Why are there so many people at the gym with big bellies?

formerly ripped guys get fat and wanna get ripped again

I'm happy when i'm fit. I'm absolutely miserable when I have an injury and can't workout.
I feel you. I'm not a fucking mammoth or something like that. I made friends with redline mma and worked out with them for years. Then I body-built for years. Now I ride my bike and run occasionally but I drink beer and eat what I want. I don't plan on ever going to a gym again.

I briefly had a gym membership at a high end gym. I only could afford it as where I was under 18, the child memberships was considerably cheaper than adult ones.
Id see the same thing each time, middle age men with giant beer bellies stroll up. No warm up, no cardio, just start lifting heavy weights with no idea what they were doing.
Is Planet Fitness really that high-end, though?

Simple, because everyone can exercise but most people can't eat properly.

Fact. Too many people enjoy junk food which is why they exercise to even things out.

Which to me is a sign of laziness and lack of commitment.

Uncommitted to looking ripped perhaps. But you can't call them lazy just because they have different priorities from you.

I'm alot better at doing things (working out) than I am at not doing things (eating right).

I presume that is fairly standard.

It's pretty easy to have a 6 pack with no kids and a 9-5 job.

When I hit my late 20s and early 30s I could not eat the same as I used to and keep a trim waist line.

I workout but I like beer, so I have a belly. I think a lot of dudes are in the same boat.

Laziness / greediness.

There is quite a difference between not being lean, and having a huge gut. They just eat more than they burn and probably use the gym as en excuse to pig out.

You gotta eat to progress at the fastest possible rate, this means a calorific surplus and that leads to having some gut.

It takes only a little shitty food to lose abs in your 30's, forget drinking beer.

Personally (and I don't have a gut but no abs) I want to be strong as I can be and I enjoy eating good and drinking beer.

<3>

in all my years going to a gym, I've never had the urge to walk over to a fat guy and slap the back of his head, because he's fat.....now these fuckers that lift up their shirts to look at their abs in the mirror...……. {<hhh]

I’d say at least 90% of guys at the gym have a belly, even the ones that look ripped from the waste up. Huge arms, pecs and shoulders yet all that hard work is offset by their fat stomachs. I know abs are hard to build and maintain because diet is a factor, but I’d rather be lean and ripped like Ryan Reynolds than be bulky like The Rock with a belly looking like you’re pregnant. Do guys not care about abs? I’m not even talking about a six pack, just having a flat stomach.

Only God can judge your Gains, TS. And he's not impressed with your performance.

image (1).png

I’d say at least 90% of guys at the gym have a belly, even the ones that look ripped from the waste up. Huge arms, pecs and shoulders yet all that hard work is offset by their fat stomachs. I know abs are hard to build and maintain because diet is a factor, but I’d rather be lean and ripped like Ryan Reynolds than be bulky like The Rock with a belly looking like you’re pregnant. Do guys not care about abs? I’m not even talking about a six pack, just having a flat stomach.

Is that you Arnold?

Who else gets a kick out of these threads pretending to ask a question but really just trying to brag and make themselves feel like they’re better than others? How insecure do you have to be that you’re trolling for admiration from people you don’t know? Sad.

Dudes eat 2-3 huge meals a day stretches the stomach out, small meals spread out through the day is way to go.

The older you get the less you give a shit about a belly.
This....

Plus, the older they get, the less women give a shit about guys having washboard abs too. I flat out said on my old dating profile that "I like food to much to ever have a six pack" and I was still inundated with messages daily. I was been told by multiple women that they prefer a muscular frame with a soft belly than the chiseled look.

They basically all say variations of the same thing. Muscular enough to be considered manly, but soft enough to cuddle with.

99% of people would prefer to look like Ryan Reynolds.
Do those guys at your gym lift heavy? It's difficult to do heavy lifts while on low-carb diet.

Back