Why are the French so rude?

I have been to Paris and to rural areas, they were even more cunty out in the country side.

They speak English just fine, but they choose not to. That tells you all you need to know about them.
When the Brexit vote happened there were grumblings that the French were going to attempt to eliminate English as an official EU language. Seems they're not wasting time. Or were just really ahead of the game going back as far as I can remember.

Germans can be assholes as well

Friend was there and said they dont speak english on purpose
they can. tbf they don't speak well english, so most choose not to embarrass themselves

I can remember when i worked for a German firm, the Germans there would complain often about how difficult and rude the French were. Us Americans didn't work with many French people. Our complaints were with how difficult the Germans could be. If the French were worse, couldn't imagine dealing with them.

I reckon they fear you have plans to invade them. They are trying to figure out if you have a friend with you or not. I'd your alone they intend to fight back but if you brought your buddy steve they are prepared for a complete surrender.

You probably live in some hick small town in US, but let me help you

- Paris is full of assholes, its not indicative of your average french person, people in smaller towns and country are much nicer. Around ALPs they are great, but Paris is a shit hole.

- Americans greet way too much for most people who are from big cities, its fucking annoying, for instance I´m on a hotel and on the way to the elevator people will just say some bullshit about the weather and ask how is my day, fuck that. If you want to be nice just say Good Morning and move on fucker

- Nobody is obliged to speak english, learn a couple of phrases in french to break the ice and start talking english

Well I'm not a "yank". I'm from the Netherlands and in most countries I've visited people just say hello back like a normal person with manners. Where are you from?

Where from NL?

I'm in Scandinavia. Just to clarify: if you said hello to people in the street here, they might answer you out of politeness - but they wouldn't be used to it and many would probably consider it weird.
Nowadays (post smartphones and rampant immigration) it's like that.

Wasn't always like that though. As someone old enough to have experienced a different Denmark i can assure you we used to be friendly, easygoing, welcoming and chatty (well, more chatty) in public too, people did greet one another in public, strike up conversations on busses and trains, while cuing at the post office etc.

Nowadays, with everyone lost in their own little smartphone, social connectivity, spontaneity, etiquette and friendliness, situational awareness and 'atmosphere' is all but dead in our little country. Same as many other places, of course.

I think it might be an urban/rural thing. I live in a small town here in the UK and while it's not always done, you do often get people smiling or saying 'good morning' to strangers in the street. You'd very rarely see it in larger towns or cities though.

I don't personally do it, but if a stranger greeted me I'd always acknowledge them back.

Yeah everyone said good morning in the village where I grew up.

I live in Leeds now but if I go walking down the canal away from the city towards the next town I'd say more often than not people give you a greeting.

For a Western European country, people from France generally have a low level of French. Older people a from East Germany, and Italians are usually the worst English speakers.

I wouldn't assume they all know English and are simply but speaking it out of spite.

Also, you're in Paris, where they're all known for being snobbish cunts. Their #1 national sport is complaining. You shouldn't be surprised about this.

I spent a week in France between Nice and Paris with very limited French and found the people to be nice, and more helpful than I would expect in American cities. I essentially learned how to say hello, tell them I don't speak much French, and ask them if they spoke English. The vast majority of the time even if they didn't speak English they would flag down someone who did who would get me the help I needed. As with most places, if you take the time to learn a bit about their social norms the people will be much more friendly.

The reason they don't give a damn about English is because of their language is superior,

French is the lingua franca of the aristocrats.

I've heard this from many people but I've found that for the most part everyone I spoke to in France was pleasant enough. Not noticably better or worse than anywhere else.

The surrendered their manners just like they surrendered their borders

gottemx2

It depends. Where are you at?

As far as I know Parisiens are super rude. People in the southwest (Montpellier and around) are way nicer.
It gets a little colder in the southeast (around Nice)
And In the north people is supposedly nice too.

I have a lot of french friends here (have been studying their lenguage with natives who come here for 1 year, and I'm actually going there for 12 months in april). They are all super cool but they all tell me that what the love from Argentina is that we are super social and open. Is the thing they miss the most when they come back there. Specially the ones living in Paris

Childs Play!

Try dealing with the Quebec French.

This Summer i did with my GF a 20 days travel around France (17 different places) and i must say It positively surprised me how polite they has been

We did central, west, north-west and north car road trip

Paris people tend to be the stereotype punchable french everybody think about, rest of France we visited got very very nice people

also lol at paris

fetIRXl.jpg

I was watching a video where this old P-47 pilot from WWII was talking about being in France. He said only Parisians are rude, and that they don’t even like other French people if they aren’t from Paris. But that the rest of France is fine.

Second.. people don't say anything back when you greet them on the street. I was smoking a cigarette and enjoying my morning coffee in front of the bed&breakfast and nobody greeted back. I greeted them in French offcourse. Fucking rude.
View attachment 719895

Why would you greet random strangers in the streets... of a foreign country... when you don’t even speak the language... while smoking and drinking coffee?

All I can imagine is some weirdo yelling out “Bonjour” to every person that walked by.

Back