Why are so many writing off McGregor against Poirier in trilogy fight?

He and his fans ARE full of excuses. But they’re just as ridiculous as the haters who claim he’s never been a good fighter and that he’s all hype. Say what you want about him, but he’s a double champ and has some quality wins. Love him or hate him you cannot deny his accomplishments.
Cejudo, Nunes and DC are the real double champs, they actually defended their belts. You won't change my mind but feel free to waste your time

I don't give Conor much of a chance idk the exact stats but whoever wins the 2nd fight wins the trilogy in most case and the loser rarely ever wins an auto rematch, Conor also has no heart if he can't finish you within 2 rounds he will quit Dustin has improved so much and hopefully Conor retires for good after he loses to him again

WTF, are you for real or is this a troll job? Surely you don't actually believe this?

Poirier outlanded him in both rounds, systematically dismanted him, and took him out in impressive fashion. It was Poirier who dominated, and controlled exactly what happened in the fight.

N0CF9i7.gif

ScientificLongArgentinehornedfrog-size_restricted.gif

qseZA2X.gif

hxaOTQ0.gif

Looking those gifs, Conor was looking for the same exact combo the entire fight and got figured out. Poirier countered him hard with a right hook twice and hurt him both times. Those in fight adjustments are the difference.

because mma fans are convinced that what just happened will continue to happen. That anyone who lost a big fight recently is a can, and anyone who won a big fight recently is the potential goat

because he's done. a lot of his success came from intimidation / his own self-confidence, which is gone now. he has a puncher's chance in the first round and that's it.

Cowboy Cerrone fight was Conor's undoing - he felt so great and dispatched the opponent so easily. At FW he was in pure prime/survival mode due to weight cut. At comfortable weight he is kinda regular Conor. And after beating Cowboy, Conor got confirmation that he can do the same to any other lightweight

Don't understand the overwhelming number of folks out there who seem to think McGregor doesn't stand a chance. Do people forget how elite his striking is? I get it if you hate the guy, I don't like him either, he's bad for the sport, but you gotta give credit where it's due. Mcgregors striking is the best in the division, the way he outboxed Diaz, Eddie Alvarez, all the fights at FW, even the rematch against Poirier. He was dominating on the standup until Poirier compromised his leg completely. If not for the leg kicks, McGregor had the advantage especially since Poirier couldn't keep him down either.

It seems he was looking past Poirier, thinking he could easily outbox him and it showed.. He was flat footed, and very heavy on the feet, completely unlike how his previous fights were. Sure his gas tank is not the best, but unless you are taking him down, the chances of surviving on the feet for 5 rounds is tough unless your a zombie like Nate Diaz. It seems as though he has to just fix the issue with the leg kicks and he will be good. Poirier ain't the toughest matchup for him, he just can't take him lightly though and it doesn't seem like he is.

Toughest matchup is probably Michael Chandler, but think McGregor gets past him as well due to his size advantage, expect something similar to Mendes fight. Honestly don't hate me for saying this, but with Khabib gone, I can see McGregor being champ by end of 2021 if he gets past Poirier. Picking Conor against Poirier, only has to address a few small things, not like a Khabib fight.

I'm not

Adjust and Overcome

If he makes changes you will be able to hear the whistle

You say you don’t like Conor when you very clearly do lol

Conor has a chance if he catches him cold otherwise the likely scenario is he folds like the mentally weak fighter he is

Nah I just don't let my personal opinions on fighters affect my view of how skilled they are as well what they bring to the table. Not just another sherdog nuthugger or hater like most out there. Fan of the sport above all. Posted thread curious to see peoples opinions, and it turned out overwhelmingly in favour of what I was expecting lmao

Sherdog always has me entertained, especially after things go against that crowd, everybody converts to different fighters and suddenly start proclaiming the winner as someone great lol. Unless they are butthurt Conor fans after he loses but that's another group entirely.

Cejudo, Nunes and DC are the real double champs, they actually defended their belts. You won't change my mind but feel free to waste your time
I could care less to try to change your mind but whether you think he’s as legitimate as those other fighters are not, there’s no denying that he’s talented. N if you think he’s not, you’re clearly blinded by your hatred for the guy.

Looking those gifs, Conor was looking for the same exact combo the entire fight and got figured out. Poirier countered him hard with a right hook twice and hurt him both times. Those in fight adjustments are the difference.

Yep, he looked ridiculously basic. Poirier was better at every facet of the game, and was a step ahead the whole fight.

It's mindboggling to me how someone could watch that fight and come away thinking Conor got the better of the striking, let alone "dominated".

I'm guessing it's confirmation bias or something. Conor is simply nowhere near as good as the nuthuggers thought he was, and their mind is playing tricks on them, convincing themselves he did much better than he did.

He got flat out dismantled and demolished by Poirier.

Yep, he looked ridiculously basic. Poirier was better at every facet of the game, and was a step ahead the whole fight.

It's mindboggling to me how someone could watch that fight and come away thinking Conor got the better of the striking, let alone "dominated".

I'm guessing it's confirmation bias or something. Conor is simply nowhere near as good as the nuthuggers thought he was, and their mind is playing tricks on them, convincing themselves he did much better than he did.

He got flat out dismantled and demolished by Poirier.

Conor had a couple moments early on because he’s fast and explosive. He’s a good striker however I think he fights every fight the same way and isn’t very good at making adjustments, especially in fight adjustments. For a man that goes on and on about fighting philosophy, I think he has pretty basic fight iq. That’s where Poirier gets the better of him. Once he got the read on him, he styled on him and Conor couldn’t adjust.

Don't understand the overwhelming number of folks out there who seem to think McGregor doesn't stand a chance. Do people forget how elite his striking is? I get it if you hate the guy, I don't like him either, he's bad for the sport, but you gotta give credit where it's due. Mcgregors striking is the best in the division, the way he outboxed Diaz, Eddie Alvarez, all the fights at FW, even the rematch against Poirier. He was dominating on the standup until Poirier compromised his leg completely. If not for the leg kicks, McGregor had the advantage especially since Poirier couldn't keep him down either.

It seems he was looking past Poirier, thinking he could easily outbox him and it showed.. He was flat footed, and very heavy on the feet, completely unlike how his previous fights were. Sure his gas tank is not the best, but unless you are taking him down, the chances of surviving on the feet for 5 rounds is tough unless your a zombie like Nate Diaz. It seems as though he has to just fix the issue with the leg kicks and he will be good. Poirier ain't the toughest matchup for him, he just can't take him lightly though and it doesn't seem like he is.

Toughest matchup is probably Michael Chandler, but think McGregor gets past him as well due to his size advantage, expect something similar to Mendes fight. Honestly don't hate me for saying this, but with Khabib gone, I can see McGregor being champ by end of 2021 if he gets past Poirier. Picking Conor against Poirier, only has to address a few small things, not like a Khabib fight.
What is McGregor doing differently this time? I see nothing about a new gameplan, new sparring partners, new tips, nothing..
Chandler is an easier fight than Eddie, lets not kid ourselves... Justin would destroy Chandler.

Conor had a couple moments early on because he’s fast and explosive. He’s a good striker however I think he fights every fight the same way and isn’t very good at making adjustments, especially in fight adjustments. For a man that goes on and on about fighting philosophy, I think he has pretty basic fight iq. That’s where Poirier gets the better of him. Once he got the read on him, he styled on him and Conor couldn’t adjust.

Think the Diaz rematch showed for sure he knows how to make adjustments as well his ring iq. It's clear he was underestimating Poirier, knowing Conor, he only took the fight thinking it was an easier matchup and it came back to bite him in the ass. Not even fans saw the calf kicks coming, not something Poirier usually throws often.

If Conor was a bit lighter and less flat footed, he maybe would've found a way to effectively check those kicks but he came into the fight all wrong. If he addresses those issues, he has the advantage, don't know why people get so upset hearing that. If Poirer was a wrestler or someone with a chin like Diaz, things would be much tougher but as it is, Conor just needs to come in prepared right and he could very well win. Some one else said it in the thread, it's just silly to write him off against a striker.

Bcuz Dustin is the better overall fighter at LW. Plus the guy who wins the second fight usually wins the trilogy.

In their first fight at FW, Conor landed a somewhat lucky blow that grazed the back of Dustin's head (similar to Cain JDS 1), and then landed shots behind the head and got a TKO stoppage.

In the second fight at their more natural weight, Dustin showed that he's not just a striker, he's a complete MMA fighter with a diverse arsenal. While he may not be as powerful as Conor in the beginning, he had more cardio and heart. Unlike Nate who let Conor run away in the rematch, Dustin will go after him, he goes for the kill when he smells blood (see his fights with Eddie and Justin).
Dustin now has the mental advantage while Conor is likely to be timid after getting KTFO for the first time in his career. Also, the trilogy is only 6 months after the second fight, not too much time.

Overall Dustin should be the favorite, 65/35.

Because they hate him, plain and simple. McGregor will come in locked in. He's in the zone. No way Dustin takes this one.

I could care less to try to change your mind but whether you think he’s as legitimate as those other fighters are not, there’s no denying that he’s talented. N if you think he’s not, you’re clearly blinded by your hatred for the guy.
Couldn't...couldn't care less not could care less

I never said he wasn't talented. I just don't think he's as great as others make him out to be. His fans are awful; making constant excuses for him and calling anyone a hater who sees through the bs

Connor improved a lot in between both Diaz fights. He realized his mistakes and made changes. Not sure if he can do the same here though. I favor Dustin.

Back