Why Are So Many People Picking Rothwell To Beat Gonzaga??

Because they don't know any better.

It really could go either way but Rothwell looked great in his last fight. Much better than he's looked in a while.

Ben actually improved a lot. Gonzaga - didnt look like it

Most likely Gonzaga will tire from beating the hell out of Ben, and lose in the 3rd.

honestly i don't think it has anything to do with rothwell so much as a lack of confidence in gonzaga - he's a very frustrating fighter: so much physical ability coupled with an impressive skill set, but when it matters most for him he finds a way to lose and this fight matters - not sure if it's a lack of mental toughness, discipline or cage IQ (although i suspect it's a lethal combination of all 3) but he's proven it time and time again and people are just tired of giving him the benefit of the doubt

This.

GG is the big tease - he's got the talent and skill to beat any HW in the world, but everyone has known for a long time what Randy Couture showed: Get in his face, punch him in the mouth a couple times, and he'll fold like a cheap suit.

Ben Rothwell will get in your face and punch you in the mouth repeatedly.

Good point. Remember when GG called a "time out" in the Couture fight haha! The ref says "there are no time outs" then Couture continued to destroy GG

Because they've been watching them both fight? Rothwell has looked a lot better recently.

The reason why I'm picking Rothwell over Gonzaga is because Rothwell is one durable mofo and I don't see Napao taking the kind of punishment Rothwell can. I think Big Ben will eventually TKO him.

Good point. Remember when GG called a "time out" in the Couture fight haha! The ref says "there are no time outs" then Couture continued to destroy GG

Oh yeah, i remember this, that was funny.
I don't believe in Gonzaga, i think he's overrated.... Ben Rothwell isn't that fight as well, but i think he can knock Gonzaga out...

Gonzaga's chin is a bit shaky in recent years and Rothwell's got pretty good power. Gonzaga has vicious leg kicks he'll likely attempt to employ. Gonzaga's ground game is light years ahead of Rothwell's.

So on paper, the edge would look to be in Gonzaga's favor but the mental fortitude and rock hard chin of Rothwell will be a great variable. Should be an interesting fight. I'm picking Rothwell by TKO in the 2nd.

This fight is Gonzaga's fight to lose. He has an edge over Rothwell in every department except mental toughness.

Unfortunately, that seems to be Gonzaga's biggest downfall. He's very inconsistent. I'm a huge fan of Gabe because the guy has the tools to be truly dominant. He's the epitome of not living up to potential.

I will say this though, guys who are citing Rothwell's durability are making a huge error. This fight could easily not be about how much punishment Rothwell can take, but about which body part Gabe wants to tear off and take home with him.

Gonzaga sometimes suffers from the Gurgel-syndrome.

I think it's just because GG often folds in long fights and Ben will fight till the end.

agreed. this fight will come down to endurance/fortitude/heart, and that's gg's greatest weakness.

Rothwell is a very hard hitter and a better striker, also his chin is solid diamond and he'll literally fight to the death. Just look at the Cain fight. He was completely gassed and Cain was just beating him up and then when the ref stopped it Rothwell complained and wanted to get his ass kicked even more.

Gonzaga doesn't have much heart, he practically gives up immediately if the fight doesn't go his way immediately and if someone attacks him. Schaub fight for example, I've never seen someone look so broken like Gonzaga did when Schaub first hit him mildly hard. Or the Randy fight, Randy got into his face and Gonzaga just spent the rest of the fight being a ragdoll and a heavy bag.

Rothwell hits hard and Gonzaga has been (T)KO'd 5 times before.

Also, Gonzaga has had a few bad performances.

Back