Why are there still Gi bjj/judo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freaky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's the point of it other than sport fighting? Even in sport competition they should change it to no-gi. Because it's outdated. The reason for the Gi is because it resembles to the attired of the generation (kimono). Everyone wore a kimono/gi back in the days of Japan. But nobody wears that anymore and so training in a GI is pointless. I think we need to adapt and improve the art instead of living in the past. Judo came to be when Kano change Jiu Jitsu and BJJ came to be when the Brazilians altered Judo and same with Sambo. At least change the Gi design to something more modern like a U-neck or V-neck style.

All martial arts get altered as times/need changes. So I don't understand why bjj and other grappling arts still use the Gi. I remember reading somewhere that Gracies and other Gi bjj used to laugh at Tudo Vale practitioner for their lack of Gi. And back then the Tudo Vale practitioners would actually out grapple some of the Gracies. They won more than lost. Gracie's are incorporating no-gi now but majority are still Gi bjj. Only gym I know is 10th planet who does solely no-gi. Why aren't there more of these?

Imo the moment these practitioners left Japan they should have gotten rid of Gi too. And the moment when Kimono went out of style, so should the Gi. Thoughts? I would like a u-neck Gi that matches more modern outfit.

What really baffles me is how dearly practitioners think of the Gi even today.

Oh, this is a fresh and unique topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back