Why are the boxing and ufc hw divisions about equally stale?

mrsinister

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
As measured by turnover at the top 10.

Looking at the top 10 (Champ+1 through 9) annual HW's from Ring magazine over the last 5 years, there have only been 16 top 10 boxing HW's for 2009-2013. For MMA, Sherdog's December rankings for 2009 through 2013 have a total of 17 distinct names, about the same. (I didn't see any truly apples-to-apples annual mma rankings, but the results seems right).

Since there's way more money at the top in HW boxing, why hasn't there been more competition as well? iI seems like the divisions everyone agrees are more competitive have a lot more turnover.

Maybe it's just really, really hard to get guys to fight big guys--even if they themselves are big--because fighting big guys is just plain terrifying for everyone.

A level athletes blablabla UFC pay

American football and basketball possibly.

cuz you're not a Cain Velasquez fan

I think it is mainly due to the fact that Football and other team sports that require that size and physique are more attractive to them. Chances are they would get paid more, they are involved in a team sport so not as much individual pressure, and hell they aren't fighting for a living. I think most guys would rather try playing in the NFL or something if they are considered A level athletes.

Thats just my theory on it.

blah blah a level athlete murican football basketball fighter pay because people pick their sports when they are adults and they will only pick american sports blah blah blah.

Why is the sky blue?

rayleigh scatter effect. blue wave lengths are shorter..

The strong wavelength dependence of the scattering (~λ−4) means that shorter (blue) wavelengths are scattered more strongly than longer (red) wavelengths. This results in the indirect blue light coming from all regions of the sky.

because some people want more money

its not that hard to figure out

fighting is tough. and it ain't easy to be big and a good fighter. thinking about the average weights of healthy atheletes being between 170 and 210 , well yea..

rayleigh scatter effect. blue wave lengths are shorter..

The strong wavelength dependence of the scattering (~λ−4) means that shorter (blue) wavelengths are scattered more strongly than longer (red) wavelengths. This results in the indirect blue light coming from all regions of the sky.

Actually it's to do with the way light passes through ozone in the atmosphere but anyways I was actually looking for an answer.

Because the best athletes of that size in America are playing footbal and basketball.

Because the best athletes of that size in America are playing footbal and basketball.

Sums it up. Combat sports simply can't provide the financial incentive, either from direct prizes, or from sponsorship and marketing deals. Those that do combat sports either really love it, or simply couldn't make it in a more "mainstream" sports.

Sure, a few of the elite can make it through, but the vast majority? No.

HW division in both sports are shallow because most people don't want to be punched in the face for a living.

I think it's football. If you're a big kid in high school/grammar school, you get pushed hard to do football. No one tells the 300 lb kid to do swimming, basketball, baseball. They're always pushed toward football. The smaller kids have options.

HW division in both sports are shallow because most people don't want to be punched in the face for a living.

In what way is this specifically related to the HW division?

Yet they do football, or hell, Pro Wrestling. Not exactly easy on the body, either.

People are more than willing to get punched, kicked, kneed, elbowed, thrown around and generally have the shit beat out of them if there's enough money involved.

Boxing has a legit champ that will go down as a top ten ATG HW.

UFC just has no depth. They have like 2 guys who are even worth talking about.

Arreola vs Stiverne for the vacant WBC belt is on ESPN next. Give it a watch.

Back