Why are some of you so confident in Maia against Askren?

its a weird match up. it dosnt matter if maia is better on the mat. all ben has to do is not get tapped out and try to stay on top. see jake shields vs maia

I do think maia is better. but mma judges don't give a fuck about bottom position or sub attempts if the guy gets out and stays on top.

I get it, Ben lost so he's pretty much the biggest joke in the WW division because of it, but do you guys really believe that Demian won't gas himself out if the fight stays on the feet for too long? I mean, he had three minutes of gas against Colby on the feet, and he's definitely going to go (and fail) for takedowns like he's done against the last three strong wrestlers he faced.

Even if Demian goes full TJ with EPO, the fight will go the distance because it's still going to be two of the least athletically gifted fighters out of their comfort zone. Make no mistake about it, it will be an ugly fight for as long as it lasts. I still have Ben outworking him though.
Love both Ben and Maia, but this fight is certainly winnable for both of them. People are underestimating how hard it is to sweep or sub a wrestler who has solid sub defense and elite top control. Nothing against Maia, he is truly elite of the elite when it comes to submission grappling, but the guy laying on his back is at a tremendous disadvantage in MMA that not even Maia might be able to overcome against someone as elite as Ben. Also, people are ignoring the fact that Maia is 42 and is likely to gas after the first couple of wrestling exchanges.

Personally, I see this fight being won by Ben via positional dominance.

I get it, Ben lost so he's pretty much the biggest joke in the WW division because of it, but do you guys really believe that Demian won't gas himself out if the fight stays on the feet for too long? I mean, he had three minutes of gas against Colby on the feet, and he's definitely going to go (and fail) for takedowns like he's done against the last three strong wrestlers he faced.

Even if Demian goes full TJ with EPO, the fight will go the distance because it's still going to be two of the least athletically gifted fighters out of their comfort zone. Make no mistake about it, it will be an ugly fight for as long as it lasts. I still have Ben outworking him though.

maia will lose the same way he lost against jake shields...superior wrestling...

Because Maia is the better, more proven MMA fighter. And because Ben is funky and likes to scramble and I think that benefits Maia a lot.

maia will lose the same way he lost against jake shields...superior wrestling...

?? Shields won that Split decision by winning round 5 which was a sloppy kickboxing round. They were 2-2 before that, with maia getting the majority of takedowns and having the most dangerous positions.

also, Shields is a D1 wrestler and a gracie black belt with Elite bjj competition experience.

Ben is always putting himself in shitty positions because he is so confident his opponent is no threat there. If he does any of that lazy bullshit against Maia he will get tapped out.

its a weird match up. it dosnt matter if maia is better on the mat. all ben has to do is not get tapped out and try to stay on top. see jake shields vs maia

I do think maia is better. but mma judges don't give a fuck about bottom position or sub attempts if the guy gets out and stays on top.

Even shields had to result to striking to win. It was 2-2 going into the 5th, and then he stole round 5 and the split decision with a round of striking.

Maia fans were also confident against Woodley, Colby and Usman lol

Maia fans were also confident against Woodley, Colby and Usman lol
No we weren't! We all thought he was going to lose to those guys, but we had dreams. We aren't fair weather fucks who only stay with winners. Maia fans have souls.

DO YOU REMEMBER JAKE SHIELD MAN HANDLING MIA ON THE GROUND? WRESTLERS WITH BJJ WIN 8 OUT OF 10 VS. BJJ. WEIDMAN LOSING TO JACARE WAS ONE OF THE EXCEPTIONS.

Because Maia is the better, more proven MMA fighter. And because Ben is funky and likes to scramble and I think that benefits Maia a lot.

I think the opposite, Shields benefited greatly from being the faster scrambler in their fight.

I think the opposite, Shields benefited greatly from being the faster scrambler in their fight.

Shields is a gracie black belt who has tons of experience in elite bjj competitions. Askren hasn't proven to have that level of BJJ.

Also, shields lost 2 rounds grappling with maia and won 2. He won a split decision by having more output in the striking in round 5.

Shields is a gracie black belt who has tons of experience in elite bjj competitions. askren doesn't hasn't proven to have that level of BJJ.

Also, shields lost 2 rounds grappling with maia and won 2. He won a split decision by striking in round 5.

I'm aware how the fight went but the rounds Shields won on the ground were due to being the better scrambler and mat wrestler(which is what Askren is known for and where the funky nickname comes from) and IMO Askren is better than Shields at that and MMA grappling isn't the same as BJJ.

I think the fight can go either way but I think Askren will win out in most of the 50/50(scrambling) situations.

Lots of unknowns about askren still. Maia is proven... we know what he can and can't do.

but really I just wanna see Ben tap for his life and get turned into a gif again

I don't think Askren is going to resist the temptation of taking Maia down, it's like OCD to him.

I'm aware how the fight went but the rounds Shields won on the ground were due to being the better scrambler and mat wrestler and IMO Askren is better than Shields at that and MMA grappling isn't the same as BJJ.

I think shields is the far more proven MMA grappler. I honestly don't think that's even debatable. Just look at their records. I think if Maia gets Askren's back the way he got shields back twice, askren isn't getting him off.

He took down Shields but he kept getting reversed. I think it will be Askren getting the takedowns in this one though and Maia will be the one trying to reverse position. I think it will be a competitive grappling match.
Shields was juiced to the gills. I expect Maia to win a 3 round fight but lose a 5 rounder due to cardio.

Back