name three defensive wrestling moves that aren't the sprawl.
I ain't really meant it like that. But to be fair I am not that well versed in wrestling... maybe I should develop that way. But I feel like I am equally safe both in competition (not a wrestler) and on the streets anyway with my boxing and JJ AND sprawl/power double/single/ankle pickz

Everybody trains striking.
Everybody trains BJJ.
Some people don't train wrestling.

In fighting you attack what is weak.

Therefore those that do not train wrestling can have a harder time climbing up the ladder.

Folkstyle wrestling will continue to dominate mma. It’s the best base for several reasons. Effective and useful takedowns. Keeping your opponent on the mat. Escaping when you are taken down.

Add to the fact that they’re mentally tough, well conditioned and generally good athletes, it’s why you see them rule this sport.

Back