Why Are So Many People Picking Rothwell To Beat Gonzaga??

True that, something like what Fedor did to Goodridge when he covered up.

2gvljtj_jpg.gif

absolutely

Rothwell is durable and will TKO Gonzaga at some point.

Gonzaga has a history of wilting. If Rothwell puts the pressure on him (which he often does), Gonzaga could easily wilt.

Because Rothwell deals best while putting pressure on people. Gonzaga does not.

Because Big Ben was a constant feature in the top 10 for years despite being in shit shape and looking like crap. Now that he's finally gotten serious about his conditioning he looks like he's added 20lbs of muscle and lost 30lbs of fat. He's still fairly skilled, although doubtful he'll ever be a contender - GG always chokes.

i dunno, i hear the points everybody is making about GG, but they're obviously trying to give him fights he can handle and i think this might be one of them.

rothwell isn't known for speed or power, and GG is dangerous as hell when he isn't under fire. something tells me GG lands something early and gets the upset here. rothwell is sluggish and GG can take this one.

i dunno, i hear the points everybody is making about GG, but they're obviously trying to give him fights he can handle and i think this might be one of them.

rothwell isn't known for speed or power, and GG is dangerous as hell when he isn't under fire. something tells me GG lands something early and gets the upset here. rothwell is sluggish and GG can take this one.

Did you see Rothwell's last fight? KO'd a guy GG lost to in 1 minute. Finished a lot of guys in the IFL too. I've got a feeling Rothwell is finally coming out of his co****.

Did you see Rothwell's last fight? KO'd a guy GG lost to in 1 minute. Finished a lot of guys in the IFL too. I've got a feeling Rothwell is finally coming out of his co****.

he's also 2-2 in the ufc, and the only fight he looked at all impressive in was the last one - and the guy he beat has a glass chin. i sure wouldn't put money on rothwell in this one.

And I think the events following the Cro Cop fight showed that Cro Cop wasn't elite anymore at that point. Foot injuries had robbed him of his movement, aggression, and lethal kicks.

He was one fight removed from winning the GP I thought?

i love gonazaga, but id say most people have given up on him as a pick in mma fights - he has lots of potential and we'll all wait for him to show it

I am not sure GG can get Rothwell to the ground, that is why personally.

is it just me that realizes that except for one fight over half a decade ago, their accomplishments are about the same? people have been calling him the best thing since sliced bread since.

don't judge a fighter on 1 highlight reel finish.

good matchup. i think GG should win, but i don't think it's outrageous to suggest otherwise.

He's been in with some pretty good HW grapplers and has only lost once via submission. Gonzaga's submissions at HW have proven to be against undersized guys with weak grappling backgrounds. Rothwell's huge, seemingly really on top of things fitness-wisefor the first time ever, and is tough enough to absorb anything Gonzaga throws at him (I think). Gonzaga doesn't wear a shot nearly well enough to take this one, IMO.

is it just me that realizes that except for one fight over half a decade ago, their accomplishments are about the same? people have been calling him the best thing since sliced bread since.

good matchup. i think GG should win, but i don't think it's outrageous to suggest otherwise.

people get quickly enamored with highlight reel finishes and guys with big power and submissions.

Why else would people constantly talk about Gonzaga having the tools to beat any hw when he's got very poor technical striking, average cardio, and mediocre wrestling?

And I think the events following the Cro Cop fight showed that Cro Cop wasn't elite anymore at that point. Foot injuries had robbed him of his movement, aggression, and lethal kicks.

Bullshit, everyone was on that Crocop hypetrain hard. I still remember all the threads of disbelief when gonzaga knocked him out. Crocop was expected to destroy the hw division.

Rothwell's record is much better IMO.

Wins over Devin Cole, Roy Nelson, K-Soz, Ricco Rodriguez, Gilbert Yvel, Brendan Schaub>Win over Cro Cop

A few things. Mainly a chin, a heart, huge KO power, and has been much more active than Gonzaga lately. He used to be my favorite heavyweight, but I can't look at the same since he let Schaub box his ass all around the octagon for 3 rounds.

If he was smarter and utilized his BJJ more and threatened with takedowns to open up his striking and huge kicks, I would expect him to be much more successful and a favorite going into this fight. However, I see Rothwell tagging and putting him away or taking over his heart and beating Gabe in a decision

To be fair, Schaub was boxing Nog's ass around the octagon until he got caught too. Schaub has some of the best boxing at HW. Just a glass chin.

Back