Why are we getting Covington vs Lawler again?

Not the biggest fan of Colby and his closeted homosexual antics, but I think this is Dana just holding a grudge.

Seems like they pretty much forced Colby to take the fight, who knows what's going on.

They did not force him to take this fight. Just like they did not force him to take the Woodley fight when he ducked out of that one. The UFC can not force fighters to take fights. Saying 'No' to a fight is one of the very few rights a fighter has.

However, when you say no to fights, sometimes bad shit happens. He said no to the Woodley fight in in September 2018, so he got stripped of his fabricated BS interim belt, and Till got the shot. Meanwhile Usman beats RDA and Maia more convincingly than he did, and leapfrogs him. Usman beats Woodley and immediately opts for surgery. So Colby is fucked.

He is taking the fight with Lawler because he needs to fight. He knows now that not fighting could lead to him getting passed over again. Masvidal or Edwards could easily end up with the shot ahead of him. Edwards has a longer winning streak and has fought just as many elite guys.

Colby also needs money. He made decent money in the interim fight vs RDA, (380K or so) but before that he had never even seen 100K a fight including bonuses and Reebok change.

He should have learned from Woodley. After eeking out a split decision over Gastelum, Woodley decided to wait for a TS. He waited 19 months as Rory and Condit both got shots ahead of him, even though he had already beaten Condit less than a year earlier.

Colby fighting Robbie and if Masvidal jumps in front and gets the title shot (which he doesn't deserve) is Dana's way of saying......Don't turn down title shots and never ever walk up on me with a camera when i'm gambling with my "friend",...........ever!

Lawler coming off two consecutive losses to a guy in his first UFC fight and another guy Colby beat in his last fight. Colby won the interim belt in his last fight and is on a six fight win streak. Is there an underlying story here? Im not complaining im just wondering as the UFC usually matches up guys coming off of wins and losses together...
The UFC wants to punish Colby I guess.

Also, Usman is probably still hurt. Like most champions these days, the second they win the belt, they take time off and get a bunch of surgery. Simply holding the belt will pay the bills for them, so it makes sense to rest and get healthy.

I'm not really a fan of champions doing this inactivity thing when they win the belt. The belt should be defended every 6 months. If you can't defend it or schedule a fight in that time, you're stripped.

Colby fighting Robbie and if Masvidal jumps in front and gets the title shot (which he doesn't deserve) is Dana's way of saying......Don't turn down title shots and never ever walk up on me with a camera when i'm gambling with my "friend",...........ever!

dont mess with dana. reminds me of this song (i fought the law... and the law won)-

Lawler coming off two consecutive losses to a guy in his first UFC fight and another guy Colby beat in his last fight. Colby won the interim belt in his last fight and is on a six fight win streak. Is there an underlying story here? Im not complaining im just wondering as the UFC usually matches up guys coming off of wins and losses together...

it cause colby is ducking usman.

seems to be punishment

Colby tried to play the game, ended looking like he stalled unification fight, plus he repeatedly crossed the line (not in a good way)

He's got to fight someone, can't just sit out forever and hope for a TS. It works sometimes, but it shouldn't and I'm glad it didn't.
Hope Robbie starches him.

Colby could sit and wait for a title opportunity, but more and more welterweights are making a claim to the title. Tyron has 5 title defenses and would likely be only 1 or 2 big wins from a Usman rematch, Masvidal is catching fire, Edwards is on a win streak and has a score to settle with both Masvidal and Usman.

If you stay inactive in the fight game you can't complain when your opportunities slip away. Stipe got lucky, Colby won't. Fighting Lawler keeps him in the conversation and maintains his claim to the next crack at the title. It isn't rocket science.

The reason they didn't pick a potential contender like Jorge for this fight is that they wanna save him for later. If he'd lose to Colby, Colby would still be #1 but they just wasted one of the few other viable contenders.

They can afford to give Robbie a loss though without ruining the contender rankings.

They don't want Colby to sit around inactive and waiting for a title shot.
He might as well fight someone, just anyone.

Last edited:
When is tryone woodley going to get another fight. who is Usman fighting.
im sorry I just dont get excited for 3rd 4th contenders not unless its there first time there.

Fairweather, casual, or both?
Let's face it the difference between 4th and number one contender is usually extremely minute, to the point that the 4th ranked Contender will probably have on average about a 40% chance of beating the number one contender in a fight. Sure, sometimes less, but sometimes they'd be the favorite.

Last edited:
If we talk about WW nobody had a chance of beating Woodley. they could have fought 100 times and besides questionable draws woodley would win every time. It was Kumar fighting his way to the top for the first time that stood a chance. the gap between champ and #3 is fucking bigger than you think buddy. Most champions have a number two that stands like yoel with Whittaker. I'm more interested in an unknown number 8 than I am a number 3 thats been in the same spot for years. especially if you've lost to the champ b4 and he's learned your style.

I heard Colby telling Ariel that Lawler quit the camp because they put up a poster of Woodley or something in the gym. Colby said he was pissed cause Lawler was priviledged and got all the coaches and sparring partners and colby.helped spar alot etc then he up and "turned his back" on everyone so Colby wants to leave him "in a pool of his own blood".

That's an underlying story you asked for, TS.

Back