1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Why are so many writing off McGregor against Poirier in trilogy fight?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by LoadedZeus, Apr 15, 2021.

1. LoadedZeus Purple Belt

Don't understand the overwhelming number of folks out there who seem to think McGregor doesn't stand a chance. Do people forget how elite his striking is? I get it if you hate the guy, I don't like him either, he's bad for the sport, but you gotta give credit where it's due. Mcgregors striking is the best in the division, the way he outboxed Diaz, Eddie Alvarez, all the fights at FW, even the rematch against Poirier. He was dominating on the standup until Poirier compromised his leg completely. If not for the leg kicks, McGregor had the advantage especially since Poirier couldn't keep him down either.

It seems he was looking past Poirier, thinking he could easily outbox him and it showed.. He was flat footed, and very heavy on the feet, completely unlike how his previous fights were. Sure his gas tank is not the best, but unless you are taking him down, the chances of surviving on the feet for 5 rounds is tough unless your a zombie like Nate Diaz. It seems as though he has to just fix the issue with the leg kicks and he will be good. Poirier ain't the toughest matchup for him, he just can't take him lightly though and it doesn't seem like he is.

Toughest matchup is probably Michael Chandler, but think McGregor gets past him as well due to his size advantage, expect something similar to Mendes fight. Honestly don't hate me for saying this, but with Khabib gone, I can see McGregor being champ by end of 2021 if he gets past Poirier. Picking Conor against Poirier, only has to address a few small things, not like a Khabib fight.

2. xhaydenx Black Belt

Had to stop reading here for a good laugh lol.

3. D'z Brown Belt

Because Conor's one of the biggest grifts in fight history. Hype-machine personified.

Rainer, Morax, dangerousD and 11 others like this.
  4. bean88 Green Belt

He’s very clearly on the decline and he also doesn’t have the size advantage anymore

His cardio is terrible
    His heart is questionable
    He’s rich

etc

Rainer, bigmacbub, Morax and 11 others like this.
  5. SecondToNone Orange Belt

Conor had his moments in the first fight, lack of defence on the calf kicks was shocking. Sitting his leg down and doing nothing, or catching a kick that landed and doing nothing, very poor. Finishing sequence was poor timing but the fight was lost.

He needs a camp focused on defence.

Rainer, Morax, contrail and 3 others like this.
  6. Crazysibop White Belt

People will never make logical predictions when its Conor. He is too divisive. One of the reason why he attracts so much attention.

7. Just Creed Gold Belt

I don't think he's an elite striker because he doesn't have the gas tank for it. He's a dangerous striker for sure.

I don't think he beats Dustin in the rematch personally. I think Dustin has too many later round finishes and has shown he can weather the storm. I think Dustin lands a late ko unless Conor catches him in the first round.

I also think Dustin has improved dramatically while Conor really hasn't

I personally don't care who wins but I think Dustin takes this

8. Dan Torrance Purple Belt

<{fry}>

I hate to break it to you but you're exactly the sort of person he should not be listening to if you want him to win this next fight.

He has a chance but the ground he needs to cover and the changes he needs to make are huge.

9. Just Creed Gold Belt

He and his fans are full of excuses. It's genuinely pathetic

10. usernamee Silver Belt

If Conor beats Poirier I can already sense all the haters incoming excuses lmao

markg171 likes this.
  11. Young Calf Kick Orange Belt

/thread

12. quadrunner Brown Belt

Because Sherdog hates Conor lol

Conor made necessary changes against nate for the rematch, not saying DP is nate but we know Conor is capable of making adjustments and to count him out of a match against a striker is just stupid imo

Dustin is a stud tho, so we will see

13. Sickbro69420 Purple Belt

I hope Dana makes a good deal with Dustin to take a dive. Like Dustin was able to beat the shit out of Connor in exchange for the trilogy red panty night. I agree with ts. Don't count out macgregor

fedorthegoat777 likes this.
  14. Brutus....... Yellow Belt

Conor did catch Dustin a few times early in the first fight, and wobbled him slightly.

He still has a chance, but if this next fight goes beyond the first, Conor is in deep trouble. His legs will be mincemeat, and he’ll be looking for a way out.

Sickbro69420 likes this.
  15. Dan Torrance Purple Belt

Look, if he makes the changes in time for this fight to beat Dustin then he will have the momentum behind him if he continues on the same trajectory to reclaim the LW title.

It's just insane because he'd have to know exactly what and how to practice and streamline it into one year when it should take 2 to 3.

16. LoadedZeus Purple Belt

Lmao you guys are talking about all the changes he needs to make from watching Poirier fight and haven't stated a single one. You guys are pathetic, seriously. Explain to me all the changes he needs to make. We have already addressed gas tank and leg kicks, I wanna hear about all the changes he needs to make, go on I'm curious.

bigmacbub and Melas Chasma like this.
  17. dildos Yellow Card Yellow Card

Yeah but could you brace yourself for his fans and their shitposting that would ensue??

SuperAlly likes this.
  18. DoNoootin Orange Belt

Recency bias. People have a tendency to think what just happened is more likely to happen again, or 'the last thing that happened' is 'more likely to happen', just like many thought Conor would easily smoke him in the 2nd, due to the 1st.

But this time, I am guessing there's a bit of... there being basically no time between the rematch, so people presume not much is going to change in that timespace.

Wormwood likes this.
  19. JayTeeM Yellow Belt

Poirier took McGregor's best punches and didn't go down. McGregor also didn't take the punches very well when he himself started to get hit. I don't think Conor has a good 5 rounds in him anymore so unless he can put something good on Poirier and finish him early, I see this fight as going the same way as what we saw in January.

20. Bull Terrier Black Belt

He is an accurate puncher and a good finisher who will always have a decent chance to get a stoppage, especially early in the fight. The reason his leg was "compromised" is because Dustin injured him with strikes though, it wasn't a fluke.

I think the fight goes longer this time but Dustin will win again and stop Conor in the later rounds. I honestly think McGregor is a front runner and will wilt if the fight drags on, but on the flipside it wouldn't surprise me if he caught Dustin early on.