Why are UFC ppv cards so weak now and what can they do to fix them? (Longer read)

Have 6-7 PPVs and 7-8 TV events per year.
Have "house shows" on Fight Pass that showcase up and comers and new international fighters.
Break off from USADA and do their own drug testing.
Attempt to buy out the Reebok contract and allow individual sponsors back.
Shrink the octagon to WEC size to encourage fighters to engage.
Drop the men's bantam and flyweight divisions. The fighters in those divisions must fight as featherweights or be cut. It is harsh but necessary.
Uncap the heavyweight division, or at least raise the weight limit to 285.
Have 3 women's divisions at 105, 125, and 140 lbs.
Keep all but the highest interest WMMA fights on prelims and ESPN.
Focus their main recruiting efforts on divisions middleweight and above.
Have weight ins on the same day as the fights.
End TUF.
No more interim titles. If a champion is inactive for more than 5 months they should forfeit the title and get an immediate shot upon return. If they are out for more than 15 months they should need a win or two to get back in contention.

Thanks for that. This is useful information. Then that begs the question why even have pay per views at all? Just for the potential to sell more and make more than a standard televised card would make? If that's the case then they need to stack them still, because they're not getting over that 250k mark too often. If they bolstered the televised cards then it could raise ratings and make their brand worth more. Then maybe just do occasional pay per views for the massive fights that would be guaranteed to make more?

Because the bigger PPV's can make insane money
A 1m buy PPV = $40m roughly

Now the Q isn't "why have PPV?", but "why have so many".
Rumor has it that they are contracted with traditional PPV providers through 2019 for 12 a year.
IMO a good number is 8

But even a 150k PPV brings in $6m

When fighters are fighting 4X per year, there is no need to water down the cards.

Unfortunately, the more savings a fighter accumulates, the more responsible management team he/she can afford...the less often they will fight, and the more likely it is they will pull out.

The solution is less fighter pay so fighters have no choice but to fight.

I guarantee you if Brian Ortega was fighting paycheck to paycheck, at risk of getting kicked out of his studio apartment, he would have fought Brock Lesnar on 30 seconds notice.

Top fighters only fight once or twice a year now.

If the UFC wanted to give the right message:

They shouldn't let them cut that much weight so they need 2 months of starving before the fight + the weight cut

They wouldn't stop promoting fighters right after they get a lost. If the fighers didn't think that every lost could be career ending, chance of getting cut, chance of being sent back to the prelims or to become a no name... Maybe they would stop picking fights knowing that the company as their back and they have a right to lose and take risks. This is not boxing, it's MMA, fighter A can lose to fighter B one day and win by ko or a crazy submission the next day.

One of the few guys who's not afraid to take a lot of fights is Cerrone, If you look at his record there's nothing impressive but the guy is a fan favorite and he must have way more money than most of the UFC fighters that are waiting for a title shot.

The UFC should put the focus on fighters being very active, not only on championship fights, send the message that if you're always ready to fight, that you can get your weight down and do a camp within 2 months notice you're gonna have a great career.

I think @FrankieNYC stated they are contractually obligated to a certain # of cards on PPV. This is likely true of their TV deals as well. And if I recall rightly we are actually getting more cards with the ESPN deal.

So don't go expecting less content anytime soon.

Edit - Might be obligated to X # of events - we have no proof.

Last edited:
Because the bigger PPV's can make insane money
A 1m buy PPV = $40m roughly

Now the Q isn't "why have PPV?", but "why have so many".
Rumor has it that they are contracted with traditional PPV providers through 2019 for 12 a year.
IMO a good number is 8

But even a 150k PPV brings in $6m

This is what I was trying to say. If their t.v. deal is making more than many of the pay per views, then they should scale back the amount of ppvs, and stack the tv cards more to raise the ratings thereby their value in the future. And also with less ppvs means you can stack them more because you're not trying to fill out so many with sellable fights.

It's straight-up Number 1.
They don't have the roster to cover 12 UFC per year.
But they ain't going to let that stop them

Some of yall complain, but I want MMA every week, idgaf, give me a fun headliner and have some fun scraps on every card. Have a big card every month and im happy.

Its why I watch Fight Pass cards like Cage Warriors, Invicta as well as the likes of Bellator and PFL. Sure I don't remember fighters or fights as well as back in he day but...

<{JustBleed}>

I think @FrankieNYC stated they are contractually obligated to a certain # of cards on PPV. This is likely true of their TV deals as well. And if I recall rightly we are actually getting more cards with the ESPN deal.

So don't go expecting less content anytime soon.

Hey man
That is not a definite
But the only logical reason I heard why they will still do 12 in 2019.

This is what I was trying to say. If their t.v. deal is making more than many of the pay per views, then they should scale back the amount of ppvs, and stack the tv cards more to raise the ratings thereby their value in the future. And also with less ppvs means you can stack them more because you're not trying to fill out so many with sellable fights.

Most expected 8-9 in 2019
That is why the idea they might be contracted for 12 makes sense.

UFC made longterm deals with traditional PPV providers so they can lock in better dates in advance & get a higher % from the providers.
most assumed it was timed to the fox deal, but maybe it wasn't with some providers.
Either that or they wanted to see what 12 can do with ESPN hyping them.

Hey man
That is not a definite
But the only logical reason I heard why they will still do 12 in 2019.

Ok I hear you, prolly should have just looked yer post up since it was yesterday.

I'll add an edit!

Ok I hear you, prolly should have just looked yer post up since it was yesterday.

I'll add an edit!

All good
Its easy to read it & remember it differently
I didn't mind correcting it

but like i said it makes sense.

But the ESPN is certainly contracted for X amount

With USADA you can't force fighters to fight 3-4 times per year, they won't be able to recover between fights.
Also weight cuts were easier without USADA, because of IV for example.
No USADA, more fights.

With USADA you can't force fighters to fight 3-4 times per year, they won't be able to recover between fights.
No USADA, more fights.

No USADA, more fights.

Interesting reply & might be correct
Curious what a fighter thinks
@AJ Garcia

Also the lack of merging talent from Pride/WEC/Strikeforce purchases.

The real qeustion is why are they 65 damn near 70 dollars

Am i alone here ppvs are expensive for no reason at all...

Unless youre throwing ufc parties or get togethers me i like to watch at home alone most times went to go buy ufc 228 and just contemplated it almost 70 bucks for 2 fights id watch fuck it ill just get dressed and watch at the bar fuckin rediculas.

I wish we had a card every weekend. I see why fans want fewer PPVs, but I can't for the life of me understand why an MMA fan would want fewer free cards.

I wish we had fewer WMMA fights. Only the very best women should be on main cards, most of them still aren't very good. Basically only champs and top five fighters imo.

Back