Why are UFC Flyweights Disrespected?

Murray is 3-3 as a pro after a 7-8 ammy record. He has a loss to a 145 lber, which of course isn’t unusual. He’d get absolutely wrecked by figueiredo.
Why? Because Figueiredo won convincingly against other 138-pounders? You're not providing any reasoning. What would Figeuiredo wreck him with? Strikes? Unlikely. Wrestling? Unlikely. Jiu Jitsu? Jiu jitsu is all about body control, you need to get a fighter to a certain position to execute certain submissions. So again, unlikely.

He lost to a current featherweight. When the two fought, they fought at lightweight. Amateur fights are slightly different because fighters rarely cut much for fights. They probably were both around 160-165 walking into the ring. He felt like he needed to get bigger, the other guy did not, so he moved up a class after amateurs (very normal), the other guy did not.

Because most fans/Sherdoggers can't deal with the fact that a guy much smaller can easily kick their ass

Some people are uncomfortable with the idea that a tiny little dude could destroy them in a fight.
That's ridiculous.

I will speak for myself. The reason I don't like watching flyweights fight is because most of them lack power. A big factor in what makes a fight exciting for me are strikes that deal actual damage. The adrenaline of seeing someone get wobbled or knocked down. Seeing KOs.

Flyweights usually don't deal a lot of damage. They are just fast.

I can't even count how many times i've seen a flyweight fight end in a TKO where the fighter wasn't even hurt. The fight was stopped because the opponent stringed his punches so fast one after the other that the fighter just didn't have enough time to respond. But you can see there is no actual power behind those shots. It's like hitting a speed bag.

Last edited:
I respect the smaller divisions. Something about seeing two men the size of my 12 year old son duke it out admittedly makes me chuckle and isnt quite as interesting. A scrap is a scrap though. Even if it were special people mma count me in

Honestly worldwide Flyweight is probably one of the best divisions. Loads of promotions have good flyweight divisions. The flyweight division in ACA is great.

That's ridiculous.

I will speak for myself. The reason I don't like watching flyweights fight is because most of them lack power. A big factor in what makes a fight exciting for me are strikes that deal actual damage. The adrenaline of seeing someone get wobbled or knocked down. Seeing KOs.

Flyweights usually don't deal a lot of damage. They are just fast.

I can't even count how many times i've seen a flyweight fight end in a TKO where the fighter wasn't even hurt. The fight was stopped because the opponent stringed his punches so fast one after the other that the fighter just didn't have enough time to respond. But you can see there is no actual power behind those shots. It's like hitting a speed bag.

Not always true.

ezgifcom-gif-maker-14-16018694159511382564869-73-0-448-600-crop-16018694289751438226808.gif

Not always true.

ezgifcom-gif-maker-14-16018694159511382564869-73-0-448-600-crop-16018694289751438226808.gif
You're being obtuse Kevin. Of course the division has KO's and spectacular moments. Just significantly less. Its no revelation that tiny guys tend to rely on speed more than power. There are exceptions but let's not get crazy.

You're being obtuse Kevin. Of course the division has KO's and spectacular moments. Just significantly less. Its no revelation that tiny guys tend to rely on speed more than power. There are exceptions but let's not get crazy.

No, it's a fair criticism. It's the polar opposite of HW really. HW has strength and power, FLW has speed and technique.

No, it's a fair criticism. It's the polar opposite of HW really. HW has strength and power, FLW has speed and technique.
And every other division has a mixture. However most people watch mma and favor displays of power over displays of technique unless said technique results in devastation. This is fact and will never change.

Hespect to flyweights. I don’t like Figureido but I appreciate him infusing new energy into the title picture.

Why? Because Figueiredo won convincingly against other 138-pounders? You're not providing any reasoning. What would Figeuiredo wreck him with? Strikes? Unlikely. Wrestling? Unlikely. Jiu Jitsu? Jiu jitsu is all about body control, you need to get a fighter to a certain position to execute certain submissions. So again, unlikely.

He lost to a current featherweight. When the two fought, they fought at lightweight. Amateur fights are slightly different because fighters rarely cut much for fights. They probably were both around 160-165 walking into the ring. He felt like he needed to get bigger, the other guy did not, so he moved up a class after amateurs (very normal), the other guy did not.
He would wreck him wherever he wanted. He’s just a far superior fighter.

DJ was robbed against Triple C. And still the undisputed goat of MMA, Demetrius Mighty Mouse Johnson. Popularity is a huge factor in determining who the goat is or can be. What DJ did was fucking impressive. He would still be fucking champ if not for the robbery. Guys like Khabib being considered the goat is #1 bullshit when Mighty Mouse is an afterthought.

Ok...I mean you're just clinging to your dogma at this point so I won't stop you from doing so...
The fw champ became bw champ. It’s just weird to think that another 20 lbs somehow wipes out any advantage against a jobber. Bj was able to hold his own with an elite fighter much larger than him. Edgar was a natural 135er who was champ at ‘55.

No disrespect but it looks a bit funny when flyweights fight. It's hard to describe but the physics doesn't look like they should when grown men are fighting. It somehow starts somewhere at Bantamweight and really at Featherweight where you see a heavy punch landing and you think "oooh shit i don't wanna be hit by that". And I think it's also a talent pool thing. It's a statisical normal-distribution around lightweight. At the extreme ends (Heavyweight and flyweight) it gets thinner.

Back